Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

my goal: to do a pull-up

wanderlusty

Hi guys! Sorry if this is long.. here's an abstract if you don't want to read the whole thing:

I want to do a pullup. I have 100 pounds to make up. I want to lose about 50 pounds and gain 50 pounds of strength. I know it will take a while, I think at least a year to lose the weight, and I'm not quite sure how long to gain the strength. I want to gain upper-body strength, but I'm not really interested in bulking up (Not that I am worried about it; I suspect I'm a hard-gainer anyways, plus I'm a girl). So I'm fishing for advice on how to combine weight-loss with strength gains, and what exercises would be best for pull-ups.

Okay so the long part:

I have never been able to do a pullup, but have always admired those women who could. It would be a great feeling to be able to lift my own self. I've tried those assisted-pull-ups, and I need about 100 pounds assistance to do one pull-up. I guess you could say I have a long ways to go :)

I am 5'6" and weigh 203 pounds. It's mostly fat. This is actually just about the heaviest I've ever been, but I've been chubby my whole life and obese for the past five years. Ironically, I am more comfortable with my body and my weight than I've ever been, which is nice because it affords me the patience to get in shape the right way. I want to lose weight for several reasons: to avoid health complications like diabetes which is common in my family, to look better, to be able to buy non-hideous clothes at normal stores, and of course to fulfill my pull-up goal. I want to get down to about 155 because that's the weight I carried when I was active and eating normally. Also, looking back, I looked good despite the tummy ;) I have a slow metabolism, big breasts, and a large frame, so I don't see a size 0 in my future :)

More than losing weight, I want to get into shape and live a more active lifestyle. I feel better when I am active, and I know that's the number one thing to keeping myself healthy. It also helps keep me sane, which is a good thing ;)

Ever since I quit sports my senior year in high school, I have made attempts to get in shape. I usually quit again after a month or two. I started working out again I guess July 1st. This was during summer school. I started lifting about 2-3 times a week. I also played a lot of basketball and did some other cardio, not usually too intensly. I ate pretty well, but it was a struggle. I think I improved my core nutrition, but still overdid the bad stuff. I came home on August 4th, and things semi-fell apart. I have spent most of the last two weeks lying on the couch wathing TV, and have done very little cardio. Thankfully, though, I haven't let it all go, which is quite a change from my past patterns! I continued to lift, upping the intensity and going 3-5 days a week. I have also been eating fairly healthfully, although my body is going through shock with the sudden fiber increase! ;) I should note that I have been binging though. Mostly because I have access to stores and my favorite foods that I can't get when I'm at school, and I have nothing to do all day.

Through reading, I saw there were problems with losing weight and gaining muscle mass at the same time. Now I'm not interested in gaining mass, but I am definetly interested in gaining strength. Will a calorie deficit impede my progress? Also, what sort of nutrition do I need to optimally gain strength? I have been doing two sets of 8-12 reps for my arms and back. Every other time I do the second set with higher weight and lower reps.

If it's true that the calorie deficit and the cardio would greatly impede strength gain, I had an idea, that maybe I could alternate periods of strength gain and weight loss. So I would spend a period of time trying to gain strength, and then another period maintaining strength and trying to lose weight. I was thinking one cycle of weights which is six times (twice through a split of back+biceps+abs, legs, and chest+triceps+shoulders+abs) which in general takes me 8-14 days to do. And then I dunno maybe a week of trying to up the cardio and just maintain the lifting and lowering calories. I kinda want to lose a pound a week, but I can do it slower if necessary, and I figure the extra muscle will be helpful in the long run. I dunno is this a silly idea? I've never heard of anybody else doing it. I really have no clue how long the periods should be if it were a good idea anyways.

Thanks in advance!

its a great goal to have...

there is a lot of information here... first, yes, diet is the best place to start, and activity is also very important... if you just think that that's all you have to worry about, and everything else is fine tuning, you'll be fine... it's once you start stressing over all the small details all at once that it becomes overwhelming and too much work to be bothered with...

it sounds to me like you know what it is you have to do... for your diet, plan for a slight calorie deficit, but make sure you are eating clean (lean proteins such as fish, chicken breasts, lean red meat, egg whites etc AND fibourous/complex carbs such as sweet potatoes, oatmeal, veggies AND healthy fats such as flax seed oil, natural peanut butter etc)... your only beverage should be water (and protein shakes if you want to supplement extra protein)... eat 5-6 small meals a day and you shouldn't have a problem with energy level...

