Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What Do You Think About The Patients Rights Bill??

MattTheSkywalker said:

This is an example of a bill written for lawyers and by lawyers - simply put, it increases thenumber of lawsuits that will be filed, thereby giving attorneys more work and more money.

What some people don;t know is that many law firms contribute enormous sums of money (into the millions per year) to the Democratic party in order to prevent any tort reform from being legislated - in other words, lawyers pay Democrats to keep the courts backlogged.

Matt, you are also leaving a big piece of the pie out of your argument. While attorneys do contribute a great deal of money to the Democratic party, the insurance industry also contributes a large amount of money to the Republican party. So in some sense, these two lobbyist groups wash each other out.

With that aside, you have misconstrued what, in fact, this bill does----it isn't as easy to sue as you think it will be. First, an independent review committee must make a finding as to the claim----It's not a straight line into the courtroom. Further, in states that have already enacted HMO reform, the number of lawsuits have actually went down as a result of the reforms----Lawsuits have not increased.

You know Matt, you should consider that President Bush and Vice-President Cheney have their healthcare paid for by us, the taxpayers. Do you think Vice-President Cheney had to just "accept" the decision of his insurance company as to whether or not he could receive a certain procedure? Of course, he didn't. So don't you think its only fair that other Americans, who aren't asking for a free ride but only for Accountability, have the right to sue their HMO if that HMO abuses its power by denying claims or benefits that the insured is worthy of receiving?

I find it rather amusing that we are even debating a person's right to sue, particularly since this is really a contractual issue. Your HMO provides you medical coverage, you in turn pay premiums----you in turn should receive what you pay for.

This is simply an issue about Accountability and Fairness. To reframe the issue in any other light is not only unfair to all the taxpayers, but particularly to those who might need quality care the most---the young and the elderly......................

RyanH said:

Matt, you are also leaving a big piece of the pie out of your argument. While attorneys do contribute a great deal of money to the Democratic party, the insurance industry also contributes a large amount of money to the Republican party. So in some sense, these two lobbyist groups wash each other out.

With that aside, you have misconstrued what, in fact, this bill does----it isn't as easy to sue as you think it will be. First, an independent review committee must make a finding as to the claim----It's not a straight line into the courtroom. Further, in states that have already enacted HMO reform, the number of lawsuits have actually went down as a result of the reforms----Lawsuits have not increased.

You know Matt, you should consider that President Bush and Vice-President Cheney have their healthcare paid for by us, the taxpayers. Do you think Vice-President Cheney had to just "accept" the decision of his insurance company as to whether or not he qualified to receive a certain procedure? Of course, he didn't. So don't you think it's only fair that other Americans, who aren't asking for a free ride but only for Accountability, have the right to sue their HMO if that HMO abuses its power by denying claims or benefits that the insured is worthy of receiving---per the terms of their HMO contract?

I find it rather amusing that we are even debating a person's right to sue, particularly since this is really a contractual issue. Your HMO provides you medical coverage, you in turn pay premiums----you in turn should receive what you pay for.

This is simply an issue about Accountability and Fairness. To reframe the issue in any other light is not only unfair to all the taxpayers, but particularly to those who might need quality care the most---the young and the elderly......................

MATT, good point and I have to wonder who is PAYING the REPUBLICANS? I feel that they will try to get things back to the good ole reagan/bush era and the rich now will get back what few things they lost in the clinton years or simply put PAYBACK? I pray gw only has one term and hopefully chaney will LIVE through it or we may really be in TROUBLE! PLEASE REPLY AND THIS IS A DISCUSSION NOT A FREE FOR ALL TO THE REST OF YOU JUST CONTRIBUTE YOUR OPINIONS W/OUT THE BASHING!

Badkins21 said:
Ryan and I have debated this in the past, but I will state this fact again: Healthcare is NOT a right, it's a privilege; just like a house, a job, and food on the table. Liberals believe that since a human being is BORN, they deserve these things...And if these "things" just popped out of thin air, I would, too. But they don't; they take work, and money. The more "power" we give to sue, to abuse, and to loot the 'big, bad' HMO's, drug companies, hospitals, etc., the more they will pass those costs onto you, the CONSUMER!!
Badkins-someone served you a shit sandwich and you are the whole damn thing.
I have been an RN for six years now and see firsthand the bullshit put forth by HMO's where in most cases a BUSINESSPERSON is making a decision about what's right FOR YOUR HEALTHCARE. You havent seen people not getting the referrals that they need, not getting the right medications because they arent reimbursed.
When you have something to say-have references-real life (like mine) and tangible statistics.
BUSH IS NOT A PATIENT ADVOCATE!!

Bump for more input from those who work in the healthcare industry.

Top Bottom