Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strength training along with trying to improve my 40 yard dash

the.gladiator1987

Platinum
I was wondering about strength training for size/strength but at the same time training for the 40yd dash.

Basically I got till next summer to be faster, but I want to get bigger as well. My 40yard dash is probably a 4.79, 4.8 right now. I want at least a 4.6. Im fast and I know I could probably do it if i corrected my first ten yards and started working on my explosiveness. My vertical jump also sucks, 26 inches lol but I can touch rim off one leg @ 5'9"

So anyway Im doing a 5x5 right now, but ill be changing to a 1x week split soon for my cycle. After that I was thinking about doing a whole body routine with some running? How do I incorporate speed training with my size/strength training? Should I include hang cleans/power cleans/jump squats? If so, on what days? What days would I do speed drills and jumpropes, sprints, etc?

Heres what I got:

Week 1
Monday: 3x5 Squat 3x5 Bench 1x5 Deadlift 2x8 Dips

Tuesday: 20yd sprints x 10 squat jumps x 5 10 box jumps x 5 1min jump rope x 5 1min highknees x 5 1min side jumps x 5

Wednesday: 3x5 Squat 3x5 BB Military 3x5 Hang Cleans 2x8 Pullups

Thursday: 30minutes uphill running 50yd sprints x 5 100yd sprints x 5 50yd weighted sprints x 5

Friday: 3x5 Squat 3x5 Bench 1x5 Deadlift 2x8 Dips

Week 2
Monday: 3x5 Squat 3x5 BB Military 3x5 Hang Cleans 2x8 Pullups

Tuesday: 20yd sprints x 10 squat jumps x 5 10 box jumps x 5 1min jump rope x 5 1min highknees x 5 1min side jumps x 5

Wednesday: 3x5 Squat 3x5 Bench 1x5 Deadlift 2x8 Dips

Thursday: 30minutes uphill running 50yd sprints x 5 100yd sprints x 5 50yd weighted sprints x 5

Friday: 3x5 Squat 3x5 BB Military 3x5 Hang Cleans 2x8 Pullups

I was running 4.59 with no training, normal weight lifting routine. One day I met Dominique Foxworth at a combine at University of Maryland (this was before he was in the NFL), and he showed me a few tricks to running, like keeping your head down and raising it gradually, opening your hands so your fingers are straight, and relaxing your facial muscles while you sprint. I shit you not, it took 2-3 tries, but once I was able to do all of the things he was telling me properly, I ran a 4.45. That's with no additional weight lifting or training.

I was running 4.59 with no training, normal weight lifting routine. One day I met Dominique Foxworth at a combine at University of Maryland (this was before he was in the NFL), and he showed me a few tricks to running, like keeping your head down and raising it gradually, opening your hands so your fingers are straight, and relaxing your facial muscles while you sprint. I shit you not, it took 2-3 tries, but once I was able to do all of the things he was telling me properly, I ran a 4.45. That's with no additional weight lifting or training.

Damn! I bet I could run a 4.6 with all those little tips and tricks added up from start to finish.

How about my routine?

Whats worked for me in the past was focusing on more of the "explosive" exercises. Try working in some hang cleans or power cleans (or even power snatches) into your routine.

ETA I just noticed you have hang cleans in there.

i used to do alot of those high school football recruit combines. did you run electric finger pad timing or stop watch?

plyos and explosive movements...even though u're gaining muscle weight, weight will hender u overall. like jumping, speed has a ton to do with a person's anatomy/genetics. i never worked out when i was a collegiate athlete and most of the guys on my team(s) didn't either. practice practice

bump

Im about to start another 5x5 since it worked so great! But i want to incorporate some running/box jumps/jump squats/jumprope. Would this be a better routine?

Day 1: Upper
Day 2: Lower
Day 3: Running/Plyo
Day 4: Upper
Day 5: Lower
Day 6: OFF
Day 7: OFF
Repeat

Top Bottom