now activty... do as much cardio as you can handle right now, and try to add time and/or intensity to that each week... lift weights, ones that are heavy enough to challange you...

coming from where you are, you will probably find that you will be able to add muscle/strength and burn fat simulataneously (you probably wont be able to do either as efficiently as if you were doing them individually, but i'm sure you'll be happy with the overall effect)... (if you want to get stronger, you will have to get more lean muscle mass... there's not really a way around it, especially as you are just starting out... therefore, i wouldn't judge your progress strictly by your weight... who knows you may find that you reach your 155 and you're a hell of a lot closer to your size0 than you ever imagined and you are not only doing pullups, but weighted pullups... muscle mass can make that happen..)

once your body reaches what i call its 'natural state of comfortableness' you will no longer be able to burn fat and add muscle, this point is different for everybody... it is this point that drives many bodybuilders to AS use...

as for a weight split... do what you feel comfortable with and change it when you no longer see results... as a rule, stick to any program for about 6 weeks before you judge your progress and change things, but if you are motivated by change, change the program frequently... as you get more into this, you'll just know what your body needs, until then, surf the training boards and some other websites for ideas...

well, i hope that's helped a bit.. its late, i'm tired and trying to choke down a shake before i hit the sack... i hate it when my friends talk me into going out with them... it always interfers with my lifting the next day :)

welcome to the boards, read and learn lots... keep us updated on that pullup... (get an avi and post it when you get there!!!) :)

Thanks for all the great infos!

there is a lot of information here... first, yes, diet is the best place to start, and activity is also very important... if you just think that that's all you have to worry about, and everything else is fine tuning, you'll be fine... it's once you start stressing over all the small details all at once that it becomes overwhelming and too much work to be bothered with...

You're absolutely right.. perfectionism has always been a stumbling block for me, because of course it's impossible and intimidating to achieve perfection! However, I want to learn as much as possible and if I don't apply it all at once, that's okay :)

it sounds to me like you know what it is you have to do... for your diet, plan for a slight calorie deficit, but make sure you are eating clean (lean proteins such as fish, chicken breasts, lean red meat, egg whites etc AND fibourous/complex carbs such as sweet potatoes, oatmeal, veggies AND healthy fats such as flax seed oil, natural peanut butter etc)... your only beverage should be water (and protein shakes if you want to supplement extra protein)... eat 5-6 small meals a day and you shouldn't have a problem with energy level...

I have been eating about 5 meals a day, which is great, although I must admit that I was under calorie today and suffered for it this evening. About the fat, how about dairy fats? As far as things with fat content, I have been eating mostly lean meat and then yogurt and some cheese, maybe a little olive oil here and there. Other than that, I can't think of any fat in my normal diet. Is this getting me in trouble?

now activty... do as much cardio as you can handle right now, and try to add time and/or intensity to that each week... lift weights, ones that are heavy enough to challange you...
Weights are good.. I LOVE lifting.. after my legs workout I stumble out of that place (am proud to be leg pressing 250+) I've not been doing any cardio though, tommorrow I'll start my plan to do 20 minutes in the morning (so I'll at the very least have some daily cardio).

coming from where you are, you will probably find that you will be able to add muscle/strength and burn fat simulataneously (you probably wont be able to do either as efficiently as if you were doing them individually, but i'm sure you'll be happy with the overall effect)... (if you want to get stronger, you will have to get more lean muscle mass... there's not really a way around it, especially as you are just starting out... therefore, i wouldn't judge your progress strictly by your weight... who knows you may find that you reach your 155 and you're a hell of a lot closer to your size0 than you ever imagined and you are not only doing pullups, but weighted pullups... muscle mass can make that happen..)

Yes, I remember when I started running cross-country and GAINED weight, but sure didn't gain inches ;) I have been weighing myself every time at the gym, and muscle mass is my excuse for not freaking out when the scale doesn't go down. I know that I'm building muscle.. so if it's staying level then I must be losing fat!

once your body reaches what i call its 'natural state of comfortableness' you will no longer be able to burn fat and add muscle, this point is different for everybody... it is this point that drives many bodybuilders to AS use...

I'll be glad to discover what this point is for me! In the past I was comfortably a size 12, but I wasn't lifting then, so maybe I'll be able to be a bit slimmer with the added muscle. I look cute in a size 12 though, so if that's my destiny, okay!

as for a weight split... do what you feel comfortable with and change it when you no longer see results... as a rule, stick to any program for about 6 weeks before you judge your progress and change things, but if you are motivated by change, change the program frequently... as you get more into this, you'll just know what your body needs, until then, surf the training boards and some other websites for ideas...

