Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powerlifterjay,Zombie,any pro

S

solidj55

How much of an arch do you guys use when benching. I know the rule is that your shoulder blades must touch the bench, your ass much touch the bench, and your feet must stay on the floor and as long as those things are in tact you can have as much of an arch as the body allows. I am just curious as to how much of an arch you guys use. I dont use a real big arch as it gets to uncomfortable. Also how wide can your grip legally be on the bar. I wrap my index or first finger around the power ring on the bar. Do you guys think that that is to wide of a grip? I mean, its working well so far just curious as to the rules. Anyway, thanks guys for all your help.

Well i dont use much of an arch meaning i dont set up for one. But on tapes i do arch but it slight. I am pretty much a flat bencher. I bench with middle finger on the power ring. If i am not mistaken the legal limit is 81cm, which is outside the powe ring with your whole hand. I do generate a hell of alot with my legs on the bench though. But sounds like you got the rest of the rules down pat.

The rule on width for most federations is that the rings must be covered with some part of your hand. When I compete I put my index finger on the rings and slide my hands out a little so the skin still covers the rings. ( train with my pinky fingers inside the rings usually)

As far as an arch is concerned, mine is only fair. I concentrate more on pulling my shoulder blades together and lying on them than I do sticking my stomach up in the air. We have a mini basketball that is 1/3 flat that we lie on to get are arch higher when we train. Arching is tough for me, I'm not naturally flexible.
I've seen guys that can practically set a 12 ounce beer can under their back when they arch. Basically, the higher your arch the more you push down instead of out, and the bar travels a shorter distance. (similar to a decline bench) Alot of benchers you see at contest are all arch and shirt (George Nelson for example) By the time the arch and stick out their gut the bar travels every bit of about 4 inches. It's like doing a lockout.
On the other hand their are guys like Chebot who go out their with very little arch, a close grip, and blow up 700+lbs. To me that is alot more impressive, but the rules are what they are, so if ya can, use them to your advantage. If your arching throws you off, don't worry too much about it.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom