Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pulled muscle in my neck

Sherk

My gym got this machine to do shrugs with so I figured I'd see what it's about. Bad idea. I shrugged twice and stoped because it just didn't feel right. Theres no hand adjustments for us shorter guys, so your hands are at your side but out from your body so your arms are at an angle. Everything about it is stationary except the up down movement. If you're over 6' it might be more comfortable for you. needless to say that after I set it down my left trap and left side of my neck felt tight, so I didn't do a different routine for my traps. I didn't want to cause a serious injury. Well guess what... I woke up this morning and can't turn my head to the left and it's sore to turn it right. Just my luck. I usually stay away from machines because they just aren't as comfortable for me. I do use pulleys though. Looks like no gym time for me for a few days.

What's good for a pulled muscle? Ice or heat? I've never pulled one before. I've grappled my whole life, wrestled in high school, lifted all through high school and I'm 29 now so I guess I've been lucky.

I pull my neck/trap tie in every couple months or so it seems. Sometime just from the way I sleep. In fact I did it 2 weeks ago just running up the stairs. Ahh the joys of getting old:)

very common injury. and not serious at all. just give it time to heal, put ice/heat alernation to calm down the muscle.. get some massage therapy/acupuncture done. you will be all better in no time.

i get neck/trap spasms myself here and there

Right on thanx guys. It feels 30% better today but still sore. I'm taking the rest of the week off from the gym to nurse it. I started the ice/heat this morning. 20 min on for both once every 2 hrs or so.

regular massage (deep tissue) should be a priority for someone who trains heavy. Chiropractic tx as well.

Are you talking about the Hammer Strength machine?

22935-thumb_HAMMERSTRENGTH_Seated_StandingShrug1.jpg

You notice there's 2 sets of handles? Regardless, I wouldn't use that for shrugs. Use the barbell if you must shrug. Power shrugs would be better and deadlift would be best.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Power shrugs with a trap bar are the absolute bollocks! You won't be disappointed! :) :) :) :)
I used to get the same thing when I used to do heavy one arm rows. Now I stopped doing them I don't seem to get it. I do reverse grip barbell row instead now.

regular massage (deep tissue) should be a priority for someone who trains heavy. Chiropractic tx as well.

Are you talking about the Hammer Strength machine?

22935-thumb_HAMMERSTRENGTH_Seated_StandingShrug1.jpg

You notice there's 2 sets of handles? Regardless, I wouldn't use that for shrugs. Use the barbell if you must shrug. Power shrugs would be better and deadlift would be best.

Yep that's the one minus the seat and back rest. I usually use a barbell and sometimes dumbbells. I've never heard of a trap bar. I'll have to look into that I'm curious about it

Top Bottom