Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Interesting 2 Articles on ADHD/ ADD....

M

*MissFit*

I know there are a few other people on the board who have it.. I guess trying to understand myself just a little bt better.. It's been about a year since i was diagnoised.

I usually come across the same information over and over again but thought i would share these two articles.. :)

Anyhow.. here they r

An adult with ADD walks into a relationship carrying a great deal of emotional baggage. This is especially true if he or she was not diagnosed until adulthood. Growing up knowing something isn't quite right but not knowing what it is, can lead one to make many erroneous conclusions. This can lead to the development of a negative and usually distorted self-image.

The messages an adult with attention deficits often carries with her, as well as her ADHD traits greatly affect her relationships. Looking at both the positive and negative traits that come with ADD can help shed some light on how strongly relationships are affected. There are as many differences in adults with attention deficits as there are similarities, however. Each person I've seen in my private practice as an MFCC is quite unique. Some of the traits I'll describe in this article, therefore, fit for some people but not for others. There are differences between men and women and between those who exhibit traits of hyperactivity and impulsivity compared to the more inattentive, disorganized type of person.

In this article, I'll discuss messages ADD adults bring with them into relationships, ADD traits, and strategies for coping with relationships when one partner has ADD.

An adult with ADD or ADHD (I'll be using the two terms interchangeably) grows up hearing many negative messages from others. Parents, teachers, coaches, and peers notice the ADD individual's difficulty sitting still, following through, attending to what they are supposed to and they often comment on it. After being criticized over and over for traits he has no control over, this often undiagnosed child starts to feel bad about not measuring up to other's standards. He begins to internalize the messages he hears from others. Over time a sense of shame develops. This child isn't trying to break all the rules. For the most part, he'd like to please the adults around him but he can't figure out how. He has no idea when his brain will kick in and allow him to finish his math sheet or play quietly with a sibling.

As an adult, these feelings of shame often continue. Most of my adult clients tell me they've spent their lives feeling ashamed because they were unable to complete the tasks asked of them, couldn't concentrate even when they wanted to, or just stood out as being the class space cadet.

This has led them to make erroneous conclusions about themselves. I've been amazed at how many times an obviously bright, articulate, and interesting ADD adult has sat in my office and told me that he thinks of himself as stupid. Frequently, a woman who I clearly believe is bright has spent years telling herself she is stupid because she can't figure out why she can't perform as well as others around her.

Other messages adults with ADD internalize include, "He (she) always blames me. If he (she) wouldn't be so picky, things would be fine. It's really his (her) fault for making such a fuss about those little things." Still other individuals have made numerous attempts to be organized, on time, and to follow through on tasks with little success. Many of these people say to themselves, "I can't do it no matter how hard I try." Another prevalent message I've heard in my office is more common with the higher achieving adult with attention deficits. He or she carries the belief, "I am a fraud and it's only a matter of time before "they" find out." This person manages to get his job done but may do so by putting in many extra hours to keep up with his non- ADD co-workers or the individual may get overwhelmed by lots of verbal directions and be petrified that her boss will discover incomplete tasks that she missed because of overload. These adults describe the feeling of always waiting to be found out.

Growing up with attention deficit disorder also means repeatedly receiving certain messages from others. Some of these messages are confusing at best while others are clearly damaging to one's self-concept. Such messages include: "If only you'd try harder." This can be an especially destructive thing to say because trying harder doesn't allow someone with ADHD to sit still any longer, to concentrate, or to complete tasks. Telling someone who is trying and still can't do it to try harder can only lead her to think poorly of herself for her lack of success.

"Don't do it that way." "Your way is wrong." Many children and adults with ADHD can see novel or unique ways to approach a task. Unfortunately, these creative ideas are often squelched by traditional thinkers who insist things be done "the right way".

