Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My projects

chesty

Bodybuilding Competitor
Elite Moderator
I can't go into much detail, but one project is for a radiation detection system for the ISS. I am in charge of all of the structural testing and analysis for it and have been putting in some overtime.

The other project deals with the new docking system for the new launch vehicle to replace the shuttle and to take dudes to the moon and beyond. It is really cool. All I can say is, wow. Really cool and I am a part of it. I always wanted to be an Astronaut, but this will do. I get to work on the stuff that gets them from point A to B and back and perform their missions.

If I find anything on the NASA public site I'll post a link. Can't say anything more about it though.

What do you guys use for structural analysis? Ansys, Nastran, Integrated Pro/E stuff?

I use Patran/Nastran. Have used Ansys, but don't like its layout much. Started to use Hypermesh, not a real fan either. I do most of my stuff by hand if possible. Even do Random vibe, transient and frequency response with Nastran as a first shot.

What do you do?

I use Patran/Nastran. Have used Ansys, but don't like its layout much. Started to use Hypermesh, not a real fan either. I do most of my stuff by hand if possible. Even do Random vibe, transient and frequency response with Nastran as a first shot.

What do you do?

I dont really run structual analysis. I do mechanical design with Solidworks. Cosmos is good enough for most of my applications - its not aerospace like what you do.

You have a MS in an engineering field, right? (I can't recall what you told me in the past.) How do you feel your education and experience prepared you for working at NASA? Are you guys noticing the budget cuts or fearfull of layoffs in this economy? Do you personally feel that NASA should get more funding than it has in recent years, or do you feel that space exploration is a dead field with nothing new to learn?

:cow:

You have a MS in an engineering field, right? (I can't recall what you told me in the past.) How do you feel your education and experience prepared you for working at NASA? Are you guys noticing the budget cuts or fearfull of layoffs in this economy? Do you personally feel that NASA should get more funding than it has in recent years, or do you feel that space exploration is a dead field with nothing new to learn?

:cow:

I have a BS in Aerospace Engineering was working on my masters in Physics and Advanced Space Propulsion. My education prepared me pretty well. If your willing to listen and learn you will go far. Every place is different and so you have to adapt accordingly.

As for the economy, I am not noticing any slowdown and not worried about losing my job due to it or budget cuts.

I personally think NASA is extremely under-funded. Almost everything that we develop or learn and use for space-exploration, etc is directly transferrable to society at large. If we are talking of investing in our future, this would be one place to do it.

Space exploration is far from a dead field and in the coming decades you will see it explode with manned missions to Mars and beyond. This is what is inherent in mans being, his soul if you will or his DNA blueprint. We are explorers and when we stop exploring, we become stagnet and useless and end up with a society like we have today. A worthless collection of beings with no desire to excel and expand our understanding of our world and Universe. We no longer have the desire to live, but rather just to exist.

I dont really run structual analysis. I do mechanical design with Solidworks. Cosmos is good enough for most of my applications - its not aerospace like what you do.

I liked solidworks, but still has its kinks. Cosmos does eh... ok stress tests but I would not put my life on it. Ran cosmos and it failed me... maybe one in a million, but that one almost took a life.

Oh but hey... all this talk makes me hot...

I liked solidworks, but still has its kinks. Cosmos does eh... ok stress tests but I would not put my life on it. Ran cosmos and it failed me... maybe one in a million, but that one almost took a life.

Oh but hey... all this talk makes me hot...

Cosmos doesn't understand the heat that you and I would create, nor the fluid mechanics. Does a terrible job with viscoelastic materials too, like skin on skin...

We are explorers and when we stop exploring, we become stagnant and useless and end up with a society like we have today. A worthless collection of beings with no desire to excel and expand our understanding of our world and Universe. We no longer have the desire to live, but rather just to exist.

+1

Awesome job and I am happy you are there!

Top Bottom