Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Straps....

callthedoctor

Never used these before....

Are they only used on "pulling" lifts? (seems like a dumb question)

Can you give me a link to show how to use them?

Thanks.

Are you asking what straps are used for?

Yes they are used for pulling.. Most guys who use straps use them for deadlifts and shrugg work.. some use them for PUllups.. Me I'm a powerlifter, so I don't believe in using straps to train with.. You can't use them in comps so they will become crutchs that you depend on if you're not careful..This is why I say you should avoid them..

If your grip is so weak that you need to use straps and your a competetive powerlifter.. YOU will get killed at meets. You need to spend time strengthening your forearms.. Do Pinch Blocks..wrist curls .. MORE deadlifts .. and maybe get one of those super grippers..

Thanks for the reply...you pretty much answered my questions thanks...

I don't compete and don't really plan on it. I just started moving away from the popular club exercises to more powerlifting stuff....DL's and rack squats.

(i.e. I just started doing DL's and my left hand nearly let go the bar at 315lb.....also, I just moved from smith-machine squats to the rack...a few people at my place do rack squats but NOBODY does deadlifts...)

Have been checking out the web and am becoming more interested in PL but unfortunately I live in small AZ. town and I don't think there is much PL here...so not many mentors or meets or REAL gyms for that matter....I'm working alot of my form and hope mainly to get some more size and strength...but doubt I'll ever compete...(maybe some year, no immediate plans).

I was interested in the wrist straps and they seem like they might lend more support thus heavier weights and training (albeit at the risk of injury)....I value your opinion about wrist strength and it does make sense....

Thanks.

Still looking for a link or clear explanation on how to use/wrap the wrist straps though...

Should I try the training forum rather than the PL forum? Most harcore PL'ers probably don't use them....

dont use them or you will keep an imbalanced physique with weak forearms.
there are people deadlifting 900 lbs without straps, why should you start using them at 315 lb?

If you choose to use wraps try this method. Set the strap up so that the hole in the strap is by the thumb. The other end will be by your pinky. Run the straight end through the strap so that it comes out on the radial side of your arm. Then grb the bar and keep the strap away from the hand, wrap the strap around the bar 2 - 3 timeskeeping it so tight that the hand is forced next to the bar. Grab the remainder of the starp and lift. Real easy. But before you go to just strap work, you should work on your grip. I suggest using straps for only half of your heavy lifts, that way you can build grip strength. At the end of your workout you should try body hangs, plate grips and wrist curls. IMO

What AZ town dude- I know some PL'ers around the state....

Top Bottom