Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Optimal rest time between sets

androjunkie

On the average, how long do you rest between sets? Sometimes I rest a minute, while other times I'll wait as much as three.

I do 5x5. So between the 5x5s, I often give it 2 going on 3 depending on how I'm feeling and what set I'm on. With the 2x10 I give it about a minute.

i wait til im ready. i dont time it. i just wait until my breathing is back to relative normal. especially if its a max/heavy lift. if im just hitting a bodypart, then i dont worry about being totally fresh for the next set.

I too wait till I am ready. Only on days that I am going to fight (ju jitsu) do I train high intensity (30 sec between sets and 1 min. between exercises).

bignate73 said:
i wait til im ready. i dont time it. i just wait until my breathing is back to relative normal. especially if its a max/heavy lift. if im just hitting a bodypart, then i dont worry about being totally fresh for the next set.

It totally depends on what kind of training you are doing.

If you are doing low volume/heavy lifting in the range of 3-6 reps per set, likely your going to wait minutes between sets.

If you are doing a higher volume/lighter lifting routine, then typically I'd wait between 40seconds to a minute (no more).

Of course you can temper that with "what are you trying to achieve in the first place?"

Higher volume low weight routines do in fact have a cardio/fat burning aspect to them. While not as tailored to most of the folks on this board and thier goals, they do have some validity if done correctly. One of the "correct" aspects is the shorter rest time for these routines.

Generally, the reverse can be seen as true for the low vol/high weight routines.

Griz1 said:
It totally depends on what kind of training you are doing.

If you are doing low volume/heavy lifting in the range of 3-6 reps per set, likely your going to wait minutes between sets.

If you are doing a higher volume/lighter lifting routine, then typically I'd wait between 40seconds to a minute (no more).

Of course you can temper that with "what are you trying to achieve in the first place?"

Higher volume low weight routines do in fact have a cardio/fat burning aspect to them. While not as tailored to most of the folks on this board and thier goals, they do have some validity if done correctly. One of the "correct" aspects is the shorter rest time for these routines.

Generally, the reverse can be seen as true for the low vol/high weight routines.

yup....100% depends on your goals.................

I wait till my breathing returns to normal typically... I think I may have timed my rests maybe 1-2x in my life

Top Bottom