Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is something wrong????

boogyman

will first off im not a big guy. I have been lifting for over a year now but I play basketball ALOT.

so anyway a couple months ago I started concentrating on squats more. I do squats on the smith machine. Anyway I usually do around 200 pounds making little improvements. But a few days ago I did squats for the first time in a week.

I DID OVER 400 POUNDS

yes I kept going higher and higher and higher. By the time I past 400 I had done about 15 sets and felt like I could have kept going.

WHAT HAPPENED?

A period of decreased workload after a period of heavier workload can do wonders (ever wonder how people peak for competitions).

Get off the smith machine. It's not safer, it's not better, it's A LOT less effective, it's carryover to real world movements is crap.

The Squat - mandatory reading and one of the best writeups around: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332299

deltreefitness said:
What is the Smith good for?

towel rack....

j/k, actually it was designed to be a safe alternative for upper body pressing exercises. one thing they missed though...the power rack has been around longer and has safety pins, so i have to say its kindof lame. :chomp:

Not all Smiths are equal

I have both a power rack and a smith machine at home.
The old smith machines that go up and down vertically suck.
I have to say though that there is a new kind of Smith machine that has a 7 degree slant which reflects the non-vertical push pull of the body. I have this type of Smith and so far I have great results from it, I still use my power rack and there is very little difference (at least that I noticed).

Shop around as not all smiths are equal. Always try before you buy (or join a gym that has a machine before you buy it).

deltreefitness said:
What is the Smith good for?
You can melt it down and sell off the base metals and free up some space. I guess that would give one some knowledge of base metalurgy which can be fairly valuable if you wanted to get into metal working and blacksmithing.

regular squats are very uncomfterable for me.

A new 24hour fitness has a type of squat machine with a rounded sled like thing you stand on. Anybody know of this?

Top Bottom