Other ideas imparted to those with ADD include, "Why can't you just...do it ?" The "it" might be concentrate, get started on the assignment, clean up your room, or sit quietly. A child with ADHD doesn't know why she can't do it and often begins to see herself as inadequate when continuously confronted with her shortcomings. She is told time and again, "Sit still", "Wait your turn", "Don't call out", "Look at your mess!", "You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached to you!", "Pay attention", "You're just lazy!" These messages which usually come from well-meaning but frustrated adults can be very harmful to the child's sense of self.

Despite carrying this emotional baggage with him, an adult with ADD can be quite attractive to people he meets. He brings excitement and energy to life. He knows how to have fun and may show a wonderful sense of humor. This can be stimulating to others he encounters. An adult with ADD is often creative and sees new perspectives. Many of the adults I have met have a fresh or innocent way of perceiving the world. They have multi-faceted viewpoints and varied interests. I've met men and women who have a breadth of knowledge due to their varied interests and others who have a depth of knowledge in specific areas because they focus better on one thing at a time. Clients I've seen have usually been caring and empathic people. Despite their numerous setbacks, they manage to pick themselves up and try again. They have been both persistent and determined.

Being in an ongoing relationship with an adult who has attention deficit disorder brings one face to face with the problematic traits also associated with ADHD. It is often difficult for an adult with ADD to stay tuned in to conversations. She may become easily bored or just distracted by other stimuli. Due to the many obstacles encountered daily, he may believe he can't do "it" and may not bother trying. He may be unrealistic about time commitments, truly believing it will only take five minutes to make a stop and then comes home two hours late, infuriating his partner. An adult with ADD may have problems saying no to demands placed on her. After years of being criticized by parents, teachers, and partners, she may say yes to get others off her back. She often does this automatically without thinking through whether she can or wants to do what is asked. A related trait is difficulty setting clear limits. If one is easily distracted, underestimates how long it takes to do things, and feels external pressure to do his share, he probably has trouble setting a clear limit for himself. He, therefore, takes on more than he can do and as a result leaves many tasks unfinished or forgets important appointments in his harried state.

An adult who has ADHD may begin to resent the criticism she receives from significant others. This resentment makes her less likely to even try to find ways to be more responsible about the areas her partner is constantly complaining about.

Another recurrent theme I hear from adults I work with is that they have trouble trusting themselves. When a woman with ADHD repeatedly can't complete tasks within the time she expects, wastes entire days trying to get started on seemingly easy projects, and misses important details in conversations, she has trouble believing her intuition is right. She may, therefore, go along with what someone else tells her, even when she doesn't agree. These same people are then prone to let others determine their self worth. A man whose boss is always pushing him to do more, despite his record sales figures, may see himself as a failure at work.

In addition to the issues I've elaborated on above, adults with ADHD often have problems noticing social cues. If one is not attending to the nuances of facial expressions, voice tone, and body language, he is likely to miss the meaning of his spouse's words. This can lead the partner of a person with ADD to feel her spouse may not care about what she is saying.

Given all the difficulties, is a person with ADD, therefore doomed in his relationships? I do not believe this to be the case at all. An adult with ADD will, however, have to work harder at her relationships than her non-ADD peers. Relatives, friends, and significant others will need to be patient, flexible and understanding. The following strategies will help adults with ADD cope with important interpersonal relationships:

Be self-accepting. Your brain is wired differently. That does not mean you are inadequate. It means you will need to learn and practice techniques that will allow you to function up to your capacity. You and your physician may decide that medication is advisable.

Have realistic expectations of yourself. Figure out what you can realistically do. Begin by leaving extra time for tasks. You can also time yourself on your daily responsibilities to get an actual picture of how long things really take.

Give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. Allow yourself recognition even for the small steps you take. If partners, friends, and parents, comment on the positive steps that the adult with ADHD makes, it is likely to increase her efforts.

Understand your own limitations and plan for them. Determine what your most alert time is and have important interpersonal conversations then. Take breaks as needed to help compensate for your distractibility and to prevent getting overloaded, but agree to a follow-up discussion time.

