Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powerlifting vs. bodybuilding

1manwithavan1

I was an athlete all my life, but I can not dedicate myself to so much training, so I would like to focus on just lifting weights. I see that there are two basic ways to go - powerlifting, and bodybuilding. Which one do you think is the most functional and healthy?

I would start off with 5X5 and build a base that way then decide where you want to go from there.

the top bodybuilders started out lifting heavier with compound lifts. they didn't stand in front of the mirror doing 25 pound curls like i see a lot of beta's doing at the gym

In my opinion, bodybuilding is much healthier. The extreme weights used in powerlifting will eventually lead to an injury. No matter how careful you are, how much you warm up etc, when you are using close to your 1 rep max, injuries are going to happen. Just something as small as a slight 5% change in your foot position in your squat can throw your dimensions off when performing the lift and throw your lower back out of place.

I would stick with bodybuilding where you use the weights to stimulate the muscle. Heavy weights are still important in bodybuilding but HOW you lift the weight is much more important then how much weight you actually lift. Bodybuilding is all about being in control of the movements and getting a great mind and muscle connection. Injuries are very uncommon in bodybuilding and most pro bodybuilders are in their late 30s or early 40s.

I post my daily workouts in this thread here if you are curious to see what a bodybuilding training template looks like: https://www.elitefitness.com/forum/anabolic-steroids/muskate-s-daily-workouts-log-1486295.html

I think it comes down to what you enjoy. You can always vary your workouts and combine some bodybuilding and some powerlifting sessions. If you are looking for a specific program to follow I know Layne Norton has one that combines the 2 styles.

I agree with @masonic - it is all about what you enjoy. What is the point in doing something only because it is supposedly healthier or better, when you don't like it? Better do something what brings joy to you, and in this case it will definitely be the healthiest option for you.

Top Bottom