Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Suggestions for shoulder exercise in 5x5?

KillahBee

The key here is that I am trying to avoid military press due to the fact that I am recovering from a rot cuff tear. I can do OHP with dumbells pretty well, but that is difficult to do with 5x5. Any thoughts?

To be honest, i'm not sure 5x5 is the way to go for injury recovery.

If you do it, start off very very light. And still do 5x5, but just start light.

Actually, the hammer strength suggestion isn't a bad idea IMO.

I would just continue to rehab and strengthen the rotators...your shoulders get hit with LOTS of movements....

But if you really want to hit them directly...I agree with the hammer machine:)

I really like the one at my gym...puts the body at an incline...I think its name is the "hammer behind the neck press"...though it really doesn't resemble a BTN BB press in any way...also this hammer machine seems pretty rotator-friendly

InTraining said:
I would just continue to rehab and strengthen the rotators...your shoulders get hit with LOTS of movements....

But if you really want to hit them directly...I agree with the hammer machine:)

I really like the one at my gym...puts the body at an incline...I think its name is the "hammer behind the neck press"...though it really doesn't resemble a BTN BB press in any way...also this hammer machine seems pretty rotator-friendly

True. Just FYI for the previous posters - I have rehabbed for months and am now ready to go almost full throttle (being careful the whole way). The difference with the military press and DB OHP is the starting point. i do not want to reach behind me to get the bar.

KillahBee said:
True. Just FYI for the previous posters - I have rehabbed for months and am now ready to go almost full throttle (being careful the whole way). The difference with the military press and DB OHP is the starting point. i do not want to reach behind me to get the bar.

Get a spot to unrack the bar for you or...........go smith machine, this can sometimes be beneficial for concentrating on delt work (less core stabilization and balancing needed).

KillahBee said:

I see where youre coming from now!! i guess your gym isnt equipped with a seated BB station that allows you to rack the bar in front of you as well as behind!!Just becareful when you are ready for the heavy bells try to have someone hand you one and watch how you drop em when your done with your set..good luck bro!!

Top Bottom