Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Self defense?

yes cuz i keep evidence of such stupid things on me all the time. its been tested by numerous groups of sports science ppl. and regardless of that fact. one of the first things in martial arts u are taught is any weapon u could possibly use on someone else u should expect the same in return. so say im as big a fucking pussy as u and i need a gun to back up my mouth just like u, what would u do then?

think what u want everyone is entitled to an opinion, some opinions are just dumber than others. there is no possible way you could draw a concealed weapon in time. its a proven fact within 15 feet

you dont have to 'fully' draw your weapon to get a decent shot at 15ft.

basically you get the gun clear of the holster and start pointing it towards your target and start squeezing as you fire you continue your draw and aim.

much much faster than a full draw. basically your hand is still on your hip when you fire the first shot.

with practice it is definitely accurate enough.

problem is you are rarely in a situation where someone is 10-15 ft away from you. most of the time think 5 ft tops. that is super tough... but again there are techniques and tactic for that.

bottom line you need MULTIPLE ways to defend yourself. you need to know how to puch, how to kick, how to use a gun, a knife, etc etc

the more you know the more prepared you are.

yes cuz i keep evidence of such stupid things on me all the time.

If you make a statement and declare it as a fact, it helps to have proof to back it up.

its been tested by numerous groups of sports science ppl.
Like who? And Steven Seagal doesn't count.

and regardless of that fact. one of the first things in martial arts u are taught is any weapon u could possibly use on someone else u should expect the same in return.
I'd wager that most people realize that regardless of martial arts experience.

so say im as big a fucking pussy as u
In your dreams, pal!

and i need a gun to back up my mouth just like u, what would u do then?
Hope I draw faster. And really, I don't need a gun to back up my mouth, as I don't go out acting like a meathead picking fights with people. Never have, never will. The whole point of this thread was determining what the best method of self defense is, and I simply gave my opinion based on my own perception of reality, as opposed to some nonsense about martial arts "experts" being able to kick an armed man's ass from 15 feet away.

i dont care if u or anyone else believes anything i say, ive read about it, ive seen some stupid show on discovery channel (not mythbusters either) prove it to be true. some sports science show not steven segal. i think alot of young guys dont realize that what they have can also be used against them. ive seen first hand how ppls balls grow when they buy a gun or brass knuckles or any sort of weapon, you think it would be common sense but it seems most ppl lack that, especially mixed with a little booze. no its not my dream to be as big a pussy as you. and in my opinion anyone who needs a knife or gun to back them up is a pussy. yeh maybe when i was younger ive acted like an asshole and started pointless fights. thats why i stopped drinkin and only fight in comps. i would rather get my ass kicked than risk my life, someone elses life, or risk going to jail. noone needs to walk around with a gun or knife. i dont see why "experts" is in quotations since i am sure the people in the studies were probably experts since most untrained ppl could hardly win a fight, on top of disarming a weapon. and your opinion on weapons, be it right or wrong is just awesome in a martial arts forum when someone is specifically asking about martial arts

i dont care if u or anyone else believes anything i say, ive read about it, ive seen some stupid show on discovery channel (not mythbusters either) prove it to be true.

Well if a stupid show said so, then it must be true.

some sports science show not steven segal. i think alot of young guys dont realize that what they have can also be used against them. ive seen first hand how ppls balls grow when they buy a gun or brass knuckles or any sort of weapon, you think it would be common sense but it seems most ppl lack that, especially mixed with a little booze. no its not my dream to be as big a pussy as you. and in my opinion anyone who needs a knife or gun to back them up is a pussy.
Does that include people who keep weapons in their house for home defense?

yeh maybe when i was younger ive acted like an asshole and started pointless fights. thats why i stopped drinkin and only fight in comps. i would rather get my ass kicked than risk my life, someone elses life, or risk going to jail. noone needs to walk around with a gun or knife. i dont see why "experts" is in quotations since i am sure the people in the studies were probably experts since most untrained ppl could hardly win a fight, on top of disarming a weapon. and your opinion on weapons, be it right or wrong is just awesome in a martial arts forum when someone is specifically asking about martial arts
Thanks.

you know what dude, im just gona apologize for getting irrate and defensive. everyone has there own opinion. ive shared mine on weapons. i have had 1 really close friend, 1 normal friend and one guy i didnt like get stabbed numerous times by some little fucks for a gang initiation so i get a little short tempered. on a much smaller note a chick stuck a fork in my shoulder for beating up her bf after i shot there tent with a potato gun. and workin in a bar in my late teens ive seen many drunk tough guy wannabes try and stab ppl with broken beer bottles and anything they can get there hands on. i do understand that anything can be proven true or false. i have indeed read and seen a few items that apparently prove within 15 feet a trained martial artist can get to u before u can draw. but im sure on the other hand a well trained gunman could draw faster than someone could get to them. up here in canada every person on the block doesnt own a weapon. i dont even think a single person i know does have one. i am guessing ur american where guns are the norm. and if thats ur way, thats ur way. so ill just apologize for being childish, leave it at everyone has there own opinion and that is that. yes a bullet/blade is mightier than the fist if the range is there to withdraw and fire, otherwise ur leaving urself wide open for an attack by reachin to whereevr your weapon is. u want the perfect defense. learn muay thai/ krav maga or whatever and carry a weapon. take aikido and learn how to use that weapon even more efficiently

