Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting for Pwer?

maybe

So the long and short of it is I'm hoping to jump higher through a lifting program. I realize a lot of initial responses will be that I just need to invest some time into plyo, and I guess if I really wanted to, I could just do that, but I really enjoy lifting, so I would really rather shoot to incoporate power into a regimen. So let's recap: maybe plyo is a better solution for my quest, but I want to lift because I enjoy it.

Here's all the relevant information: I'm 20 y.o., 6'2, 170 give or take and usually hovering around 10% bf. I'm definitely one of those kids that had no problem with abs but now have to work tirelessly for any gain in muscle mass. That being said, I'm trying to keep fundamental compound lifts in this routine as to help my efforts to put on muscle.

Tuesday
Power Clean 5x3 (right now I'm just at 135 with good form)
Incline Bench 5x5 (having trouble increasing this, but its just around 160)
Front Squat 5x5 (easily my favorite lift; shooting for 175 next Tuesday)

Thursday
Box Jump 4x5 (30" box)
Deadlift 2x 4/3/2
Weighted Dips 3x8
Weighted Pullups 3x10 (currently just at BW)

Saturday
One-arm DB Snatch 4x6 (I like using a barbell for this too because it just looks so cool)
Flat Bench 5x5
Back Squat 5x5

So there it is. As you can see, I have one big power move in each workout accompanied by some serious powerlifting moves. Isolation is hardly worth anything for my aims, so unless you guys can come up with a good reason for it, I had just assumed I'd stay away from it.

Looks pretty good. The few things I've read about improving explosiveness for jumping and running had said about the same thing, mix heavy with speed on olympic and compound lifts. Go heavy on the weights for some workouts especially squats, deadlifts, snatches and cleans(1-3 rep range, small number of sets, slow and heavy). Then workouts with speed sets( 3-4 rep,less weight, more sets, quicker movements with shorter rests). Other exercises were romanian deadlifts for the hams, snatch pulls, and jump squats with dumbells.

Just a few things Ive read, hope it helps. What you got looks real good. Goodluck with everything!

From My Droid MoFo!

throw in some one legged squats, depth drops, and glute hams if u want to jump higher, i also like to do weighted hip thrusts

Moya, yes, I play basketball, and this workout is one way I'm trying to improve. Basketball also happens to be a big reason why I have so much trouble gaining weight. 2-3 hours even just one day a week, while enjoyable, are definitely catabolic. I'm glad you like it though! I've spent a lot of time and research trying to come up with something simple and effective.

I like these other exercises that have been mentioned though, and I want to work them in somehow. With the three days I list in my original post, I'm usually too beat to add much more accessory work, but maybe a fourth day?

DB Squat Jump 4x5
Push Press (or just Military) 5x5 (or even C&J 5x5)
A) RDL 3x8
B) pistol squat 3x8
GHR 3x6

Something like this maybe?

Thanks for all the input, guys

^no fourth day bro... just like you said, keep it simple...
im working out far less then before, and because i have a VERY physical job my results are coming better this year then before...
if anything you could swap in and out different exersises more geared toward your vertical, but i definitely wouldnt add any more volume if you are playing ball...

Top Bottom