Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

When jogging, does a cold enviroment enhance fat loss?

buddy28

Im 6'4, 210 pounds, 38 inch waist. BF% ??. Trying to lose a few inches off my gut.

My diet is clean, and Im jogging, outside, 5 nights a week for 30 minutes. However, the outdoor temperature is usally around -15 to -20 degrees. I work up a mild sweat while jogging. Will cold temperatures inhibit fat loss while jogging, help it, or have no effect ?

Also, my buddy was telling me I have to jog 4+ nights a week in order for fat loss to occur. Is this true?

Thanks for your help,

Won't have any effect.

You body doesn't need to expire any additional energy to heat itself up since it is already plenty warm from the excersize.

Be careful with cardio in the cold wear something over your mouth so that the air you breathe in is not freezing that can cause damage to your lungs over time.

I agree with Enock - I don't think it will make an enormous difference...but I'm confident it won't hurt fat loss at all....

DDC - where did you hear that the body stores fat in cold weather?? If this was true - all eskimos would be relatively obese....

As a matter of fact - cold weather induces shivering - which would increase the metabolic rate - if anything.....

I've actually heard that doing cardio in cold/cool weather could be beneficial for fat loss precisely because the body has to make the extra effort to stay warm.....not sure if I buy it or not - and I have no evidence to support it......sorry...:(

Stryc-9 said:
I agree with Enock - I don't think it will make an enormous difference...but I'm confident it won't hurt fat loss at all....

DDC - where did you hear that the body stores fat in cold weather?? If this was true - all eskimos would be relatively obese....

As a matter of fact - cold weather induces shivering - which would increase the metabolic rate - if anything.....

I've actually heard that doing cardio in cold/cool weather could be beneficial for fat loss precisely because the body has to make the extra effort to stay warm.....not sure if I buy it or not - and I have no evidence to support it......sorry...:(

Exercise in cold weather does raise the metabolic rate. The body requires more calories to stay warm. IMO it's an even draw on whether this helps or hinders fat loss. Your metabolism is up so you are burning more cals, but you MUST take in cals to stay warm. Shivering is an involuntary response that is intended to raise body temp thru contraction of muscles. The body does have a propensity to store fat in cold weather, but this takes place over extended periods of time. Fat is an insulator. I don't know about high percentages of obesity in Eskimos, but I bet they have higher-than-average body fat percentages. Body is cold so it needs more cals to stay warm so you take in more cals and many are burned for energy some are stored as fat which keeps you warm but then burns some for energy (heat) so you get colder and need more cals...you can see the cycle.

Doing exercise in cold weather won't harm your lungs-I guess in sub zero weather repeated outdoor runs wouldn't be great, but around freezing it won't make a difference. Your body temp is around 98.6 which is pretty warm so once 5-7 liters of 30 degree air enters your lungs it will warm up fast. Think about how quickly the interior of your car warms up and there's no way your car heater is above 90 degrees and the interior is like 1000 liters or something.

FHG

buddy28 said:
Im 6'4, 210 pounds, 38 inch waist. BF% ??. Trying to lose a few inches off my gut.

My diet is clean, and Im jogging, outside, 5 nights a week for 30 minutes. However, the outdoor temperature is usally around -15 to -20 degrees. I work up a mild sweat while jogging. Will cold temperatures inhibit fat loss while jogging, help it, or have no effect ?

Also, my buddy was telling me I have to jog 4+ nights a week in order for fat loss to occur. Is this true?

Thanks for your help,

I didn't see some of the stuff in your original post. Uugghh....-15 to -20 degrees. Shit that might not be good for ya...definitely cover your mouth. Your lungs won't freeze, but taxing your lungs significantly-like wind sprints-could induce bronchial spasms.

Damn thats cold.

FHG

fhg43 is right in his statement that cold weather does raise the metabolic rate in the human body

fhg43 said:

Exercise in cold weather does raise the metabolic rate. The body requires more calories to stay warm. IMO it's an even draw on whether this helps or hinders fat loss. Your metabolism is up so you are burning more cals, but you MUST take in cals to stay warm. Shivering is an involuntary response that is intended to raise body temp thru contraction of muscles. The body does have a propensity to store fat in cold weather, but this takes place over extended periods of time. Fat is an insulator. I don't know about high percentages of obesity in Eskimos, but I bet they have higher-than-average body fat percentages. Body is cold so it needs more cals to stay warm so you take in more cals and many are burned for energy some are stored as fat which keeps you warm but then burns some for energy (heat) so you get colder and need more cals...you can see the cycle.

Doing exercise in cold weather won't harm your lungs-I guess in sub zero weather repeated outdoor runs wouldn't be great, but around freezing it won't make a difference. Your body temp is around 98.6 which is pretty warm so once 5-7 liters of 30 degree air enters your lungs it will warm up fast. Think about how quickly the interior of your car warms up and there's no way your car heater is above 90 degrees and the interior is like 1000 liters or something.

FHG

Enock said:
Be careful with cardio in the cold wear something over your mouth so that the air you breathe in is not freezing that can cause damage to your lungs over time.

yup, i forget what exactly happens but you can get pretty damn sick from that.

Top Bottom