Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whose the best athlete in all profesional sports

Randy Moss. The most dangerous offensive weapon in football history. We'll never know his full potential because no QB has ever been able to take full advantage of it. Brady is doing better than everyone else has and showed us a better glimpse at the real possibilities, but even Brady often underthrows him when he's behind the defense. The guy who coached him when he trained for 2 days to win the southern conferece indoor track meet was Carl Lewis's olympic track coach as well, and said that Randy is the best runner he's ever seen. He won the state's Mr. Basketball title twice in highschool while playing with a guy who would go on to be in the NBA. And they say that baseball was actually his best sport. I've seen video of him playing around with a soccer ball and scoring goals on people and he's good at that to. God only knows what other sports he would've been pro quality at. There are several guys with ridiculous amounts of athletic ability, but I can't think of many who could translate it so well to different sports.

Another guy who always comes to mind is Mike Tyson. We never saw what his prime would've been like. We never saw anything close to a prime with him. And yet what we did see was probably still unbeatable at it's best. Really sad to think about what was wasted there.

yeah right. physical cornerbacks make randy disappear.
putting randy moss in this discussion is retarded. he hates contact, and he's not strong. he's not like a T.O. type receiver (who i hate) who can overpower guys because of his strength when he gets jammed.

randy doesnt even have the blazing out of the gate speed other receivers have, he's more of a long stride type.

he's a great receiver, don't get me wrong. but he can be neutralized and NOWHERE in the league of greatest athlete

putting randy moss in this discussion is retarded. he hates contact, and he's not strong. he's not like a T.O. type receiver (who i hate) who can overpower guys because of his strength when he gets jammed.

randy doesnt even have the blazing out of the gate speed other receivers have, he's more of a long stride type.

he's a great receiver, don't get me wrong. but he can be neutralized and NOWHERE in the league of greatest athlete

he's got a tanker full of God-given athletic ability. . .which has been surpassed on many occassions by his attitude. . .not that anybody did, but he should not be mentioned in the same sentence as jerry rice. . .

What cornerbacks make Randy dissapear? The only time he dissapears is when shots aren't taken at him. If it was as simple as just jamming him at the line then that's what teams would do and he wouldn't be dropping 20+ TD seasons on the league. I remember once when he was with the Vikings, the GB Packers actually lined two corners up right over him and had them attack him like he was a runner on punt coverage. Is he as big and strong as TO? No, but neither was Jerry Rice. It's not all about being the strongest. Strength and being able to fight off a NFL DB's jam isn't the gold standard in which all around athletic ability is judged.

I don't know what leads you to believe that he doesn't have blazing out of the gate speed. Deion Sanders was on record with the fastest 10yd takeoff in NFL history, and Bobby Bowden says that when Randy got to FSU, he ran a faster 40 than Deion did. 40yds is a pretty short distance that gives a good idea of somone's out of the gate speed, and when a guy runs a faster 40 than someone who has the fastest 10yd takeoff in NFL history, I think it's safe to say that his out of the gate speed is decent. The 55m is also an event he won at the southern track championships. Shortest event in track that is based completely on out of the blocks speed. Here is a video with Hall, who was timed in the sub 4.2's talking about Randy's speed (pay attention to the reference he makes concerning TO, who do think he feels is tougher to cover?), along with some highlights that best display his speed. Two plays that stand out concerning his acceleration are the screen pass against the Titans. Watch how quickly he pulls away from Samari Roll (#21) and the screen pass vs the Saints. #23 is Kevin Mathis, who was listed in Sporting News a few years earlier as the fastest man in the NFL with a 4.19 time... watch how Moss out accelerates, and then just pulls away from him and the rest of the field.

YouTube - Randy Moss vikings highlights

The notion that Moss's speed is lacking in any department is beyond ridiculous. When a guy who coached Carl Lewis for the Olympics says that Moss is the best runner he's ever seen, I think I'm going to go with his opinion and what my own eyes see on the matter. Another thing about Moss that's just sick is that in an interview I read a few years ago, he claimed that he's never really ran just all out as fast as he possibly could in a game because it's never been necessary.

And speaking of Deion Sanders, someone else mentioned him here as a canidate, and he definitely deserves it. However, he was a guy who was known for not being a big fan of contact, and wasn't a big muscle bound power player. Does that really matter when discussing his ability as a great athlete? Bobby Bowden also says that Deion was the greatest athlete he ever saw, until Randy showed up. Is that meaningless because their arms aren't as big as TO's?

And if you notice, my post didn't name Moss just because of his accomplishments as a receiver. That alone wouldn't make him worthy of the title. I see him as one of the greatest athletes because as great as he is as a receiver, it's said that football wasn't even his best sport, that baseball was! So think about what type of baseball player he could've been? Then there's the fact that he could be in the NBA, and that a guy who coached the man considered by many to be one of the greatest sprinters and olympians of all time says that Randy is better, and you are left discusssing a guy who is just flat out ridiculous at a host of different sports.

