Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Greatest German General You've Never Heard of...

On 7th December 1942 the understrength 1st Soviet Tank Corps, part of the Soviet 5th tank army under Romanenko, crossed the Chir and proceeded almost unopposed towards State Farm 79 and Sysoykin. This movement put the Soviet corps behind the Germans along the Chir and threatened to roll up the entire German line. The German 11th panzer under Balck was stationed as a mobile reserve behind the Chir and launched a counter-attack at dawn on the 8th. The German armour caught the Soviet infantry as they were moving into Sysoykin and destroyed them. The following German panzer-grenadiers mopped up while the German armour sped on, cutting off the Soviet armour from their bridgehead by occupying the high ground between them and Nizhnyaya Kalinovka. The Soviet armour attempted to escape the encirclement, but lost over 50 tanks in the process, along with posession of State Farm 79 and Sysoykin. The first battle of State Farm 79 had ended in a decisive German victory.

The battles on the Chir River were a masterpiece of tactical improvisation by the Germans, conducted almost entirely by hastily organized contingents of service troops. Had it not been for the availability of the 11th Panzer Division as a "fire brigade" counterattack force, the German defenders would almost certainly have been doomed to eventual annihilation in their positions clustered along the Chir. The deft counterattacks by 11th Panzer Division repeatedly exploited speed, surprise, and shock action to destroy or scatter numerically superior Soviet forces. The rolling steppes provided a nearly ideal battlefield for mobile warfare, and the tank-versus-tank engagements almost resembled clashes in the North African desert more than they did other battles in Russia.

The Germans proved their tactical mastery through these battle, but having said that, the Soviet attacks on the Chir front were not conducted in overwhelming strength. They were intended primarily as diversions to pin down German forces and to prevent reinforcement of the Stalingrad relief expedition (see Scenarios from the Front "[Stalingrad] Operation Winter Storm"). The Russian assaults were piecemeal. Instead of a single, powerful attack in one sector, the Red Army forces jabbed at the Chir line for nearly two weeks with several smaller blows. As a result, the Germans were able to make the most of their limited armored reserves. Equally beneficial to the Germans was the poor Soviet combined arms coordination in these battles. The Russian attacks were conducted mainly by tank forces, and the Soviet infantry played only a minor accompanying role. The Germans therefore concentrated their panzers solely on the destruction of the enemy armour and paid scarcely any attention to the enemy riflemen. This greatly magnified German combat power, placing a premium on the superior tactical skill of the German tank crews while allowing the weaker German infantry to remain huddled in dugouts.

But the 11th Panzer Division could never hold the ground that it won by counter-attack. To defend terrain required infantry, and neither the panzer formations nor the overextended German infantry divisions had sufficient riflemen to conduct a positional defense. Also, German tanks performed best in fluid combat and were notably less successful when trying to drive Red Army troops from their consolidated positions. For example, the Soviets managed to hold a few well-entrenched bridgeheads on the western bank of the Don-Chir line despite repeated German armoured attacks.

Page 1
Sowchos (Collective Farm) 79
December 1942
Following the encirclement of the Sixth Army at Stalingrad, the Germans planned to launch the relief effort
from the bridgehead at Nizhna Chirskaya, 25 miles from the nearest troops of the Sixth Army at Marinowka.
The Chir River was to provide the left flank for the operation, and consequently had to be held. Attempting to
foil the German relief effort, elements of the Russian Fifth Tank Army attacked across the Chir and forced its
way past the left flank of the defending 336th Infantry division, and on to Sowchos 79, a collective farm deep in
the German rear. General Balck's 11th "Ghost" Panzer Division, just arriving in the area from Rostov to take
part in the relief of Stalingrad, was detoured to attack Sowchos 79 and restore the situation.
This game represents the attack by the 11th Panzer Division on Sowchos 79 on December 8th.

I've loaded this scenario up right now
I'm the Germans
there's snow

damn first turn the soviet AI has appeared
36 T-34s advancing on a village defended by a german machine gun platoon

I have 4 sturmgeshutzes and some 88mm to hold until elements of 11th panzer arrive

40% of US GIs on the western front were of german descent

and java
Balck's 11th panzer was nicknamed
the Gespensterdivision (Ghost Division)

2zipojn.jpg

Good info! I wonder where the nickname came from? Maybe it had something to do with always moving at night to avoid detection?

Good info! I wonder where the nickname came from? Maybe it had something to do with always moving at night to avoid detection?

the division's actions in france '40
back then as your info listed Balck was just a regimental cmdr
you know WWII history there are loads of Germans who advanced through the ranks as the war progressed
I don't really consider balck as a general
he was an excellent field commander
which in my opinion is the supreme barometer of leadership ability
my personal favorite is Joachim Peiper
but there's no shortage of fine German field commanders
they taught how to fight modern war while doing it
band of brothers blah blah
german paratroops were taking out impregnable fortresses in 1940
before anyone else knew what an airborne assualt was

the division's actions in france '40
back then as your info listed Balck was just a regimental cmdr
you know WWII history there are loads of Germans who advanced through the ranks as the war progressed
I don't really consider balck as a general
he was an excellent field commander
which in my opinion is the supreme barometer of leadership ability
my personal favorite is Joachim Peiper
but there's no shortage of fine German field commanders
they taught how to fight modern war while doing it
band of brothers blah blah
german paratroops were taking out impregnable fortresses in 1940
before anyone else knew what an airborne assualt was

You have to admire the pioneers, just look how they exit the aircraft!

say what you will about nazi era germany
but that will be and never be eclipsed the finest white grouping ever to exist
only the era of our nation's founding and the blood of the people who founded this country can come close
FYI
I have no german blood
I'm unbiased
I don't particularily care for the third reich's treatment of the Jews and other undiserables
but that was that time
europe was rough on itself for 2 thousand years

what did china have in 1940?
japan?
when germany was dying they were making rockets and jet aircraft and infrared devices to save them
japan?
India?
all of africa?
the russians just overwhelmed germany
Balck's history is not uncommon
I will credit the soviets with birthing the operational art of war
which involved more of applying overwelhming numbers to achieve success
the soviets of 1944 were vastly improved from 1941
the germans schooled them
the french and the soviets had better quality tanks by far and more of them
when germany scored it's greatest victories

Top Bottom