Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Working out alone

i have so many injuries from 19 years of weight training that i can't do many exercises that a partner would want to do. i know when i'm approaching failure and stop after the last rep i can do alone...experience has taught me what it feels like. of course i am deprived of the benefits one gets from training past failure but with my screwed up joints it's better not to push it that far on big compound movements (or else i'd be taking a long injury layoff anyway).
definitely use a partner until you truly know your body and the messages it sends.

i also wear a headset (mp3 player) so that would inhibit having a partner, too.

Alone. I will accept a spot occasionally when someone offers.
I like working past failure but don't want the hassle of looking
for help all the time. I do anything that traditionally requires a
spot in a power rack (box). MY problem is people running up
to me on my last rep to help out even though I have the rails
set where I can get out without being squashed. They are
usually pretty embarrassed when I show them that I can get
out no prob. I feel really bad for ruining a good Samaritan. I
hope no dumbass kid gets seriously hurt because someone
offered me help I didn't need and felt dumb.

zeke

I am lifting alone for a bit now. The wife got me a bench for Christmas a couple yrs ago. I bought a squat rack the next yr because if I bench heavy, I have a safety cage. I have played and repped out with 275 and been caught with no spot. Its a bitch to roll 275 down my fat ass. It compresses the fat enough to leave little bruises. I'd rather lift with a partner. Best friend has no dedication or responsibility. He won't call, just won't show. Thats unacceptable. I lift alone( does that sound kinda lke George Thorogood(sp)?)

I prefer to work out alone so that I don't have to deal with someone else's routine, bitching, and lazienss. I haven't found anyone committed to excellence to work out with. I'm tired of working out with people who use poor form in order to lift more weight and then try to brag about it. I hate working out with people who get in there and then complain about doing "work" in the gym.

For the most part I use dumbells to avoid needing a spotter, but when I want to max on bench I convince someone to work out with me.

The last time i didn't have a partner i almost couldn't get the last rep while i was benching and just about squashed myself. I had a serious survival mechanism kick in because the bar was starting to lower down and i ended up somehow getting the strength to push it back up.
I think i'll stick w/ a partner.:D

I prefer to work out alone because my routine is geared not only around my goals, but my injuries as well. It would be rather difficult for someone to train the same way I do, and it would irritate me to be constantly changing everything to fit or suit someone else. Plus, I do not like to talk when I am training.

"good job arioch...we sound similar with the injuries...also we both list our locations as Hell"

I think the one of us who has been married longer has seniority.

Top Bottom