Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pain in the Palms while Dumbell Pressing

Longhorn85

I really like flat and incline dumbell presses, I've gotten pretty good at manipulating the weight so that I can get up to 90-100 lbs for reps on the flat. Problem is, when the weight gets heavy, I feel a sharp pain in my left palm while pressing.

It feels like a nerve or something, and is less prevalent when I get a real tight grip before lifting. It often causes me to stop my set when I could have done two or more reps.

Anyone else experience this? Know any remedies? Thanks.

Yep, I get this sometimes with the barbell. First of all I assume you are using gloves? This helps.... Second of all try to change the grip. if your usually hold with your thumb around the bar change the grip so the thumb is alligned with the rest of your fingers. This really helped me.

I get it all the time but its strange. I never it get it from the dumbells or barbells. Only times it hurts are on machines such as the shoulder press or the chese press. At times it can become to unbearable I'll quit outright for 5 minutes then resume.

No allon, I don't use gloves. It only affects my left hand, and like I said, an extremely firm grip before I start lifting helps.

Longhorn85 said:
and like I said, an extremely firm grip before I start lifting helps.

That is what helps me the most when my hand/wrist hurts while pressing. I notice that if I don't concentrate, I will have a loose grip when I start to press, causing a pain in my left hand.

I get the same thing also. Im not sure exactly how to avoid it. Its only given me alot of trouble, on one occasion. My hand was locking up pretty bad, and pressing was irritating it alot. Every once in a while Ill still feel it though, especially with dumbell shoulder presses.

It pisses me off, because it means 4 x 90 instead of 6 or 7 x 90 or 100. I am also worried I may lose control of the weight if I try to push through the pain.

I may have to start using gloves, which I don't like to do.

Ive had the same problem with dumbell curls and only with my ledft hand. I thought it might be from taking too strong of a grip on the DB, but perhaps not.

Sometimes taking a firm grip helps compress the area about the nerve that may be sending out pain signals. Compressing it helps because it helps put the muscle above the nerve in a contracted state which acts a buffer between the nerve and the pressure of the DB pressing into your hand.

Top Bottom