Anticipate your needs in advance and make plans to deal with them. If, for example, you know a four hour Sunday dinner at your in-laws will leave you antsy, irritable, and impulsive, let your spouse know in advance that you will need to take a walk midway through the evening.

If you tend to forget appointments or responsibilities you've agreed to, or are constantly running late, use datebooks, a family calendar, Post-it notes, or other reminders.

Allow for burn-out time. Learn to recognize what activities leave you feeling spent and schedule time to recharge your batteries.

When making agreements with your significant other about chores, obligations, or even social events, plan a follow-up meeting. Decide in advance how to deal with it if the adult with ADD forgets to do what he agreed to. What is the best way for his partner to notify him? How can the partner be reminded to break her unhelpful patterns? If each member of the couple lets the other know what would feel like a kind and helpful reminder, success is more likely.

Significant others need to strike a balance. Recognize the limitations of your partner, but don't overcompensate for them as that may leave you feeling resentful. Rather than just doing the job for the forgetful adult with ADD, try job swapping so each person is taking on tasks that are more in line with their liking and abilities. Parents of ADD adults need to give their adult children room to try it their way and flounder if necessary. The adult can only learn to do it himself if parents don't take over for him.

Be honest with yourself and others as to commitments. Think through whether you have the time, energy, and desire to do what's being asked of you. If you feel "on the spot" and need time to determine this, tell your significant other you need to think about it and you'll get back to her about it. Admit when you've messed up. Others are more forgiving if you are not defensive about your mistakes. Make a plan to improve your performance and tell your partner how you will attempt to avoid that particular problem again.

Set limits for yourself. This ties back to accepting yourself and ADD's effect on you and to being honest with important people in your life. Say, "No" when it's appropriate. Recognize you can't do it all and don't even try. Kindly let others know when you feel overloaded or need space to recharge your battery.

Set up your environment to match your abilities and limitations. If, for example, you hate doing yardwork and can't afford to hire someone to do it, get a low maintenance yard. If sitting still for hours is difficult for you, pass on the invitation to see a three hour movie with a friend. If you concentrate best in a quiet setting with no distractions, create that area to use for bill paying or paperwork.

Do things your way if it works for you and doesn't hurt anyone. Your way may seem strange to others, but it's important to honor your uniqueness and creativity.

It is important for the spouse or partner of an adult with ADHD to understand the myriad of emotional issues that ADD adds to significant relationships. When a partner can understand these issues and accept them, the relationship has the best chance of success. Furthermore, the partner needs to recognize that an adult with an attention deficit cannot choose to turn her symptoms on or off.

The adult with ADHD can improve his relationships by getting appropriate treatment both to deal with the effects ADD has had on his life and to develop strategies for coping with current issues. Appropriate treatment should include working with a professional who has experience with adult ADD. Educating oneself about attention deficit disorder through reading and attending workshops is an important step. Medication is another component to consider. Couples counseling, group therapy, or behaviorally oriented individual therapy may also be be indicated, depending on each adult's needs.

Myths About ADHD
Contributed by: M.A.A.A.N. Members (Michigan Adolescent and Adult ADD Network for Professionals (Posted on 2000-09-02)

MYTHS ABOUT ADD/ADHD
by
Becky Booth, Wilma Fellman, LPC, Judy Greenbaum, Ph.D., Terry Matlen, ACSW, Geraldine Markel, Ph.D., Howard Morris, Arthur L. Robin, Ph.D., Angela Tzelepis, Ph.D.

The following myths - and factual responses - have been collected from rebuttals to recent media articles about ADD/ADHD. The rebuttals were written by MAAAN (Metro Area Adult ADHD Network, based in the Detroit area).