I will :) Being in tune with my body seems such a strange concept! I'm looking forward to it :)

well, i hope that's helped a bit.. its late, i'm tired and trying to choke down a shake before i hit the sack... i hate it when my friends talk me into going out with them... it always interfers with my lifting the next day :)

hehe I know since I started working out, I also started a regular bedtime.. it's problematic when you made all your friends in your insomiac manifestation. Anyways, your post was very helpful, thanks!

welcome to the boards, read and learn lots... keep us updated on that pullup... (get an avi and post it when you get there!!!) :)

For once in my life, I really feel that I will :)

you want to do a pull up

do the assisted machine

and

do negatives... put the machine on a higher weight so it basically lift you up- at the top( if you have the t- bar lift) kick it out of the way( or if otherwise just curl up legs behind you and lower yourself as slow as you can- fight it all the way. do that frequently and you will be doing unassisted pull-ups in NO TIME.

Hi--- wont take a year with that assist. machine. Thats where I started doing them, slowly made progress on that machine, and now I can do them unasst. LOVE that machine :)

Im sorry but I didnt read the entire post...I just wanted to tell ya that I could NOT do a pullup over a year ago..I started w/the assist and the gravitron, lowering assistance as I could - always push yourself!! All the other upper body exercises help too - so dont neglect your back, abs, etc.....anyway a few weeks ago, I think I got 7 wide grip pull ups unassisted!!! First time I had even attemped since last year! I was so excited!

Your day will come if you work hard!!:D :D

Hi WL :wavey:
I love your goal! a pull-up! Only one other gal at my gym even tries them... they were tough at first... I'm 5'9", once I got down, it was a long way back up again!

Learning them with proper form will ensure you are using your back muscles instead of your arms... trying to think of the arms as 'hooks' while pulling shoulder blades together at the top... and you will probably acheive underhand chins before prone or overhand grip pull-ups due to added bicep assistance in underhands (palms facing). Go for it! :rolly:

You sound smart already regarding diet awareness of diabetes in your family ....and leg pressing 250 lbs- great! :D

Good luck & get after it! :)

Flex

come on guys, at least read the abstract, this isn't just a girl with a weak back, its a metaphor for her quest to achieve a more healthy and fit body and liftestyle... lets help her out a little more than telling her to use the gravatron... (hehe, i'm just proud of myself at 4 in the morning i took the time to read it hehe :) :angel: )

okay i'll get off my high and mighty horse now :)

as for the fat, you need that good fat... dairy and animal fat is highly saturated (read bad) fat... olive oil is a good start, but i recommend getting some more unsaturated healthy EFAs (essential fatty acids) into your diet... fish is a good source of omega acids (3 mainly i believe) but go get yourself a bottle of flax seed oil or udos oil (theres a thread on this page somewhtere about it) and learn to love the taste (lol, you won't but its really not that bad once you get used to it... just a few Ts a day, quick and painless, knock 'em back like shooters :) )

well i'm off to the gym... cardio hell awaits me :)

Try not to lower your caloric intake to less than 1500. As it is, your requirement is at least 2000. That's not too much:)

Increase your cardio a bit more. Try to stay away from foods that just make you want to eat more of it, but do ocassionaly indulge (IN MODERATION) on something that you like so that you don't crave it often. You'll notice the first few pounds melt off quickly, but don't discourage when the loss starts to taper. That's just the way it is.

Negatives are a great way to accomplish your goal. I then placed an incline bench behind me and propped the top of my feet on top. I used the leverage to help pull myself up, then I used negative strength to lower me down. When I reached slight fatigue, I used my feet to control the movement. Within a few months, I was able to do 3 sets of 12 unassisted.

I did mine by using a natural grip. That is, a grip that's not too wide and not too narow, but felt comfy with. This allowed me to take advantage of a full range of motion. A wide grip restricted the range and felt awkward, yet a narrow grip worked too much of my biceps and torqued my wrists.

More than losing weight, I want to get into shape and live a more active lifestyle. I feel better when I am active, and I know that's the number one thing to keeping myself healthy

You can live an active lifestyle now. The fact that you're not at your desired weight shouldn't stop you from doing things that keep you sane:)

ciao

Top Bottom