Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My training log - Starting over with SL's 5x5

wegs224

I've had two injuries this year, one was more recent, sciatica from a deadlift session. :( I kept a log here a while back and thought it'd be good to start a new one, since I'm picking up the 5x5 plan again, so I can gain strength back safely, and hopefully, without pain.

Today's workout, keeping everything pretty much under 100 lbs for the first two weeks, and make sure I don't relapse.

Thought it's weird that the plan today called for only 1 set of DL's, 5 reps. :confused: The other two exercises to have 5x5. But, I did 5x5 for the deads anyway.

Squat:

75x5
75x5
85x5
90x5
75x5

Deadlifts:

85x5
85x5
95x5
100x5
85x5

OH DB Press:
(standing)

30x5
30x5
40x5
40x5
40x5
*2 15's and then 2 20's)

*no cardio

*Didn't do any accessory work, not sure if I should or just follow the plan as is. Decisions...

Ouch, 2 injuries in the first half of this year is really rough. Glad to see that you're coming right back at it again, and with a solid plan that will help you ease back into things. You should experience some fast gains in the beginning due to muscle memory.

I love SL. That's where I gained my strength and size. I stuck to it exactly for at least a month. Then I added just a few extras. Like pull-ups and one bi/tri workout. Just take it slow and as you go up see how it feels. It would be a shame to rush into it and nag an injury.

Ouch, 2 injuries in the first half of this year is really rough. Glad to see that you're coming right back at it again, and with a solid plan that will help you ease back into things. You should experience some fast gains in the beginning due to muscle memory.

Thanks George! I had been lifting off and on working around the injuries, but losing focus, you know? So, it's nice to have a plan already set up, not much thinking involved. lol I'm looking forward to seeing how the next 90 days goes following 5x5. :)

I love SL. That's where I gained my strength and size. I stuck to it exactly for at least a month. Then I added just a few extras. Like pull-ups and one bi/tri workout. Just take it slow and as you go up see how it feels. It would be a shame to rush into it and nag an injury.

Yes, this program is great. I followed it like two summers ago, and my max squat at that time was 160. Which without the program, not sure I'd ever see it doing what I was doing on my own. Thx for your comment, saiyan. :)

Sunday = cleaning the house, grocery shopping and some meal prep for the work week. I need to get a run in, but my hamstrings are sore, forgot what it's like to do deadlifts and squats on the same day, more than once in the same week. lol

Looks like rain, I could just forget this whole plan and go to the movies with a friend. lol Happy Sunday! :)

Last edited:
Just a run today, no gym. I'm remembering back to when I ran 5x5 and it hurt my runs. Squatting 3x per week, no matter how light, hurts my runs. Think it's a hip flexor thing, but we'll see how it goes. I'd love to balance the two, because I enjoy running.

Short run earlier:
Distance: 2:54 miles
Time: 26:32 minutes

Tomorrow, back to 5x5, I haven't looked at the schedule but I'm assuming squats and deads will be in there AGAIN. :D

Day 3, SL's 5x5...

Today's scheduled called for bench, squat, and barbell row. I have to say, I don't like (hate) barbell rows. I'd rather do seated cable rows or bent over db rows, but for the sake of following the program, I'll guess I'll continue with the plan as it's laid out.

I'm happy to say that after nearly 4 months of no squats, things went well tonight. Keeping the weight just under 100 lbs still, I'm hoping by next session, I can take it up 5 lbs, as the plan calls for, and then keep building. No sciatica so far, fingers crossed. :)

Squats:
55x5
75x5
75x5
95x5
55x5

Flat bench:
55x5
65x5
75x5
75x5
55x5

Barbell rows:
55x5
55x5
55x5
60x5
55x5

Bicep curls:
*using barbell

30x5
30x5
40x5
40x5
30x5

*Then, 25 minute fast walk outside.

*Wondering if it would be 'cheating' to sub seated cable rows for barbell rows.

Day 4, SL's 5x5, deadlift, squat and OH Press ...everything went great, and I'm happy to say that this was the first night I could lift over 100 lbs for DL, in 4 months since getting struck by sciatica. Feeling good about that!

Squat:
75x5
75x5
85x5
95x5
75x5

Deadlift:
75x5
85x5
100x5
105x5
85x5

OH Shoulder Press:
*used db's
*weight showing is total weight

40x5
40x5
50x5
50x5
40x5

*Then, 20 minutes of fast walking outside. Wanted to run, but usually days I squat, my runs suck. So, tomorrow is a planned run, no gym.

I can almost envision setting some lifting goals again this year. :)

Glad to see that you're already making some progress post-sciatica and deadlifting over 100 again!

Top Bottom