Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

reasons for dizziness and nausea during exercise

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Question: Every time I go to an exercise class that is offered at my gym I seem to get really sick. At first I will warm up and feel fine, with a light to moderate aerobic workout. Then all of a sudden I will get extremely dizzy and feel sick to my stomach. At that point, I usually will stop exercising until the feeling subsides. I just want to know what causes this type of feeling and how it can be avoided.

Answer: There are many reasons for dizziness and nausea during exercise. Heart problems, interactions with medications, a virus, or any other number of factors could cause it. If the following reasons don’t apply, then you need to contact your doctor.
Here are some possibilities:
1. It’s possible that your blood pressure may be dropping during the workout, particularly if you rapidly change posture from lying or sitting to standing, or if you do a heavy squat, or you do a heavy leg press and then stand up. Also, if you do a vigorous aerobic workout like bike, treadmill, or elliptical trainer, and then don’t cool down enough before getting right to the weight training, that can cause dizziness.
Advertisement

Any time blood shunts to your legs during heavy exertion, and then you rapidly change posture, you risk the blood pooling in your legs, and without it circulating back to the brain, you get dizzy. This can happen in conditioned as well as deconditioned individuals. Standing still in the shower after a workout can also cause it for the same blood pooling reason.
One of the risks of blood pooling in your legs is passing out. Of course, this would be particularly bad in the shower on a tile floor.
If this is the problem, it will probably get better as you get more fit, but for now you should walk around and cool down until your heart rate returns to within 20-30 beats of resting and your legs feel strong. You should also change posture slowly (for example, get up from the floor or a bench slowly). And make sure you walk around and are totally cooled down before showering. If you feel dizzy in the gym and walking around doesn’t solve it, then you need to sit down or lie down.
2. The problem could be from lack of food. For instance, if you work out in the morning, without having breakfast, and it’s been 10-12 hours without a meal, then you can easily get dizzy from lack of fuel. You need, at least, to eat a snack if it’s been several hours since you’ve eaten before a workout. Half a bagel, a banana, oatmeal, or toast 30-45 minutes before the workout should help. You’ll have to see what works best.

3. If you have been sedentary for years and then get started quickly, you may need to take it a bit slower until your body gets used to it. Fitness will happen, but people need to pace themselves. Vigorous exercise in deconditioned people often leads to dizziness or nausea. Overtraining and lack of warm up can also cause it.
Again, if none of the above help, or the problem continues, then you need to contact your doctor.

(From msnbc)

In my experience, it's usually due to low blood pressure or low blood sugar. It often happens in pre-contest scenarios where calories are restricted and the competitor mis-accurately thinks that eliminating salt is essential to burn body fat.

Salt is your friend. It is essential for muscle contractions. If eaten in excess, it can make you retain some water, yes, but water is NOT fat. The only time salt should be eliminated is the final day or two before a competition.

Especially for someone eating non-processed 'clean' bodybuilding style foods, there is no salt added. Salt is only an issue if you are eating the typical north american diet of fast food everything.

Yeah, it is because of the low blood pressure but to keep a stable and good blood pressure you've got to eat.

Top Bottom