Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Talked Him into Squatting

2Shy

With everything else last night, forgot to share my news. Bear with me for a brief story.

I got interested in weights when we moved back to this area. A guy friend of mine who had been overweight and out of shape had taken up weight lifting shortly after we moved away. He'd lost his brother to cancer, mom had a stroke, kid problems, etc. Anyway, he had alot of success in getting down to a good weight and putting on muscle.

But not enough in his opinion. As I became more educated about how successful lifters train, I realized he focused too much on isolation moves, too much upper, no compound moves. He's also one of these people who read a new program (albeit not in the magazines, but online) and goes for it.

About this time I discovered Elite and started to learn even more. I asked for advice and received it (thanks, ladies!) and adjusted my training. I began to concentrate on lifting hard and heavy and utilizing compound moves. I also became very interested in the Westside methods.

So, far about half a year or more I've been talking about my gains, how fun working out is, the benefit of compound moves, etc.

And he still stuck to the hack squat sled and getting nowhere.

Last night he was just finishing up when I came into the gym. I stopped to say a quick hello and he told me that he wished I'd been there earlier because "He did real squats"! He was so proud of himself.

Asked him how he liked them, did he sit back, glutes out first, below parallel. He did all those things and really liked them. I told him that's great--squats will do more for him than any other exercise (and mentioned a few more compounds). He told me I'd inspired him!

I am so proud of him and happy for him. I know this seems sappy, but he's the one who inspired me to try weights. He always encouraged me, showed me how to do things when I didn't know, never gave me grief about wanting to lift heavier or going my own way. He was just there. A friend.

Okay, silly, I know. I hope he sticks with it I've been trying for months to get him to check this place out.

Just goes to show that regardless of your level of ability, modeling the way to success will eventually work.

Now if I can only convince this older woman I met the other day to lift ....

Great work! Now try working on my mom please. :D

Seems like men are more likely to avoid squatting than women. I've seen a lot more men bitch about how much they hate squats and avoid them than women who train. I really think there's something to this theory that women have a higher pain threshold than men.

Something else that might be going on is that men find the movement more awkward due to their more narrow hips. This is an idea that I've developed from watching my bf who has tiny hips and compains that squats are so awkward he hates them.

Send her over!

I know I'm more comfortable in a wider stance and a lot of men seem to use the conventional stance more often.

I also have a theory that so many women deadlift sumo style because of hips and lower center of gravity. No science involved. Just one of those things you wonder about. :)

anya said:

Seems like men are more likely to avoid squatting than women. I've seen a lot more men bitch about how much they hate squats and avoid them than women who train

I love the squat. It is the King of all lifts.

But how do I get my girlfriend to do them? We both worked legs yesterday, and when I got home, I asked her what her training was. She preferred to do lunges over squats, because she says she feels this works her legs and butt more. I disagree. How can I argue this point to her?

Next is getting her to lift heavier...

Get her to squat with you next time. Encourage her to lift a little more weight than she thinks she can do. I am sure she can DEFINITELY lift at least 40 pounds more than she thinks she can. It is such a good feeling to lift more than you thought you could. Once she does one good set, I bet she will be hooked. That is all it took for me...

In my gym more women lunge than squat. I have to think it has something to do with the fluffy dumbbell mindset. They see lunging as feminine and "toning" while they see squatting for "bulking."

Not saying this is so for your GF. Just an observation. Does she know another term for lunge is the single leg squat?

Maybe she's not getting to parallel and below with her squat? She won't feel the true benefit of one unless she does.

Top Bottom