Myth #1: ADHD is a "phantom disorder".
FACT: The existence of a neurobiological disorder is not an issue to be decided by the media through public debate, but rather as a matter of scientific research. Scientific studies spanning 95 years summarized in the professional writings of Dr. Russell Barkley, Dr. Sam Goldstein, and others have consistently identified a group of individuals who have trouble with concentration, impulse control, and in some cases, hyperactivity. Although the name given to this group of individuals, our understanding of them, and the estimated prevalence of this group has changed a number of times over the past six decades, the symptoms have consistently been found to cluster together. Currently called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, this syndrome has been recognized as a disability by the courts, the United States Department of Education, the Office for Civil Rights, the United States Congress, the National Institutes of Health, and all major professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, and educational associations.

Myth #2: Ritalin is like cocaine, and the failure to give youngsters drug holidays from Ritalin causes them to develop psychosis.
FACT: Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a medically prescribed stimulant medication that is chemically different from cocaine. The therapeutic use of methylphenidate does NOT CAUSE addiction or dependence, and does not lead to psychosis. Some children have such severe ADD symptoms that it can be dangerous for them to have a medication holiday, for example a child who is so hyper and impulsive he'll run into traffic withoug stopping to look first. Hallucinations are an extremely rare side-effect of methylphenidate, and their occurrence has nothing to do with the presence or absence of medication holidays. Individuals with ADHD who are properly treated with stimulant medication such as Ritalin have a lower risk of developing problems with alcohol and other drugs than the general population. More importantly, fifty years of research has repeatedly shown that children, adolescents, and adults with ADHD safely benefit from treatment with methylphenidate.

Myth #3: No study has ever demonstrated that taking stimulant medications can cause any lasting behavioral or educational benefit to ADHD children.
FACT: Research has repeatedly shown that children, adolescents, and adults with ADHD benefit from therapeutic treatment with stimulant medications, which has been used safely and studied for more than 50 years. For example, The New York Times reviewed a recent study from Sweden showing positive long- term effects of stimulant medication therapy on children with ADHD. Readers interested in more studies on the effectiveness of medication with ADHD should consult the professional writings of Dr. Russell Barkley, Drs. Gabrielle Weiss and Lily Hechtman, and Dr. Joseph Biederman.

Myth #4: ADHD kids are learning to make excuses, rather than take responsibility for their actions.
FACT: Therapists, educators, and physicians routinely teach children that ADHD is a challenge, not an excuse. Medication corrects their underlying chemical imbalance, giving them a fair chance of facing the challenges of growing up to become productive citizens. Accommodations for the disabled, as mandated by federal and state laws, are not ways of excusing them from meeting society's responsibilities, but rather make it possible for them to compete on a leveled playing field.

Myth #5: ADHD is basically due to bad parenting and lack of discipline, and all that ADHD children really need is old-fashioned discipline, not any of these phony therapies.
FACT: There are still some parent-bashers around who believe the century-old anachronism that child misbehavior is always a moral problem of the "bad child." Under this model, the treatment has been to "beat the Devil out of the child." Fortunately, most of us are more enlightened today. A body of family interaction research conducted by Dr. Russell Barkley and others has unequivocally demonstrated that simply providing more discipline without any other interventions worsens rather than improves the behavior of children with ADHD. One can't make a paraplegic walk by applying discipline. Similarly, one can't make a child with a biologically-based lack of self-control act better by simply applying discipline alone.

Myth #6: Ritalin is unsafe, causing serious weight loss, mood swings, Tourette's syndrome, and sudden, unexplained deaths.
FACT: Research has repeatedly shown that children, adolescents, and adults with ADHD benefit from treatment with Ritalin (also known as methylphenidate), which has been safely used for approximately 50 years. There are NO published cases of deaths from overdoses of Ritalin; if you take too much Ritalin, you will feel terrible and act strange for a few hours, but you will not die. This cannot be said about many other medications. The unexplained deaths cited in some articles are from a combination of Ritalin and other drugs, not from Ritalin alone. Further investigation of those cases has revealed that most of the children had unusual medical problems which contributed to their deaths. It is true that many children experience appetite loss, and some moodiness or "rebound effect" when Ritalin wears off. A very small number of children may show some temporary tics, but these do not become permanent. Ritalin does not permanently alter growth, and usually does not result in weight loss. Ritalin does not cause Tourette's syndrome, rather many youngsters with Tourette's also have ADHD. In some cases, Ritalin even leads to an improvement of the of tics in children who have ADHD and Tourette's.

