Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats: Full (Ass to Floor) vs. Parallel

furious

I'm 6'1 180 lbs, all leg it seems. I can parallel squat 315x4. Full squats make my knees hurt, but have read of the added benefits (better leg development, strength development through a larger range of motion) and have started to use full squats as a warmup for paras.
Which squat do you prefer, and why?
Doesn't the leg press machine perform exactly the same function with less strain on the lower back?

Don't pull downs perform the same function as pull-ups? Enough said.

Going below parallel gives you more development, true strength.... I go below parallel but I'm only 5'7.

-Zulu

Ever since I started going rock bottom a few years back my leg development has improved dramatically, if you physically can go all the way, definitely do it.

Agreed. I'm not lifting as much to get below parallel, but the legs have increased in size and strength.

Initially my weights dropped too, but this morning I hit a personal best of 395lbs for three sets of 5 reps ass right to the floor, no belt or anything, and it went up easy as hell, so the drop in weight isn't forever

Don't go below parallel, its just to dangerous for your knees. My workout partner and i used to go rock bottom but after increasing the weight, he blew both his knees out and we were only squating 300lbs. Going to parallel we never had any injuries and were squating 425 lbs and thats all that is required in power lifting. Dude, have you ever seen knees get blown out, its a very ugly slight and takes a long time to recover.

a0169969 said:
Don't go below parallel, its just to dangerous for your knees. My workout partner and i used to go rock bottom but after increasing the weight, he blew both his knees out and we were only squating 300lbs. Going to parallel we never had any injuries and were squating 425 lbs and thats all that is required in power lifting. Dude, have you ever seen knees get blown out, its a very ugly slight and takes a long time to recover.
All I can say is read this article. If you do full squats properly there is no reason you should injur yourself, you should actually be strengthening your knees. That is, if done properly...

I disagree that rock bottom squats will damage the knees, I think it's all about proper techinique and thorough warm ups.
I used to have bad knees from a football injury when I was younger. Since I started squating to the bottom and increasing my warmups my knee pain has completely disappeared. I also have a very small frame but have been able to squat just under 500lbs(497) for a rock bottom single.
This is what my warm up looked like yesterday for squats:
5 minutes on the treadmill
the bar for 10 reps
135 for 8 reps
225 for 5 reps
275 for 3 reps
315 for 2 reps
365 for 2 reps
405 for 1 rep
395 for 3 easy sets of 5 reps, ass to the floor.
The warmup takes a little while but I feel it's the key to going heavy safely in this form

I've always wondered about which way to do squats. I am going to go ass-to-the-ground next leg workout. I have always been scared to do it that way because of my knees but if the squat is performed correctly it is true that injury is unlikely.

Bunny

Top Bottom