Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

speed days

T

t3c

what are you guys doing on speed days percentage-wise?

Do you rotate percentages each week? How do you progress\know you are progressing?

i did a competition bench of 304 last night. and i've been using 135 with no bands for speed weight. i dont know what % that works out to, im too lazy to check

i know i'm progressing when my times are faster

i did a competition bench of 304 last night. and i've been using 135 with no bands for speed weight. i dont know what % that works out to, im too lazy to check

i know i'm progressing when my times are faster. however, i've only been doing westside for a couple weeks so i havent changed my %'s, nor do i know if/when i'm supposed to

I stay at about 55% raw test max for speed days. Speed is the most important on these days... if you can move 45% a bit faster than 55%, then by all means go with 45%. Find a weight that works for you, and then stick with it through a training period. So for example, I am using 115 lbs free weight, plus 65 lbs band tension, for a total of 180 lbs, and I will stick with that weight for speed day until my next max. On days when I'm not using bands, I'll just use 185 straight weight.

Whenver you do a test max, or competition max, you can re-adjust the percentages for your new max, but like I said, speed is most important, so if you get a 10 lb PR on bench, technically your speed day would go up 5 lbs by percentages -- but you could do just as well to leave your speed weight the same and just move it faster. Hope that helps.

One more thing.... I personally think if you're using band tension over 30% of the weight on the bar -- that you can go as high as 60% 1RM on speed day because the bands will significantly increase your speed. But any lower band percent, or if you're doing straight weight, I'd stay closer to 50%.

Top Bottom