Myth #7: Teachers around the country routinely push pills on any students who are even a little inattentive or overactive.
FACT: Teachers are well-meaning individuals who have the best interests of their students in mind. When they see students who are struggling to pay attention and concentrate, it is their responsibility to bring this to parents' attention, so parents can take appropriate action. The majority of teachers do not simply push pills- they provide information so that parents can seek out appropriate diagnostic help. We do agree with the position that teachers should not diagnose ADHD. However, being on the front lines with children, they collect information, raise the suspicion of ADHD, and bring the information to the attention of parents, who then need to have a full evaluation conducted outside the school. The symptoms of ADHD must be present in school and at home before a diagnosis is made; teachers do not have access to sufficient information about the child's functioning to make a diagnosis of ADHD or for that matter to make any kind of medical diagnosis.

Myth #8: Efforts by teachers to help children who have attentional problems can make more of a difference than medications such as Ritalin.
FACT: It would be nice if this were true, but recent scientific evidence from the multi-modal treatment trials sponsored by the National Institute of Mental Health suggests it is a myth. In these studies, stimulant medication alone was compared to stimulant medication plus a multi-modal psychological and educational treatment, as treatments for children with ADHD. The scientists found that the multi-modal treatment plus the medication was not much better than the medication alone. Teachers and therapists need to continue to do everything they can to help individuals with ADHD, but we need to realize that if we don't also alter the biological factors that affect ADHD, we won't see much change.

Myth #9: CH.A.D.D. is supported by drug companies, and along with many professionals, are simply in this field to make a quick buck on ADHD.
FACT: Thousands of parents and professionals volunteer countless hours daily to over 600 chapters of CH.A.D.D. around the U.S. and Canada on behalf of individuals with ADHD. CH.A.D.D. is very open about disclosing any contributions from drug companies. These contributions only support the organization's national conference, which consists of a series of educational presentations, 95% of which are on topics other than medications. None of the local chapters receive any of this money. It is a disgrace to impugn the honesty and efforts of all of these dedicated volunteers. CH.A.D.D. supports all known effective treatments for ADHD, including medication, and takes positions against unproven and costly remedies.

Myth #10: It is not possible to accurately diagnose ADD or ADHD in children or adults.
FACT: Although scientists have not yet developed a single medical test for diagnosing ADHD, clear-cut clinical diagnostic criteria have been developed, researched, and refined over several decades. The current generally accepted diagnostic criteria for ADHD are listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) published by the American Psychiatric Association (1995). Using these criteria and multiple methods to collect comprehensive information from multiple informants, ADHD can be reliably diagnosed in children and adults.

Myth #11: Children outgrow ADD or ADHD.
FACT: ADHD is not found just in children. We have learned from a number of excellent follow-up studies conducted over the past few decades that ADHD often lasts a lifetime. Over 70% of children diagnosed as having ADHD will continue to manifest the full clinical syndrome in adolescence, and 15-50% will continue to manifest the full clinical syndrome in adulthood. If untreated, individuals with ADHD may develop a variety of secondary problems as they move through life, including depression, anxiety, substance abuse, academic failure, vocational problems, marital discord, and emotional distress. If properly treated, most individuals with ADHD live productive lives and cope reasonably well with their symptoms.

