Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squating?

evander1972

Ok Bro's Ive just gave squating a rest for 3 months because I was getting sore knees. I was able to handle it on cycle but as soon as I came off it just wasnt happening. I have just recently started squating again and I have a little disscomfort. Now Im not lifting the same as I was before but it wont be long until I am. Im thinking that the same thing is just going to happen again. The pain I get is on the front of both knees but can be either one, Not necessarily both at the same time. I know if I just keep increasing the weight itll aggrivate them again. What are my options here, Should I just stick at my pressent weight and not go higher or should I drop the weight and do more reps. Say up them to sets of 15 or 20? Or would more reps be a bad idea. Im not sure what to do and dont want to have to quit squating for another 3 months because I made the wrong decision. Cheers

check your form. see if you can get someone to watch you squat or make careful notes how your legs move, how your torso is throughout the movement, etc. i'd bet the problem lies in your form.

Right ok Bro Ill do that, Ill stick at my present weight then and try to improve my form and see if that helps. I dont think its too bad but one thing I think might not be helping is that in the gym I go to there isnt a proper squat rack and I have to use the smith machine. What are your thought on this. When Im squating I keep my feet pointing directly forward and about shoulder width apart, Should I turn them out.

Post a video of your form. More than likely that is the culprit.

I will say that my knees used to hurt a little when I squatted.. when I opened up my stance and improved my form, my knees stopped feeling any pain at all.

Drop the smith machine bro. Find a new gym if you have to.

Cuthbert said:
Drop the smith machine bro. Find a new gym if you have to.

exactly. I will bet its a combunation of your form and the Smith Machine that is causing you discomfort. Also, do you have knee pain related to any other movement or exercise?

Like Cuthbert said, open up your stance.

Cuthbert said:
Drop the smith machine bro. Find a new gym if you have to.[/QUOTE

Bingo!!!! the smith machine is totally unnatural and helps foster bad form for free weight squats (which are the only ones that count btw)..i realize some gyms are not the best equipped but they dont even have any type of power rack????

Yeh thought the smith machine might have something to do with it, Ill try widening my stance a little. Its not realy an option finding a new gym at the moment so Ill have to stick where I am at least for 6 months anyway, I would ask them to get a propper squat rack but Im one of the few who does squats. You would think most of the people that go to this gym dont have legs. I dont have any knee pain from any other excercise apart from when Im cutting and Im doing a lot of cardio. Ill do 5 x 45 minute sesions a week and after about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks I take a break for a few days because my knees are starting to get sore. One thing I have noticed about the smith machine in my gym is that it sits at an angle, So when Im squating the farther down you go the more the weight goes behind you. Should I try turning round the other way so as I go down the weights moving further towards my upper back. Oh yeh one last thing, Ive been neglecting deadlifting for a while. If I were to ditch the squating on the smith and concentrate on the deadlifting would this be ok for legs?

So I could replace squating for the time being until I can change gyms with a combo of wide and narrow stance deadlifting.

Top Bottom