Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Interesting 2 Articles on ADHD/ ADD....

*MissFit* said:
Saran wrap
bubble wrap! i say that cuz if i see some, we're not going anywhere for a while. i'll sit and make sure every bubble has been popped. saran wrap? if i see that, well, we're not going anywhere for a while........

*MissFit* said:
I read alot on this particular subject.. I have it myself.

Do you find working out helps, hinders, or does not affect your ADHD?

Also, do you find if you miss workouts you get worse, better, or no change?

Lifting is my ADD/ADHD therapy... I get in the zone, and it's almost a "zen like" experience for me sometimes, as strange as that may sound.

I say ADD/ADHD because I believe most diagnosed with one have parts and/or are a blend of the 2. I'm seen as more ADD, but definetly can be hyper (more internal mostly) at times.

- SGT

EDIT: if I miss a workout, it affects me very negatively because I have bound up energy that hasn't been expanded in a productive way.

Damn got sidetracked with the last question.... lol, how ironic.

More very interesting reads *MissFit*

How do you feel it's affected you (positivly or negatively) in the workforce? And looking back in the academia world... how so there?

- SGT

MikeMartial said:
Do you find working out helps, hinders, or does not affect your ADHD?

Also, do you find if you miss workouts you get worse, better, or no change?

In my entire life nothing has been able to keep my attenion or focus.. besides men of course :verygood: except working out

So i would say that working out.. doing something i enjoy has not necessailry helped, but given me an outlet to use my hyperness.

I basically chose the wrong profession (makreting/ corporate sponsorship). i have a desk job with a lot of social interaction, but it require focus and attenion. I can grasp details and im intuative.. but only if i wanna to be.. best way i can describe it is like a kitten with a shinny object.. if u give me a ball i will play with it and chase it around.. but if u put a shinny object in my line of eye.. i will give up the ball and lose focus on it and chase the shiny object instead. It makes finishing things difficult. And unlike you i cant force myself back.. i chase the shinny :)

I'm very hard on myself.. when i do something wrong and i guess working out.. i set my own goald snad i meet them.. so yes missing work outs frustrates me.

sgtslaughter said:
Damn got sidetracked with the last question.... lol, how ironic.

More very interesting reads *MissFit*

How do you feel it's affected you (positivly or negatively) in the workforce? And looking back in the academia world... how so there?

- SGT

I'm a natural ditz.. as bad as it sounds, but oddly enough i did very well in school in the end.

I had didn't learn to read till grade 4 or 5, was almost held back, and was diagnoised with dyslexia.

I struggled with school till about grade 9 then something changed.
I realized i had trouble staying focused.. my parents decided they didnt want me to have ADHd when i was 11, and took me off meds.. i didnt know this till recently..

But anyhow.. basically i have no idea but i worked my ass off and i guess it paid off. I have been on my own since i was 16 and developed an i will show them attitude..wanted to prove my mother wrong.. totally other story..

I struggle every day at work.. i have to write eveything down, i have to build up walls, i don't have an office, and i get my sister who works at the media agency that works with us to check over all my work to ensure i haven't made any errors that may be considered careless. My boss knows i have ADHD, but he doesn't understand it. He thinks one day it will go away.

Socially i know im different.. rarely down.. always hyper..but im shy in a different way.. NOT the way i DRESS ;)

wow... very interesting start indeed.

I can't even fathem how you learned to overcome dyslexia ( I know alot do, but to someone that doesn't it... i dunno, unbelievable... but a Great thing for sure)...

haha, the shy thing... i understand 150%. It's weird huh? It's almost like I want attention subconciously... but when I get it, not too sure what I"m supposed to do with it I guess. It's not like I dress "scandelously," I lived in Providence Rhode Island for a few years going to a University and go into alot of fashion, so I know how to dress well... know what i mean?

The opposite happend to me when I was younger, I actually told my parents I wanted off the medication... I hate "crutches" still do... but I don't think of them the same now I guess. I struggled big time in middle school (junior high 6-8 grade) went to summer school and all that... I simply wasn't being tought in a way that I could learn it the best... so it took me a long time to figure out a way in which I would learn best... which was studying my ass off and getting tutors afterschool help.

I hear you at work: I have to write EVERY thing down! I have a posty/sticky notes just for that reason... then i stick them in the order in which they need to be done, lol.

Ok, speaking of which... gotta get back to work :)

- SGT

Psychosocial Behavior Management Strategies

Adults with ADHD can also benefit from some basic organizational concepts and behavior management strategies to help manage the condition. Here are ways to train yourself to overcome these problems or make them more manageable:

Take medications as directed. If you are taking any medications for ADHD or any other condition, be sure and take them exactly as prescribed. Missing a dose or taking two doses at once to catch up on missed doses can have negative consequences for you and others. If you are noticing side effects or other problems, speak to your health care provider as soon as possible.
Organize yourself. Train yourself to become more organized. Make lists of daily tasks (be reasonable!) and strive to complete them. Use a daily planner, leave notes for yourself and set your alarm clock when you need to remember an appointment or other activity.
Control impulsive behavior. If you have a tendency to do things you later regret, such as interrupting or getting angry at others, manage the impulse by counting to 10 while breathing slowly instead of acting out. Usually the impulse will pass as quickly as it appeared.
Minimize distractions. Find ways to reduce the distractions throughout the day. If you find yourself being distracted by loud music or the television, turn it off or use earplugs. Move yourself to a quieter location or ask others to help reduce distractions.
Find constructive outlets for excess energy. People with ADHD sometimes seem to have more nervous energy than others, and this hyperactivity needs to have an outlet of some sort. A hobby or other pastime can be helpful.
Ask for help. We all need help from time to time and it is important to not be afraid to ask for it when you need it. If you are having disruptive thoughts or behaviors, ask a counselor if they have any techniques that might help control them.

Living with Adult ADHD

Although most people don't outgrow ADHD, they do learn to adapt. If the difficulties associated with ADHD are managed appropriately throughout their lives, adults with ADHD can learn to develop personal strengths and become productive and successful.

Took me a while to read thru all the posts you have here (still reading) MissFit but this is good stuff. Looks like you've spent some hours researching the stuff. Being in the right profession helps alot. The last job I had was a desk job that had no interaction with people whatsoever (network engineer). It killed me to sit in my cube all day. The job I have now is a desk job as well however it has alot of interaction with people (desktop support). It's less $$$ but in the long run it makes me happier. I get to be up and about all day, talking to different people, working on different problems.

SGT....I use the same expression to describe working out...I call it my "zen-time"

embrace said:
Took me a while to read thru all the posts you have here (still reading) MissFit but this is good stuff. Looks like you've spent some hours researching the stuff. Being in the right profession helps alot. The last job I had was a desk job that had no interaction with people whatsoever (network engineer). It killed me to sit in my cube all day. The job I have now is a desk job as well however it has alot of interaction with people (desktop support). It's less $$$ but in the long run it makes me happier. I get to be up and about all day, talking to different people, working on different problems.

SGT....I use the same expression to describe working out...I call it my "zen-time"

The last year has been a very good development for myself.. i'm not in the right profession but i do my best to adapt, and my boss is aware of the ADHd and does what he can to make my work space suited to me

Top Bottom