Myth #12: Methylphenidate prescriptions in the U.S. have increased 600%.
FACT: The production quotas for methylphenidate increased 6-fold; however that DEA production quota is a gross estimate based on a number of factors, including FDA estimates of need, drug inventories at hand, EXPORTS, and industry sales expectations. One cannot conclude that a 6-fold increase in production quotas translates to a 6-fold increase in the use of methylphenidate among U.S. children any more than one should conclude that Americans eat 6 times more bread because U.S. wheat production increased 6-fold even though much of the grain is stored for future use and export to countries that have no wheat production. Further, of the approximately 3.5 million children who meet the criteria for ADHD, only about 50% of them are diagnosed and have stimulant medication included in their treatment plan. The estimated number of children taking methylphenidate for ADD suggested in some media stories fails to note that methylphenidate is also prescribed for adults who have ADHD, people with narcolepsy, and geriatric patients who receive considerable benefit from it for certain conditions associated with old age such as memory functioning. (see Pediatrics, December 1996, Vol. 98, No. 6)

Fact sheet:The Disorder Named AD/HD

Occasionally, we may all have difficulty sitting still, paying attention or controlling impulsive behavior. For some people, the problems are so pervasive and persistent that they interfere with their lives, including home, academic, social and work settings.

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is characterized by developmentally inappropriate levels of inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. AD/HD is a neurobiological disorder that affects 3 to 7 percent of school-age children.1,2,3,4 Until relatively recently, it was believed that children outgrew AD/HD in adolescence as hyperactivity often diminishes during the teen years. However, it is now known that AD/HD nearly always persists from childhood through adolescence and that many symptoms continue into adulthood. In fact, current research reflects rates of roughly 2 to 4 percent among adults.5

Although individuals with this disorder can be very successful in life, without identification and proper treatment, AD/HD may have serious consequences, including school failure, family stress and disruption, depression, problems with relationships, substance abuse, delinquency, risk for accidental injuries and job failure. Early identification and treatment are extremely important.

Medical science first documented children exhibiting inattentiveness, impulsivity and hyperactivity in 1902. Since that time, the disorder has been given numerous names, including minimal brain dysfunction, hyperkinetic reaction of childhood and attention-deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity. With the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, fourth edition (DSM-IV) classification system, the disorder has been renamed attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or AD/HD. The current name reflects the importance of the inattention characteristics of the disorder as well as the other characteristics of the disorder, such as hyperactivity and impulsivity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Symptoms

Typically, AD/HD symptoms arise in early childhood, unless associated with some type of brain injury later in life. Some symptoms persist into adulthood and may pose life-long challenges. Although the official diagnostic criteria state that the onset of symptoms must occur before age seven, leading researchers in the field of AD/HD argue that criterion should be broadened to include onset anytime during childhood6. The symptom-related criteria for the three primary subtypes are adapted from DSM-IV and summarized as follows:

AD/HD predominantly inattentive type: (AD/HD-I)

· Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes.

· Has difficulty sustaining attention.

· Does not appear to listen.

· Struggles to follow through on instructions.

· Has difficulty with organization.

· Avoids or dislikes tasks requiring sustained mental effort.

· Loses things.

· Is easily distracted.

· Is forgetful in daily activities.

AD/HD predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type: (AD/HD-HI)

· Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in chair.

· Has difficulty remaining seated.

· Runs about or climbs excessively.

· Difficulty engaging in activities quietly.

· Acts as if driven by a motor.

· Talks excessively.

· Blurts out answers before questions have been completed.

· Difficulty waiting or taking turns.

· Interrupts or intrudes upon others.

AD/HD combined type: (AD/HD-C)

· Individual meets both sets of inattention and hyperactive/impulsive criteria.

Youngsters with AD/HD often experience delays in independent functioning and may therefore behave in ways more like younger children.6 In addition, AD/HD frequently co-occurs with other conditions, such as depression, anxiety or learning disabilities. For example, in 1999, NIMH research indicated that two- thirds of children with AD/HD have a least one other co-existing condition.7 When co-existing conditions are present, academic and behavioral problems, as well as emotional issues, may be more complex.

Teens with AD/HD present a special challenge. During these years, academic and organizational demands increase. In addition, these impulsive youngsters are facing typical adolescent issues: discovering their identity, establishing independence, dealing with peer pressure, exposure to illegal drugs, emerging sexuality, and the challenges of teen driving.

