Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thoughts on Volume, Frequency, Genetics

casualbb

Plat Hero
Platinum
Frequency: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this is the most important variable in a training system. Why? Well, the timeframe for muscular growth is hard-wired into people. More intense workouts don't elongate the time necessary to repair the muscle. This is because, at the cellular level, the same thing occurs every time there's damage. mRNA is activated, IGF-1 spills out, etc, etc. This response lasts, at best, 48 hours.

If you don't buy that, PM me because the response is technical.

It makes sense, then, that in order to be in a continuous state of growth, one should work muscles about every 48 hours.

Volume and Genetics: I'm generally a low volume advocate because, the truth is, you really only need one single set to cause growth. But, it's not quite so simple. With volume, it's a case of diminishing returns. That second set WILL CAUSE MORE GROWTH over that first set. But is it going to be twice as much growth? No. The third set? Even less additional growth. Those who are familiar with math will recognize this as a very steep asymptotic function.

So what's the appropriate volume? Here's where the "everybody's different" argument can be applied correctly. People mistakenly use that argument in a Mentzer sort of way to determine frequency. That's counterproductive because our growth is all based on the human norm timeframe. It's all about how much volume one can handle without compromising frequency. Because, more volume is better, but not if you need more time off. Recovery Genetics should determine training volume, not frequency.

So many programs are based around some magic combination of reps and sets. Like the 5x5 program. Why 5x5? No particular reason. My guess would be because they're both 5's, and people like symmety, as well as numbers that are related to 10, the base number system we use. Would 5x3 be any less effective? Probably not. In fact, you could probably work out more than once a week if you dropped the volume in such a way.

HST acknowledges that the volume isn't so set in stone. Nowhere on the site does it say "do x sets," it just says "Start with one of everything. If you still feel energetic, bump it to 2." Etc. I'd love to see more people try HST, because if you already do 5x5 or AnimalMass DFHT, it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to see where HST would be very effective.

-casual

Last edited:
I agree with the volume vs. recovery time. I feel it would be better to hit a muscle twice a week with less intensity than once a week with insane intensity.

Also, it has been said that someone just starting out a lifting program can get away with simply one set for the first six months as that is enough to stimulate growth in a newbie.

I also agree that adding more volume decreases the ROI (return on investment). The extra little bit of muscle gained isn't worth waiting the extra days for complete recovery.

T-Rage said:
I also agree that adding more volume decreases the ROI (return on investment). The extra little bit of muscle gained isn't worth waiting the extra days for complete recovery.

Totally agree re: diminishing returns, but I do think that you need some level of volume...

I'm also partial to more frequent workouts than once a week. 2-3 days in between the same workout is my norm.

Why do people do workouts like 5x5 and DFHT? Strength gains, bigger weights etc... But I think one big reason would be that they are more enjoyable workouts.

Last edited:
I don't fully agree - you do need a certain amount of volume to create the right amount of protein degradation to trigger strutural changes. Nueral changes don't require as much volume though.

casualbb,

Can you please give a short answer to why you think it takes a muscle 48hours to recover?

Thanks.

-sk

and what are you basing all this on?
what uni do you go to? what are you studying?

5x5 is taken from many years of study. its not some numbers pulled out of the air. it is almost offensive the way you have said it.

how much do you get paid to advertise HST?

Top Bottom