Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to fitness!!!

esteveze

Hello there!!
This is a great site. Just been reading and got very inspired.
My name is Eunice..and I am a 28 years old with a 4 year old daughter. I have gain some weight and I am ready to start losing it. Right now I weight 147lb in a 5' 3'' medium frame.
I started doing cardio(spinning) 2 weeks ago/5 times a week. I would like to do weights too, but do no know where to start. I want to get slim and build muscles. Can you please help me with this. I also know that my diet needs to include protein (chicken, fish) some carbs and lots of vegetables.
I need help..so if you are so king in helping me I will be very happy.
Thank you!!!
Ciao.

welcome to the boards eunice!

good work in getting started... you should get in the weight room... the best way to do it would probably be to get a trainer to show you the ropes for a few weeks... If you can't afford that, just get into the gym and watch people who look like they know what they're doing... copy their movements, watch your form in the mirror... start with the basic movements (machines are okay to start, but don't be afraid of the free weights!!)

you should also get an orientation to the equipment at your gym (they usually give you one when you buy your membership) ask lots of questions and make sure they show you how to use everything properly

i suggest, when you're first starting try doing lower body work one day(legs), upper body (back, chest, arms) another day... (do each twice a week)... keep reading these boards and you'll find out lots of information that will help you tune your routine to better suit your needs... (different splits, different routines, different exercises)

be safe in the weight room, but don't be afraid to lift a weight that ways more than your purse, you probably pick up your daughter every day, so you shouldn't be afraid to pick up a 20 or even a 30lb weight, right???!!! just make sure to watch your form and ask someone if you really aren't sure if you're doing it right... most people will be glad to help you and that's what the staff at the gym are there for...

everyone has to start somewhere so just get in there and do it! adding muscle to your frame will help you shed the fat... muscle burns a lot more calories at rest than fat does... :)

as for your diet, make sure you get the good fats in there too... (olive oil, flaxseed oil etc)... if you want to post what you're eating we'll make suggestions...

good luck!

Welcome!!! Do a search on any topic you are looking for and you will find tons of info. Don't be afraid to pump some iron!! Cardio is great but nothing like lifting...it is the only thing that can really re-shape your bod! Putting on some lean mass will do wonders for your metabolism. Just be sure you dont focus to much on the spinning...lifting is where it is at:)

Thank you Phenomena.
I started doing weights last week, and started doing free weights, but a trainer told me to stick to machines.
This is the routine she gave me.
Back:
chin lift: 3sets 10reps
arm row(machine) 3sets 12reps 40lbs
Biceps:
barbell curl: 3sets 13rpes 20lbs
Triceps:
holding on a bech pulling myself up(pull ups) 3sets 13reps
Quads:
leg press: 3sets 20reps at 100lbs
leg curl: 3 sets 13 reps 60lbs.
also she told me to do abs 3 set 25reps

Do you thing that is enough..I can do that just fine...without stressing too much.

in terms of food.

9:00am Low fat yogurt
11:00am 8oz pineapple
1:00pm chicken breast sandwich with lettuce and roasted peppers
3:00pm banana
5:15pm salad with corn and tomatoes.
I try to drink about 60oz of water....

Pleaser let me know if I need to change something...

ThanX

Diet needs to change!!! You need protein w/ each and every meal! Your first 2 meals are carbs....no protein! You should try eating some eggs/whites..and some oatmeal. You need at least 1.0 grams of protein per lb. No more bananas at 3pm eat a shake or have some meat!!! Also your salad needs meat on it as well. 5-6 oz of chicken..some lean red meat, fish, tuna, turkey breasts...5-6 meals a day..all w/ protein...Too many carbs and sugars!!!! You will drop like crazy if you just make a few changes in your diet alone.

there ya go, what new said...

i'd also add some complex carbs in there...

oats in the morning, a sweet potato or red potato in the afternoon/pm...

i've posted my diet here
http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=70298

You probably won't want to eat that much food, but it has some good ideas for balanced meals...

(sorry if i'm telling you something you know, but when new@getting says shake she means a whey protein shake, you can buy whey powder at a health food store, or maybe in the pro shop if your gym has one... good investment for a quick dose of protein)

Would a diet high in protein help me losse weight?? I need to loose 25 lbs.
What about my weight lifting routine??? any advise. I am more than ready to start.
Sould I alternate M-W-F----legs; T-Th-S upper body.?? yes ??? no???

You can do several different splits when it comes to training...back and biceps, chest and triceps, legs, shoulders or chest and back, legs, arms and shoulders...I do both splits..changing them about every 4-6 weeks...3 different exercises...3 sets of 8-10 reps...go heavy!!! I would use a combination of dumbbells and the machines..I personally like dumbbells..but use machines sometimes as well. You should really hook up w/ a good trainer for a few sessions and get routine going.

workouts shouldnt take more than 45 min or so...just look into basic exercises nothing fancy. Read these boards for info and advise and you will do great..Yes a few changes in your diet and adding more protein will do wonders for you...You are not eating enough food and not enough protein..stay away from processed foods...sugar!! no breads, pastas...or junk food...complex good carbs. cut them out after 4 pm.

as for the weights, do what you feel comfortable with... when your first starting you'll probably want to do more of a 'full body' or 'upper vs lower body' routine as the one i suggested above, but as you become more experienced and learn more exercises, you'll be able to develop a split that is comfortable for you... (my split is listed in the same thread i quoted above)... it's really all about personal preference, scheduling and what your body is ready for...

i wouldn't work every day... you need time off to rest... especially when you first start...(if you do things right, you should be sore at the beginning)... try lifting 3-4 times a week and see how that works for you...

Also, don't let your trainer bully you into lifting a weight that you feel is light, lift a weight that challenges you within the 8-10 rep range... you should feel like you can barely complete the last rep (or need assistance from the trainer to complete the last rep).. tell him/her you want to add some muscle...

and yes a diet that has 'ample' protein and is balanced with clean, unprocessed carbs and healthy fats (flax seed oil, udos oil etc) should go a long way in helping you with your fat loss (you don't just want to loose 'weight', that's why you don't want a low calorie diet... that will cause you to loose muscle and fat... not a good thing, you want to optimize the fat loss)

Top Bottom