Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Off season/Winter running

jjtt

Does anyone run in the winter? Like really cold and snowy? I just want to maintain my aerobic base until I can start race training in the spring again.
I run 3 miles outdoors 3-4 times a week and a long run outdoors on Sundays (anywhere from 7-13 miles).
I don't really like the treadmill, so that's not an option.

Yes I still run in the winter. Winter training is much more fun and important as it is the foundation for your season ahead. I also coach endurance athletes and we do indoor circuits etc in the winter routine. Try skipping for aerobic base if the weather is holding you back from going outside. I personally enjoy running in the cold than the hot. I think it was Sir Chris Bonnington that said "there's no such thing as bad weather, it's just the wrong choice of clothing". Hope that helps?

Yes I still run in the winter. Winter training is much more fun and important as it is the foundation for your season ahead. I also coach endurance athletes and we do indoor circuits etc in the winter routine. Try skipping for aerobic base if the weather is holding you back from going outside. I personally enjoy running in the cold than the hot. I think it was Sir Chris Bonnington that said "there's no such thing as bad weather, it's just the wrong choice of clothing". Hope that helps?

Absolutely, thanks- I figure I am going to get some StableIcers and go to town. I just ran a half marathon (2:18) last week, and am going to run a 10 K February 19th, so I figure I am going to maintain for a couple months then start specifically training for the 10 k in December.(adding in speed work, I'll probably do that once a week indoors though).
I am a novice runner, but really enjoy it. I am aiming for a 60 minute 10 K.

I just ordered some Petzl Spiky Plus ice grips and am looking forward to getting some good winter clothing on sale, although I will probably just buy it full price if it is getting cold enough and it hasn't gone on sale yet.
Leaning toward the Saucony Vizipro line for tights and light shell, I am usually out at 5:30 a.m., and it's still dark then. Plus they just look good to me. Probably just find a cheap fleece for those extra cold days. I can't see myself going out past -20 C anyway.

Where do you live, the arctic??!!!

Pretty much...North of 45 anyway.
In winter, the pavement and road gets completely covered in slabs of ice- and my city no longer uses road salt, so it's completely iced over and really slippy from about December to March.

Top Bottom