Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Kimbo Slice just TKOED

Isn't that one of the weaknesses of MMA as a sport? It seems like a somewhat random event can create a huge swing in the outcome almost regardless of the participants.

Venturing a little far from the Home Economics forum aren’t you big guy?

Venturing a little far from the Home Economics forum aren’t you big guy?

I am!

Hell, I can't spell MMA. Probably watched a combined total of 2 minutes or less of the sport.

As an outsider looking in, it seems like in a basketball, baseball or football game if one team is clearly superior to another, the numbers will wash-out. So a freak touchdown or a freak three-pointer are easily neutralized. Sure you can have a hail mary pass with 0:03 on the clock, but the question would be: "Why didn't you get at least a touchdown ahead before the other team even through the pass."

But in something like MMA (soccer seems this way to me too), the entire event can be completely dominated by a freak event.

Is that true?

I am!

Hell, I can't spell MMA. Probably watched a combined total of 2 minutes or less of the sport.

As an outsider looking in, it seems like in a basketball, baseball or football game if one team is clearly superior to another, the numbers will wash-out. So a freak touchdown or a freak three-pointer are easily neutralized. Sure you can have a hail mary pass with 0:03 on the clock, but the question would be: "Why didn't you get at least a touchdown ahead before the other team even through the pass."

But in something like MMA (soccer seems this way to me too), the entire event can be completely dominated by a freak event.

Is that true?

Everyone has a "puncher's chance" but if you followed MMA since its inception you'd be amazed at the evolution of the sport.

At the top levels you really have to be versed (at a world class level) in all aspects, e.g. standup, grappling, submissions, and the corresponding defenses.

That first punch sent him down and rattled him. Noticed how he hit his knees and sort of just stayed there still giving Seth the chance to get over his momentary "oh shit look what I did" surprise and then pounce on him?

Kimbo got exposed as a choke artist there.

If that shit is gonna succeed they'll need better announcers.

Better fucking refs too. I got tired of seeing that Troy do the chest to lips floaty kisses to heaven bullshit every time they announced his name as referee. Bitch no one paid to come there and see you. Stop that attention whoring bullshit. You're a nobody.

And each time he had to rear back on one leg to start the "fight" command each round, I kept thinking that the invisible man just kicked him in the nuts.

Everyone has a "puncher's chance" but if you followed MMA since its inception you'd be amazed at the evolution of the sport.

At the top levels you really have to be versed (at a world class level) in all aspects, e.g. standup, grappling, submissions, and the corresponding defenses.

Oh, the skills these guys have are indisputable. They have to be insanely conditioned, well trained in multiple disciplines then they need the mental ability to put it all together into a coherent fight plan. I'm sold on the athletes.

I look at MMA like two basketball teams playing but instead of playing a fixed time, the game's over whenever one team gets ahead by five or more. So the game could go-on for hours... but a quick score, turnover and a fast three could end it in seconds. I just don't see how the sport deals with the tremendous variability.

That first punch sent him down and rattled him. Noticed how he hit his knees and sort of just stayed there still giving Seth the chance to get over his momentary "oh shit look what I did" surprise and then pounce on him?

Kimbo got exposed as a choke artist there.

Agreed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4GfOJ9Q7U

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ur4GfOJ9Q7U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ur4GfOJ9Q7U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Man, I thought Kimbo could take a punch.

Kimbo went to block a front kick, which left his guard low, he got caught with a left jab right on "the buttom" the lower jaw. You can knock someone out with about 10lbs of pressure applied there, Kimbo didn't lose consciousness, but was cleary out of it for a good 10 seconds after taking that shot.

You'll notice he grabbed the ref's leg after he started the fight, Kimbo was still not clear headed then. Of course after the fight was stopped, his senses returned within a few moments and he was pissed the fight was stopped, but it was for his protection. With him continuing to take shots to the head, he would hot have recovered before more damage was inflicted on his brain.

I thought Kimbo could take a fucking punch, that was the best thing about him I thought was his strong jaw, but apparently its more like a glass jaw.

Top Bottom