Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My 1RM thread

JJFigure said:

So, I don't have a new squat max - even though 245 was almost there, I just couldn't get it up and racked.

Bench: 140
Squat: 235
DL: 325

JJ if you look at my HST Journal thread you'll notice that my DL is only maybe 80% of my squat, which is pathetic. I had assumed for the last 10 months (my entire training history) that this was due to very wimpy arm, shoulder, and upper back strength. I've recently been improving my DL form though and have made very rapid DL poundage increases but it still isnt well above my squat poundage like everyone else I see posting.

My question is do you think my weak upper body really is contributing to my very poor dead? I dont have any video but you can see all my poundages on my HST thread.

Thanks. :)

anya, I think GM's have really helped my DL...you may want to give them a shot if you don't already incorporate them into your training. My DL is by far my strongest lift, with my bench being my weakest...

Also, farmer walks have helped me with my grip, not to mention not using straps anymore. When I first started to DL, my back could pull more than my grip could hold, so I picked up some straps which allowed me to pull more but didn't do jack for my grip. So now I've retired them to the side pocket in my gym bag...:)

When I first started deadlifting, it took awhile to get the poundages near what I was squatting (course, I wasn't breaking parallel in my squat back then, so I was squatting a bit more than I squat now). Then, my DL just started to overtake my squat poundages - I could increase my DL poundage almost every training session, but I bottomed out on my squat poundages.

So, I'd say just be patient. If your DL poundages are increasing, you're building up the strength you need to hit the higher numbers. But I don't think having a weaker upper body would be your limitation; DLs are more glute/hamstring strength than upper body strength.

BTW - the college athletes we work with don't test for DL; instead, they use 80% of squat max. So I wouldn't be too concerned your DL is 80% of your squat max. And those of us with long bodies do have a tendency to DL more than we squat; I actually think I have too large a jump between my DL poundages and squat poundages, and am working on lowering that gap.

Thanks for the response JJ.

I wish I had a vid to show my form. :mad:

July 28 I squatted well over 300lbs to slightly below parallel. I had gotten weight happy and I found that my lower body strength went up very fast. My recent 5RM though was down to 265. I'm 5'6" and I have a short torso and longer legs. I have a lot of natural glute and ham/quad thickness but very thin arms, shoulders and bony upper back. My wrists are tiny and forearms are pipecleaners. I definitely have to use straps. I cant even hold on to a 175lb for more than 4-5 seconds.

So based on your observation that the DL is more of a lower body movement I think I should be lifting more, shouldnt I?

The problem with using straps is your grip will never get strong enough; you should be using a mixed grip and chalk, but I'd quit using the straps to help your grip strength to increase.

I'd be curious to see your form; considering the strength of your squat, I'd think you'd be able to get your DL poundage up. Is your grip your limiting factor? Where are you failing? Can you pull it off the floor but fail on lockout?

JJFigure said:
The problem with using straps is your grip will never get strong enough; you should be using a mixed grip and chalk, but I'd quit using the straps to help your grip strength to increase.

I'd be curious to see your form; considering the strength of your squat, I'd think you'd be able to get your DL poundage up. Is your grip your limiting factor? Where are you failing? Can you pull it off the floor but fail on lockout?

You know I think the grip may actually be the big limiting factor. I am not sure yet but I think I tell myself I can not complete another rep when I feel my grip failing.

As for the point where I fail, its usually at the bottom of the movement.

I alternate between using straps and a mixed grip with chalk. I do it without straps sometimes in order to attempt to strengthen my grip. I'm getting confused as hell about the straps/no straps argument. Should I use them or not? There are respected experienced lifters on both sides of this argument on EF. I think this is why I'm already kind of waffling on using them sometimes but no others.

Using straps will NOT strengthen your grip. If anything, it will do the opposite, but WILL allow you to pull more weight. At the least, don't rely on them...use them sparingly if you absolutely must.

One side of the argument (held by mostly BB's from what I've seen) is that improving their grip is NOT in line with their goals (i.e. - hypertrophy). Because straps will allow you to lift more, I'm sure your back, hams, etc. would get a "better" workout due to the increase in poundages.

For Strongmen type training/events, a strong grip is ESSENTIAL. Others believe that you should work on your weak points...if your grip is the weak link in your DL, then work on it to bring it up...I'm thinking balance here.

Keep with the chalk and mixed grip. Add farmer walks to your training and keep the straps in your gym bag. I'm confident with some time and effort you'll greatly improve your grip strength.

***Plus it comes in handy when you need to arbitrarily rip open boxes or those sticky jars of jelly!*** :D

Straps are good on the dealift when the concern is to really target/concentrate on the back. I don't use straps when I'm in the 80% region of my 1RM. Before that, I still do use straps.

And don't forget dimels and rack pulls to assist in the deads.

Top Bottom