Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

steroids found in city's tapwater along with other drugs (estrogen)

I do know that this problem with tap water containing pharmaceuticals, estrogens, and phytoestrogens has been known for more than a decade, but the research really didn't get underway until a decade ago. These things are touch and go and they never really know until they experiment to see what could be there in your water. It was about 20 years ago or less that Milwaukee experienced their first real test in water emergency when cryptosporidium was introduced in large quantities to the water supply. They disinfected for normal bacteria, but crypto and giardia cysts are a different story...you can hit it with chlorine, ammonia, chloramines, potassium permangenate, and sodium hypochlorite all you can and even UV radiation at key points of water treatment, but none of it will efficiently remove the cysts. I know the people who treat my water and some of them are good and some of them are brain dead. I'd rather drink a bottle of Dasani any day than to drink water that I might have to chew.

I don't know how many people here know anything about the safe drinking water act and what it takes to bring quality water to your tap, but I do. I have worked nearly 20 years in the medical and environmental fields. To remove every single contaminant from drinking water you may as well fill your bathtubs with Perrier for your baths for the monetary equivalent. Enhanced treatment for water is one thing, but enhanced filtration is another when it comes to removing some of these chemicals....ie. membrane filtration which relies upon thousands to hundreds of thousands membrane filters that can tear very easily and need to be replaced on a daily basis for some. Water hydraulics are another thing which might mean that water plants would need to be completely rebuilt or redesigned.

As far as most pharma's in the water, they are very low. The only one I'd have concerns with as being bad would be the estrogens, because there aren't only the pharmaceutical estrogens, but phytoestrogens compounding everything else. In the end though, you can bathe in it, cook with it, but I'm not sure I'd be drinking much of it just yet until they get new dayshift employees at my local plant.

georgie24 said:
government way to control?

no

I think it has everything to do with business abusing the environment unintentionally and in some case intentionally from the industrial revolution till now

thing just eventually seep into us

Top Bottom