Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Westside

the point of westside is fixing/correcting those weaknesses. you find your weak points and for lack of a better term, "kill that shit". hehe. this is why you use the repetition method, perhaps a 5x5 early on, to see your weak points without being at 100% max effort where form can really break down fast.

bignate73 said:
the point of westside is fixing/correcting those weaknesses. you find your weak points and for lack of a better term, "kill that shit". hehe. this is why you use the repetition method, perhaps a 5x5 early on, to see your weak points without being at 100% max effort where form can really break down fast.
exactly

As long as I keep a "good" form, it's OK

The issue with 1 RM and training to failure is that you tend to cheat and/or use a bad form

Have you ever tried training Westside ?

Anthrax said:

The issue with 1 RM and training to failure is that you tend to cheat and/or use a bad form

ive incorporated their ideas into my training..but i have not done a wsb "routine"..im on 5x5 right now and things are going very well..i will however run something like the link i gave you ..

Anthrax said:

i used it for about 9 months fairly close to by the book. i dropped DE work for upper body because it was really hard on my shoulders. i may bring it back later for a small microcycle soon, i have to get another band (only have one). Now I follow the same upper lower pattern, but rotate squat, DL and GM emphasis moves for lower and Bench and OHP for upper. worked well for a while, now i'm slowly adding in more volume via 5x5. i had maxed out my gains doing alot of ME work, so i need more volume so i can struggle a bit and pack on a bit more muscle/better leverage.

Ah, a question that I have thought of since I started lifting weights. I would say, NO!
Now before other members want to start a fight, I was a competitive powerlifter, and used a pure Westside template. Max work, speed work, GM's, band, chains, reverse hypers, glute-ham, I used them all. Westside makes you a very powerful deadlifter, squatter and partial range of motion bencher.
A powerlifter wants to forget the lift, hit it and get the fuck out.
A bodybuilder wants to remember the weight, the pump, sore muscles.
Westside will gear your body to lifting explosively, which moves more weight, but does not recruit the most muscle fibers.
Benching in a Westside program will develop your triceps and delts well, but does nothing for your chest. Its a program geared towards a shirted bench, and works well for that.
The volume of work sets and the inclusion of speed work does nothing for a bodybuilder.
If you want to lift heavy, take a note from Mike Francois. Louie Simmons was a cornerstone in his career, and had him lift heavy, but not Westside.
If you want, do 2-5 rep squats, deadlifts and benches. But as a bodybuiler, you would want to include accessory lifts like DB presses, flyes, side raises, leg presses, leg ext., etc.
Check out Francois' training: http://www.mikefrancois.com/trainingtips.htm

Once again, Westside works well for powerlifters/other athletes, but is not for bodybuilders. :chomp:

I'd think that the principles could be used...but the accessory exercises would have to be changed quite a bit. Over time you would have to pick and choose what parts work best for your needs.

I am a Pro Strongman and I use WSB as my template. I've found a few things:
1) I need more quad work
2) I need more rep work
3) My GPP must be MUCH higher than a powerlifters
4) DE upper does not work for me and my needs
5) I need more overhead work
6) I need more bicep work
etc...

You have to change the template for your needs. I think that Bands and Chains could be GREAT for anyone...ESPECIALLY for the bodybuilder.

B True

I do a westside program and have been while cutting. I found that it preserved my lean mass and strength REALLY nicely. I will definitely be following it while bulking... I think the strength and mass gains will be immense.

I do like to train like a powerlifter and eat like a bodybuilder. I find that works best for me overall.

Top Bottom