Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rep

herkul

Which is the best reps for strenght bench?
(chuck)One, two ,three or more reps tell me.
thanks.

I have had best results in the 1-5 range... most days I stay 1-3 range...

i do 2 sets of 6 reps then bring the weight down and do one set of 8.
ed coan wrote the routine... can't be too wrong.

w8lifterchick said:
i do 2 sets of 6 reps then bring the weight down and do one set of 8.
ed coan wrote the routine... can't be too wrong.

all in the same workout?

Becoming said:
all in the same workout?

yup. here's a copy/paste of my last workout. i've left in the extraneous stuff for your amusement:

ok... moving on up in weights.
i decided to bench in the afternoon since there are so few people there in the morning now.
Except, at 4pm, there was still hardly anyone to ask for a spot- a guy with HUUUUUUUGE belly(with one pant leg up like he's "big E smalls" or some other big fat rapper) who was struggling to bench 125 next to me, a couple of kids, and some ENORMOUS guy who only seems to grunt and looks like he should absolutely play the phychotic villian in a stephen king novel. He's got no neck, black as night with RED eyes and a back as wide as kansas.
so i asked him to spot me. He grunted a yes and i said if he touches the bar before i say 'help', i'm gonna smack him around. You coulda heard a pin drop when i said it, but the guy laughed (like he was gonna take me seriously) so loud. i figured, i'd prefer that he thinks i'm stupid but funny rather than someone he'd like to chop into tiny pieces.

ok, anyway.
Bench:
145 x 5
145 x 5
125 x 8
yay! shoulda been sets of 6 instead of 5 but i was ok with that.

lat pulldowns:
120 x 10 x 3

low rows:
90 x 10 x 3

hs shoulder press:
whatever mr huge belly had on there, i think 35s

done.
my new little friend Hose A came in so i spotted him and then left.

hmmm... i do more an MM routine now... (nothing higher than 3 reps)

I used to do sets of 5,4,3,2 and move up every week... that many reps kills my joints...

Becoming said:
hmmm... i do more an MM routine now... (nothing higher than 3 reps)

I used to do sets of 5,4,3,2 and move up every week... that many reps kills my joints...

keep in mind, when i'm doing 8 reps, its with lighter weight, but the emphasis is on declines, not flat bench, and apparently your flat bench will go up.
i only know that its worked for a bunch of big benchers i know, and my own bench has gone up so i'm gonna try it for a few more weeks.
a year ago, my max was 145- now i'm doing 2 sets of 5 with that so i'm happy.
if you want, i'll post my instructions for the routine here so you can see. i've been busy lately and haven't been around.

i use 5's til they get tough, then 3's then the occasional 1-2 for a couple sets. i prefer to hit many in the 3 range.

Top Bottom