Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mad Men....

what's with don draper (lead character) going out for the cake and disappearing?

rnch said:
what's with don draper (lead character) going out for the cake and disappearing?
Don is the guy I identify with most...he has everything but it's all superficial.... We'll see if it parallels my journey...... I had so many people tell me they wished they had my life and I looked back at them and said.....really????? The grass is always greener..... :)

he prolly dumps the wife and moves to the hait-asberry section of san francisco in 1967

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_Gray_Flannel_Suit
The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, by Sloan Wilson, is a novel about the American search for purpose in world dominated by business. Tom and Betsy Rath share a struggle to find contentment in their hectic and material culture while several other characters fight essentially the same battle, but struggle in it for different reasons. In the end, it is a story of taking responsibility for one's own life. The book was largely autobiographical, drawing on Wilson's experiences as assistant director of the US national citizen commission for the public schools.

The novel was made into a movie in 1956, starring Gregory Peck and Jennifer Jones as Tom and Betsy Rath, with Fredric March and Lee J. Cobb in supporting roles (March plays Tom Rath's boss, a character based on Roy Larsen, Wilson's boss at Time, Inc.).

The movie and book have become hugely popular, and the book continues to appear in the references of sociologists to America's discontented businessman. In 2002, the book was returned to print in a new edition with a foreword by author Jonathan Franzen.

The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit II appeared in 1984 - by the time of the sequel, Tom and Betsy have divorced and Tom is employed in the Kennedy administration.

[edit] Plot Summary
Tom and Betsy Rath live in a rundown house in Southport, Connecticut around 1955. They have three TV-addicted kids (two girls and boy) and have money problems. Tom is 33 years old, a Harvard graduate, and barely survived as an Army officer during World War II. He fought in (an unlikely scenario) both the European and Pacific combat theaters, and is sometimes haunted by painful flashback memories. Because his stay-at-home wife feels his job with a Manhattan charitable organization pays too little, she and a fellow train commuter urge him to interview for a job at a New York-based television network.

Tom lands a public relations job working in a staff position for the top man at the network. The top man is a very wealthy nice guy surrounded by politicking yes-men, and is to speak before a group of physicians to propose establishment of improved mental health services and offering to put network time toward that end. The problem Tom has to solve is how the top network man can best present the proposal to the learned doctors so that the doctors will rise in unison after the speech and appoint the network top man to spearhead the campaign.

Hired on a six-month probationary basis, Tom reports to a humorless game-player who rejects five different drafts of the speech created by Tom and ends up substituting one of his own. Eventually the top network guy and Tom agree that the approach approved so far is all wrong in that it casts the network guy as an ignoramus who is in no way qualified to spearhead the campaign. Tom's approach is much more sensible: offer to run political ads in favor of the establishment of government-funded mental health programs. It would be an offer the doctors could not refuse.

Sidebar plots include (1) an attempt by the caretaker of Tom's late grandmother to fraudulently inherit her home (where Tom and his family live) in place of Tom; (2) the estrangement of Tom's network boss from his wife and daughter, due to his years of workaholic absence (the daughter quits school to elope with an undesirable man); and (3) Tom's earlier adulterous behavior and his out-of-wedlock son who was conceived in Italy during the war at a time of great stress, who pops up years later as an issue in a letter from the boy's Italian mother seeking monetary support for the boy at a most inconvenient time. Betsy goes berserk on hearing of this secret, but eventually calms down.

In the end, seeing the example of how his boss's marriage and family life had been ruined by overwork, Tom wisely turns down a high-pressure traveling position in order to work normal hours and spend time with his family.

yes, i recall watching "flannel" many, many years ago....one of my father's favorite movies.

"life is a compromise, son.........the older you get the more you realize this"

rnch said:
yes, i recall watching "flannel" many, many years ago....one of my father's favorite movies.

"life is a compromise, son.........the older you get the more you realize this"
Oh man...true dat...

also:

"most middle class husbands lead lives of quiet desperation"

(usually after my mom did something that pissed him off)

Top Bottom