Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

reps question

MR Pink

rep question

What kind of weighttraining is better for a woman who would like to lose some weight the 12 rep area or the 20 rep area?

what kind of effect does 20 reps have on your muscle? We all know that generally speaking the 6-12 rep area is for hypertrofy but what will 20 reps do?

Last edited:
If she gains some muscle she will be happier with her body in all probability. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less room for the weight and gives a "tighter" appearance. Muscle also helps burn calories, even while resting, unlike fat.

So how to build muscle? Super-light weights at 20 reps or heavier weights at 8-10 reps? I think you know the answer ;) This question gets asked all the time on the women's board, btw. You might want to look around a bit over there.

I do look around over there ...maybe not enough :) but what kind of effect does 20 reps have on your body/muscle?

I would think 20 reps would be more on the side of muscular endurance. Though, breathing squats go up to 20 reps, but with a weight you can only do for 10-15 reps. I think if a heavy enough load is used, and there is progression, growth can still occur. Why you would want to do that though, I don't know.

Tom Treutlein said:
I would think 20 reps would be more on the side of muscular endurance. Though, breathing squats go up to 20 reps, but with a weight you can only do for 10-15 reps. I think if a heavy enough load is used, and there is progression, growth can still occur. Why you would want to do that though, I don't know.

Ive never understood this idea. If you can only do 10-15 reps truly, then you CANNOT do 20 reps. But I guess some people quit sets early when they have MUCH more left. Cant say I have this problem. I always try to grind out my sets to the end.

I think 20 reps with HEAVY weights will build much more then just muscle endurance. But for a female, who is starting out lifting and isnt at the level to move a heavy weight for reps, even a relatively heavy weight, 20 reps would probabally add to muscle endurance, but I think it can definately add small amounts of size as well. Id reccomend the 12-15 rep range more so, with a little cardio thrown in 5X a week and a clean diet. Hope that helps

You do 10-15 reps and force out 20 by stopping at the top of the movement and breathing until you can force out more reps. Almost like rest-pausing DC style, just without racking the weight. Although, if you're in a power rack it'd probably be wiser to just drop it, then pick it up again when you're ready.

Top Bottom