Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Want to be a competetive strong man! Advice advice needed

Tomek.. The HULK said:
Current stats:
6'1
225 pounds
18 years old

Lifts:
180lb bench
220lb squat
265lb dead lift
170lb military press

Story:
Have been cutting down from 280 pounds and have lost most of my strenght, although when i was stronger i wasn't eating clean therefore i didn't even get close to my true potential and i have a BIG potential im Polish (pudzianowski) lol.. jks.. but as said i have been told i have much potential.r
I only started the squats and dead lifts last week and still perfecting my form..
In a few months i will be joining the army and my plan is to use all the resources i get to train for strong men competition.. im hoping after 2 years of training i can be to a high enough level to compete in a state event and the after 4 years of training go for a national event (Australia). Pending on my results i will decide if i want to keep advancing.
When i mean train i mean train... i won't miss a workout! i will eat as clean as possible! i will train to my 100% intencity... i have the will power and motivation to fuel me...
Now im just wondering if im just getting a bit on the dreams sides of things.. if i am dreaming stop reading now please and just tell me so..
If im not dreaming and it's possible please tell me how i would start into this.. any links for some useful training, mass sizes.. etc..
My plan is on cutting down to 185lb and then bullking up..
4 days a week of training and on saturday some direct strong men training.. basically my knowledge on this stuff is low..
What sort of strenght and lifts would i need to be doing to be competitive (state and national level)?

Opinions, advice, links all greatly apreciated and if you do have something to say please share it.. as this is my #1 priority for years to come and i WILL stop at nothing to achieve it!

Cheers

Alright here's my opinion on it. First off stop losing weight, focus on gaining muscle and strength. In general being very lean is a detriment to strength training. Just clean up your diet and lift hard, heavy, and often. Most pro's are in the 280-330lb range so you don't want to drop to 185 then have to slap another 100lbs back on. The only problem with being in the army and doing heavy strength training is you will not be able to carry as much weight as would be optimal. You are going to be doing lots of running and running is not good for gaining mass.

On the plus side you are very young for the sport, I was 27 when I started competing. So you have lots of time to work on it. Focus on building core strength and lifts like: Squat, Deadlift, OHP. Build your grip strength as best you can. Make your shoulders as strong as possible they do a lot of work. Also you need to train with the implements, gym lifts don't transfer very well to most of the newer strongman events. Also check into doing local comps where you can meet people and possible find places to train with the implements as opposed to spending a large sum to acquire them yourself.

Never give up on your dreams, work as hard as you can for it, and once you start competing you can decide how far you want to take it.

Remember: Train hard, train smart, train often.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Top Bottom