you know what dude, im just gona apologize for getting irrate and defensive. everyone has there own opinion. ive shared mine on weapons. i have had 1 really close friend, 1 normal friend and one guy i didnt like get stabbed numerous times by some little fucks for a gang initiation so i get a little short tempered. on a much smaller note a chick stuck a fork in my shoulder for beating up her bf after i shot there tent with a potato gun. and workin in a bar in my late teens ive seen many drunk tough guy wannabes try and stab ppl with broken beer bottles and anything they can get there hands on. i do understand that anything can be proven true or false. i have indeed read and seen a few items that apparently prove within 15 feet a trained martial artist can get to u before u can draw. but im sure on the other hand a well trained gunman could draw faster than someone could get to them. up here in canada every person on the block doesnt own a weapon. i dont even think a single person i know does have one. i am guessing ur american where guns are the norm. and if thats ur way, thats ur way. so ill just apologize for being childish, leave it at everyone has there own opinion and that is that. yes a bullet/blade is mightier than the fist if the range is there to withdraw and fire, otherwise ur leaving urself wide open for an attack by reachin to whereevr your weapon is. u want the perfect defense. learn muay thai/ krav maga or whatever and carry a weapon. take aikido and learn how to use that weapon even more efficiently

Fair enough. And I'll apologize for taking part in a retarded flame war. Thing is, I get irritated when people talk, in my opinion, unrealistically about self defense. I'm not anti martial arts. I've even trained them at different points in my life. I enjoyed them, and they definitely have their place. But any credible martial artist will tell you that there's really no way to defend against multiple attackers. I'm sorry to hear about your friends being stabbed, but in my opinion, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, that's all the more reason to arm yourself.

yeh i understand, i just looked at the question from a straight on martial arts perspective. or at least that was my interpretation of the question asked. depending on where u r in the world makes a large difference too. im from a small mountain town in canada population 10,000 if that, where other than the weekend bar fight where the 2 combatants will be drinking together again the very next week there is nothing for violence. in the last 25 years as far as i can remember this is the only thing ever like that to happen. and since hunting is illegal in this area due to all the provincial/federal parks noone really owns a gun, at least of those that i know anyways. now in the cities to the east its always in the papers of stabbings and shootouts. and im sure if your american in the much larger cities its even worse than there. africa u probably have a gun as soon as you could walk

Just for fun I guess I will state my perspective on this issue. In Krav we train weapon defenses such as guns, knives, sticks and other expedient weapons that may be used on you in a terrorist/hostage situation or bar fight or getting mugged at your car, home etc. From my experiences with the defenses and working as the attacker and trying to make the defense fail I will say that it is entirely possible that you could get shot, especially at 15 ft. that being said it is also very easy to defend a gun, much easier than a knife. It does take some practice and there are small details that you have to be aware of to make a defense be solid. In all fairness though if someone wants to kill you they will its as easy as walk up and pull the trigger. there is no defense for that. Normally a person who is waving a gun in your face primarily wants something you have or wants you to go somewhere and that weapon is thier power. In that situation a moderately trained martial artist can disarm that individual pretty easily.

We practice with shock knive and other training tools to show mistakes and allows people to see the line of fire and it has been tested for gun disarms at 20 ft. I have even practiced with airsoft weapons etc and disarming is not an incredibly difficult thing. This is situational as are all fights, you can argue both sides, there have been many times in training where I lost the battle and had it been real life I would be dead or seriously injured. I think the point is to protect yourself from thugs and criminals who are obvioulsy not training or even prepared for your defenses.

My problem with Firearms is this: I don't want to rely on a deadly weapon to solve my situations and I have to wonder about pulling a weapon on somebody who gets in my face about a parking space or for the 50 bux thats in my wallet. I am never going to be the aggressor in a situation like that and I am not sure if it is worth killing someone over it and dealing witht the courts.
I feel fine knowing that in "most" situations I can handle what comes along and still come out on top.

I found one study about the 21 foot rule if somebody really wants to look into and actually study done on disarming attackers and the time it takes to do it.

The 21-foot rule (often called the Tueller Drill) was a test originally performed by Sgt.Dennis Tueller of the Salt Lake City, Utah police department that showed someone with a knife charging at an officer with a gun could cover an amazing 21 feet in the same time an experienced officer could pull his gun and fire 2 quick rounds. A sobering thought for those who think having a gun solves everything.

Last edited:
I was in Thailand not long ago & watched a fair few muay thai events.

I could definitely see the benefits of training muay thai, stand up & in-close, vicious elbows & knees from the clinch ect..

But on the ground that's a different story.

Top Bottom