Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Most Americans can no longer collect unemployment..

lol @ brownbrown telling plunkey to give sources when he didn't provide any himself.
I did that because Squidly Plunk's last source was the Heritage foundation.
No Disrespect to Digi and K250. They are good honest and fair dudes.
But owning a business doesn't make them business masters.
Bankruptcy:
Gary Went
Tom Kivisto
Richard Fuld
Sam Zell
Phillip Shoonover
and Donald trump (3 or 4 times?)
All of these guys have well over a century of business experience high degrees' from Ivy league schools (well maybe not Trump) and all have Bombed.

Bankruptcy:
Gary Went
Tom Kivisto
Richard Fuld
Sam Zell
Phillip Shoonover
All of these guys have well over a century of business experience high degrees' from Ivy league schools (well maybe not Trump) and all have Bombed.

Then perhaps you could enlighten us with your business resume. You seem to have some passionate views on businesses and how they should be regulated. On what real life experience do you base your opinions?

Bankruptcy:
Gary Went
Tom Kivisto
Richard Fuld
Sam Zell
Phillip Shoonover

well...the business that i own/operate does involve significant amounts of time valuing other businesses for purchases, sales, mergers and acquisitions, divorces, shareholder disputes, etc...i'm also deeply involved in long-term business planning for various clients, taking all facets of their respective business (cash flow, debt-financing, tax, environmental, regulatory, etc.) into consideration...and, at any given time i have half a dozen or so start-ups and/or recent acquisition clients whose hands i am holding as they navigate the treacherous waters of the first five years of business ownership...and, i've been doing this for approximately 20 years...but, you're probably right, i probably don't know that much about successfully operating a small business (and when i say small, i'm talking about gross receipts less than $25 million per year)...oh and, honestly?? i've learned WAY more from the business owners that i work with (both successful and unsuccessful) than i EVER learned sitting in any classroom.

ps: the ivy league is where you go to make high-profile business connections, while you're receiving your education...the business education that you receive at those schools isn't any better than you can get at penn state or pitt or lycoming, etc...you just pay a lot more for it...a chevy will get you to the bank just as well as a ferrari...the ferrari may get you there a little faster...or you might wrap it around a utility pole along the way :whatever:

Last edited:
well...the business that i own/operate does involve significant amounts of time valuing other businesses for purchases, sales, mergers and acquisitions, divorces, shareholder disputes, etc...i'm also deeply involved in long-term business planning for various clients, taking all facets of their respective business (cash flow, debt-financing, tax, environmental, regulatory, etc.) into consideration...and, at any given time i have half a dozen or so start-ups and/or recent acquisition clients whose hands i am holding as they navigate the treacherous waters of the first five years of business ownership...and, i've been doing this for approximately 20 years...but, you're probably right, i probably don't know that much about successfully operating a small business (and when i say small, i'm talking about gross receipts less than $25 million per year)...oh and, honestly?? i've learned WAY more from the business owners that i work with (both successful and unsuccessful) than i EVER learned sitting in any classroom.

Looking at lots of deals is a great way to learn a ton about business. That's got to be great experience.

The very employable will get jobs, they might just not be the jobs they want (or at the pay they want).

The unemployable will be more unemployable than ever.

The new problem will the the ones that were employable two years ago that employers don't want to risk since they've been idle for so long. Those are the people who will be trapped. If I had to choose between a 22 year old straight out of college and a 24 year old who graduated two years ago and sat idle, I'd be biased to chose the 22 year old.

Didn't read the rest of the thread past here yet, but any person that age saying they haven't done shit in 2 years doesn't deserve to get the job.

When I finished my undergrad in '09, I got a job right out of school. Then a friend and I planned on moving, but she had to save up so one day she calls me and says she's ready so we make arrangements and I put in my 2 weeks. Then she bailed and I was left jobless.

I looked for jobs for a couple months, but I couldn't find anything because people were hiring over-qualified candidates for what they would've paid me because they could. Long story short, I took an unpaid internship for a couple months and got a job out of it. It's only a couple months, and if you aren't getting paid anyways, might as well at least be doing some work in your field so that even if it doesn't turn in to a job, you can say to other potential places of employment that you haven't been sitting on your ass for months or years doing nothing.

There's always work to be done or something to do to fill what would become a huge time gap on a resume. The problem is just that people my age think they deserve to get out of college and find the perfect job with an awesome salary.

So yeah, it's their own fault, IMO. There's really no good reason for large unemployment gaps.

Looking at lots of deals is a great way to learn a ton about business. That's got to be great experience.

the economic conditions that we've been living with for the last couple of years has made my job (i.e., predicting the future) a little trickier, though :lmao:

the economic conditions that we've been living with for the last couple of years has made my job (i.e., predicting the future) a little trickier, though :lmao:

Right now, I'm seeing that cash is king. The current conditions are killing-off cash intensive businesses and favoring ones that don't need as much working capital.

Didn't read the rest of the thread past here yet, but any person that age saying they haven't done shit in 2 years doesn't deserve to get the job.

When I finished my undergrad in '09, I got a job right out of school. Then a friend and I planned on moving, but she had to save up so one day she calls me and says she's ready so we make arrangements and I put in my 2 weeks. Then she bailed and I was left jobless.

I looked for jobs for a couple months, but I couldn't find anything because people were hiring over-qualified candidates for what they would've paid me because they could. Long story short, I took an unpaid internship for a couple months and got a job out of it. It's only a couple months, and if you aren't getting paid anyways, might as well at least be doing some work in your field so that even if it doesn't turn in to a job, you can say to other potential places of employment that you haven't been sitting on your ass for months or years doing nothing.

There's always work to be done or something to do to fill what would become a huge time gap on a resume. The problem is just that people my age think they deserve to get out of college and find the perfect job with an awesome salary.

So yeah, it's their own fault, IMO. There's really no good reason for large unemployment gaps.

I completely agree. Internships are a great way to avoid an employment gap, gain experience and often lead to a job at that company.

Today's everyone-gets-a-trophy generation doesn't understand that so instead, they sit around bitching about the jobs market.

Right now, I'm seeing that cash is king. The current conditions are killing-off cash intensive businesses and favoring ones that don't need as much working capital.

well, i suppose that's true to a certain extent...however, i believe that the current state of affairs with regard to the banking industry is that most have a lot of cash to lend, but they are waaaayyyyy more selective about who they give it too and how much they give...and i don't see that condition changing anytime soon...i have a number of (successful) clients (all them manufacturers that are highly capital and labor intensive) that have been in full-on expansion mode for the last 12 to 18 months and the banks are calling them, trying to give them more money.

well, i suppose that's true to a certain extent...however, i believe that the current state of affairs with regard to the banking industry is that most have a lot of cash to lend, but they are waaaayyyyy more selective about who they give it too and how much they give...and i don't see that condition changing anytime soon...i have a number of (successful) clients (all them manufacturers that are highly capital and labor intensive) that have been in full-on expansion mode for the last 12 to 18 months and the banks are calling them, trying to give them more money.

Oh, the businesses that don't need it can most definitely get it. We're noticing that a lot of our smaller suppliers are hurting badly though. We purchased one of them this year (finalizing it this month) and will probably buy two of them this coming year.

Top Bottom