Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

mental help question

blueyedkowgrl

here goes! If you had a "friend" who felt as though they were possibly on the verge of a nervous breakdown or going to up an leave her husband because she couldn't handle stuff anymore where would you send her? to a dr of psychology, or psychiatry she has these people on her medical plan but doesn't know the diffrence between the 2. she doesn't know who to ask because she doesn't really want anyone to know that she is having these problems because of the stigma that goes along with it. she wants help soon before it gets completely out of control. thanks

~blue

the difference is that a psychiatrist is a MD and can prescribe medication. A psychologist is not a MD, but has a PHD in Pyschology. There are benefits for both. Maybe she can ask her family physician. I dont wan to make a recommendation as I am not an expert. But if it's for therapy , maybe a psychologist. If she may have a condition that needs to be treated, maybe a psychiatrist. But ask a physician. Take care and all the best to your "friend"
:)

psychiatrist can prescribe meds-psychologist cannot-most psychiatrists do not do a lot of therapy-they just dole out drugs-psychologists do alot more talk therapy w/ patients

There are centers where u can go to be "evaluated"... based upon their finidings they will place u with the appropriate therapist. you may be referred to a psychologist at that facilty...or maybe ull need some meds and will be refered to another doc. take a look through ur phone book and there should be tons of listings. personally, i would go to a FEW sessions with different people to see which one u feel the most comfortable with. Some are just completely CLUELESS so look around a little for the right one. good luck! :)

A pyschologist is normally cheaper and can either recommend a prescription to your family doctor or send you to psychiatrist if you need it, usually if you just need to talk a pyschologist is good if they do send you to the MD it will probably just be to get meds and then you'll go back to a pyscholgist if you feel comfortable with them. I used to answer phones for a pyschiatrist and a marriage and family pyscholgist... thats how they worked everything and it was cheaper for their patients!

Without a doubt, the psycologist that specializes in marital or family counciling will be the most help. But as suggested above, try on a few before settling down for the long-haul. There are some certifiable crazies with a sheepskin 'practising' on people like us.

As WL stated, been there before myself. The more people your friend can verbalize the situation and her feelings to, the better. Typically, the person will resolve the issues themself but a good therapist can help them do it faster.

Feel free to email or IM if you have any questions or ........

WarLobo said:
Talk first. Best place to start. If you need to e-mail me you have my addy. Delt with this sort of thing before.

guess i couldve offered my ear also. :) i am currently going through something similar and sometimes feel like im going to lose it. SHe can email me too anytime. I m a good "talker"

take care:angel:

actually on that note, i've met a few friends frome Elite here that have been kind enough to chat or exchange emails that has doen me sonders of good. Very kind people here :)

Top Bottom