Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Speed Bench

1. lots of people do it very fast on the eccentric and concentric. thats fine as long as you can stay tight, keep you form, and it doenst kill your joints. i cant do it that way, becuase of the said reasons. i use a controlled eccentric and on the concentric i push as hard and fast as i can. even if im using 185 lbs i push like im using 500 lbs.

2. in general my speed weights range from 40-60% of a RAW 1rm. currently i use about 45% with additional bands or chains, and around 50-55% with straight weight. start with 50% and adjust based on your speed, and how your max effort lifts are going. thats my rule of thumb, if my max effort lifts are going up then im using enough weight for speed bench, if they go down though, im using too much weight.

Liftbig said:
1. lots of people do it very fast on the eccentric and concentric. thats fine as long as you can stay tight, keep you form, and it doenst kill your joints. i cant do it that way, becuase of the said reasons. i use a controlled eccentric and on the concentric i push as hard and fast as i can. even if im using 185 lbs i push like im using 500 lbs.

2. in general my speed weights range from 40-60% of a RAW 1rm. currently i use about 45% with additional bands or chains, and around 50-55% with straight weight. start with 50% and adjust based on your speed, and how your max effort lifts are going. thats my rule of thumb, if my max effort lifts are going up then im using enough weight for speed bench, if they go down though, im using too much weight.

good info

Grandk said:
I am looking to incorporate a speed bench day into my routine to mix things up. I plan on doing my warm up and then doing 3 reps of 8 sets. I have a few questions.

1. Should I go down at a normal pace and focus on exploding up or should the entire set be done at a faster pace?

You should do 10x3(with each set being done in 3 seconds)
Focus on exploding upwards

2. Is there an equation to estimate how much weight one should do? 80%? Higher or lower?

Thanks in advance for the help.

They say about 45-50% of your 1RM.
hope this helps. tb

Grandk said:
It is settled then. I'm doin 'em! Thanks for the input.

You will be happy with the results- 12 weeks of this and I am blowing up weight I used to struggle with for 5-10 seconds... my max flies up now.... Let us know your results!

Good knowledge from Liftbig....Nice post.

Top Bottom