If you have another canidate, then please feel free to post them up with some reasoning. But calling my observation retarded while claiming things that clearly aren't supported by the evidence doesn't make for a very productive discussion on the topic.

What cornerbacks make Randy dissapear? The only time he dissapears is when shots aren't taken at him. If it was as simple as just jamming him at the line then that's what teams would do and he wouldn't be dropping 20+ TD seasons on the league. I remember once when he was with the Vikings, the GB Packers actually lined two corners up right over him and had them attack him like he was a runner on punt coverage. Is he as big and strong as TO? No, but neither was Jerry Rice. It's not all about being the strongest. Strength and being able to fight off a NFL DB's jam isn't the gold standard in which all around athletic ability is judged.

I don't know what leads you to believe that he doesn't have blazing out of the gate speed. Deion Sanders was on record with the fastest 10yd takeoff in NFL history, and Bobby Bowden says that when Randy got to FSU, he ran a faster 40 than Deion did. 40yds is a pretty short distance that gives a good idea of somone's out of the gate speed, and when a guy runs a faster 40 than someone who has the fastest 10yd takeoff in NFL history, I think it's safe to say that his out of the gate speed is decent. The 55m is also an event he won at the southern track championships. Shortest event in track that is based completely on out of the blocks speed. Here is a video with Hall, who was timed in the sub 4.2's talking about Randy's speed (pay attention to the reference he makes concerning TO, who do think he feels is tougher to cover?), along with some highlights that best display his speed. Two plays that stand out concerning his acceleration are the screen pass against the Titans. Watch how quickly he pulls away from Samari Roll (#21) and the screen pass vs the Saints. #23 is Kevin Mathis, who was listed in Sporting News a few years earlier as the fastest man in the NFL with a 4.19 time... watch how Moss out accelerates, and then just pulls away from him and the rest of the field.

YouTube - Randy Moss vikings highlights

The notion that Moss's speed is lacking in any department is beyond ridiculous. When a guy who coached Carl Lewis for the Olympics says that Moss is the best runner he's ever seen, I think I'm going to go with his opinion and what my own eyes see on the matter. Another thing about Moss that's just sick is that in an interview I read a few years ago, he claimed that he's never really ran just all out as fast as he possibly could in a game because it's never been necessary.

And speaking of Deion Sanders, someone else mentioned him here as a canidate, and he definitely deserves it. However, he was a guy who was known for not being a big fan of contact, and wasn't a big muscle bound power player. Does that really matter when discussing his ability as a great athlete? Bobby Bowden also says that Deion was the greatest athlete he ever saw, until Randy showed up. Is that meaningless because their arms aren't as big as TO's?

And if you notice, my post didn't name Moss just because of his accomplishments as a receiver. That alone wouldn't make him worthy of the title. I see him as one of the greatest athletes because as great as he is as a receiver, it's said that football wasn't even his best sport, that baseball was! So think about what type of baseball player he could've been? Then there's the fact that he could be in the NBA, and that a guy who coached the man considered by many to be one of the greatest sprinters and olympians of all time says that Randy is better, and you are left discusssing a guy who is just flat out ridiculous at a host of different sports.

If you have another canidate, then please feel free to post them up with some reasoning. But calling my observation retarded while claiming things that clearly aren't supported by the evidence doesn't make for a very productive discussion on the topic.

you make some ok points, but your video highlights hardly justify what you're saying.

you mention the screen pass against the titans, in which moss gets a bunch of good blocks (and has 1 good move)...but he's running straight downhill and everyone else is behind the play and running at and angle.

In almost all those highlights, moss has a free release and for a DB to turn and run it's almost impossible to catch a WR streaking(especially a fast one). Half of those plays didn't even have a safety over the top deep enough in coverage.

bobby bowden's been around for awhile, but he can only really attest to his own program's player...and FSU is an ok school historically for football players, but that's just the opinion of 1 man's program.

i'm not saying randy isn't a great receiver, but you also have to look at what defines "the best athlete". the best athlete has to also be completely dominant at his position

randy can definetely be neutralized, and he was this year. he wans't last year because the offensive line of the patriots was ridiculous, they had one of the best quarterbacks in the game and a million other weapons to cover.

What cornerbacks make Randy dissapear? The only time he dissapears is when shots aren't taken at him. If it was as simple as just jamming him at the line then that's what teams would do and he wouldn't be dropping 20+ TD seasons on the league. I remember once when he was with the Vikings, the GB Packers actually lined two corners up right over him and had them attack him like he was a runner on punt coverage. Is he as big and strong as TO? No, but neither was Jerry Rice.

you did exactly what i asked you not to do. . .a pox on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom