Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Opinions on Smolov Squat routine

NBAfan#21

Hey everyone. I wondered what's your take on the smolov squat routine. I wanna increase my squat max as fast as possible and i've heard that the smolov routine is very effective at doing so. My only concerns are if im experienced enough and if it isnt overtraining. I am 18 years old, been training for maybe 6-7 months. I have done 4 cycles of the 5x5.

I was always a natural lifter and i dont want to juice. This routine was designed for Russian Powerlifter. Do you think i can still give it a try and excpect some good results?

Here's a link to the program: http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

Hey everyone. I wondered what's your take on the smolov squat routine. I wanna increase my squat max as fast as possible and i've heard that the smolov routine is very effective at doing so. My only concerns are if im experienced enough and if it isnt overtraining. I am 18 years old, been training for maybe 6-7 months. I have done 4 cycles of the 5x5.

I was always a natural lifter and i dont want to juice. This routine was designed for Russian Powerlifter. Do you think i can still give it a try and excpect some good results?

Here's a link to the program: Smolov Squat Cycle

Give it a try, but don't expect to have much energy for other lifts. Be prepared to just focus on squats. I tried it for a little while but decided it wasn't for me yet (ie I'm not advanced enough yet). However I just finished 2 cycles on the smolov jr for bench and gained 55 poundsi n 2 months, so not bad. You can always extend the program a little and squat 3 days a week in stead of 4 if it gets too intense. What is your current squat max right now?

Give it a try, but don't expect to have much energy for other lifts. Be prepared to just focus on squats. I tried it for a little while but decided it wasn't for me yet (ie I'm not advanced enough yet). However I just finished 2 cycles on the smolov jr for bench and gained 55 poundsi n 2 months, so not bad. You can always extend the program a little and squat 3 days a week in stead of 4 if it gets too intense. What is your current squat max right now?

I will try to keep the routine as it is. If i can't keep up with the pace i will do the smolov junior for squats. My current squat max is 285lbs. It might be a bit higher though because i did 265lbs x 5 before.

I just wanna be able to do 315lbs for 5 reps as fast as possible

So is there any experienced guy out there who tried it?

Lol my squat max is 285 right now too, though I think I can do a little more now. Honestly from everything I've heard you should be squatting a minimum of 315, most people recommend 350+ before doing the smolov squat routine. Try the jr version for 3 weeks then do the full version after a short break. Better be dedicated to those squats.:)

Most who use that style of training cycle (as in tendon conditioning not drugs) would be doing so for a meet not just recreationally. Why not just do something like 5x5, 5/3/1 or 3x3 instead?

I've done the base cycle before and now I'm at the end of my 1st week at my second attempt at the base cycle, but this time I'm going for the full 13 week cycle. If your dedicated to your squats and have the mental motivation then the base cycle is definitely do-able. Ask me in about 10 weeks if the intense cycle is do-able... I recommend being able to squat at least 1.5 times your BW first though. The one good things about smolov is it forces you to develop your squatting form, if you have poor technique you will fail or injure yourself without a doubt. I recommend alot of hamstring flexibility work and hip mobility work, I tend to work on this between my warm up sets and at the end. You can't afford to have weak hamstrings or a weak back, if your back starts rounding or you get butt wink it'll manifest itself in shocking back pain! I would keep all other lifting to a minimum as the high volume of quatting is very taxing. After 10 triples at 85% +15KG you really won't feel like doing much else anyway. I also recommend not using a belt unless going for 1RM attempts. Also expect the possibility of knee pain. Is it worth it? yes! If you want big gains on your squat! I went from 185kg to a 205kg after 3 weeks, at a BW of 88.6kg. Before that I worked on 5 x 5.

I've done the base cycle before and now I'm at the end of my 1st week at my second attempt at the base cycle, but this time I'm going for the full 13 week cycle. If your dedicated to your squats and have the mental motivation then the base cycle is definitely do-able. Ask me in about 10 weeks if the intense cycle is do-able... I recommend being able to squat at least 1.5 times your BW first though. The one good things about smolov is it forces you to develop your squatting form, if you have poor technique you will fail or injure yourself without a doubt. I recommend alot of hamstring flexibility work and hip mobility work, I tend to work on this between my warm up sets and at the end. You can't afford to have weak hamstrings or a weak back, if your back starts rounding or you get butt wink it'll manifest itself in shocking back pain! I would keep all other lifting to a minimum as the high volume of quatting is very taxing. After 10 triples at 85% +15KG you really won't feel like doing much else anyway. I also recommend not using a belt unless going for 1RM attempts. Also expect the possibility of knee pain. Is it worth it? yes! If you want big gains on your squat! I went from 185kg to a 205kg after 3 weeks, at a BW of 88.6kg. Before that I worked on 5 x 5.

What a great first post!

Top Bottom