Recently, deficits in executive function have emerged as key factors impacting academic and career success8. Simply stated, executive function refers to the “variety of functions within the brain that activate, organize, integrate and manage other functions.”9 This permits individuals to appreciate the longer-term consequences of their actions and guide their behavior across time more effectively.10 Critical concerns include deficits in working memory and the ability to plan for the future, as well as maintaining and shifting strategies in the service of long-term goals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Diagnosis

Determining if a child has AD/HD is a multifaceted process. Many biological and psychological problems can contribute to symptoms similar to those exhibited by children with AD/HD. For example, anxiety, depression and certain types of learning disabilities may cause similar symptoms. In some cases, these other conditions may actually be the primary diagnosis; in others, these conditions may co-exist with AD/HD.

There is no single test to diagnose AD/HD. Therefore, a comprehensive evaluation is necessary to establish a diagnosis, rule out other causes and determine the presence or absence of co-existing conditions. Such an evaluation requires time and effort and should include a careful history and a clinical assessment of the individual’s academic, social, and emotional functioning and developmental level. A careful history should be taken from the parents and teachers, as well as the child, when appropriate. Checklists for rating AD/HD symptoms and ruling out other disabilities are often used by clinicians; these age-normed instruments help to ensure that the symptoms are extreme for the child’s developmental level.

There are several types of professionals who can diagnose AD/HD, including school psychologists, clinical psychologists, clinical social workers, nurse practitioners, neurologists, psychiatrists and pediatricians. Regardless of who does the evaluation, the use of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV diagnostic criteria for AD/HD is necessary. A medical exam by a physician is important and should include a thorough physical examination, including assessment of hearing and vision, to rule out other medical problems that may be causing symptoms similar to AD/HD. In rare cases, persons with AD/HD also may have a thyroid dysfunction. Only medical doctors can prescribe medication if it is needed. Diagnosing AD/HD in an adult requires an evaluation of the history of childhood problems in behavior and academic domains, as well as examination of current symptoms and copying strategies. For more information, read the information and resource sheet on “The Diagnosis of AD/HD in Adults.”

The Causes

Multiple studies have been conducted to discover the cause of the disorder. Research clearly indicates that AD/HD tends to run in families and that the patterns of transmission are to a large extent genetic.11,12 More than 20 genetic studies, in fact, have shown evidence that AD/HD is strongly inherited. Yet AD/HD is a complex disorder, which is undoubtedly the result of multiple interacting genes. Other causal factors (such as low birthweight, prenatal maternal smoking, and additional prenatal problems) may contribute to other cases of AD/HD.13-16 Problems in parenting or parenting styles may make AD/HD better or worse, but these do not cause the disorder. AD/HD is clearly a brain-based disorder. Currently research is underway to better define the areas and pathways that are involved.

Prognosis and Long-term Outcomes

Children with AD/HD are at risk for potentially serious problems in adolescence: academic underachievement and school failure, problems in social relations, risk for antisocial behavior patterns, teen pregnancy, and adverse driving consequences.17 As noted above, AD/HD persists from childhood to adolescence in the vast majority of cases, although the symptom area of motor activity tends to diminish with time. Furthermore, up to two-thirds of children with AD/HD continue to experience significant symptoms in adulthood. Yet many adults with AD/HD learn coping strategies and compensate quite well. 18,19 A key to good outcome is early identification and treatment.

Multimodal Treatment

AD/HD in children often requires a comprehensive approach to treatment called “multimodal” and includes:

Parent and child education about diagnosis and treatment
Specific behavior management techniques
Medication
Appropriate school programming and supports
Treatment should be tailored to the unique needs of each child and family. Research from the landmark NIMH Multimodal Treatment Study of AD/HD is very encouraging.20 Children who received carefully monitored medication, alone or in combination with behavioral treatment, showed significant improvement in their behavior at home and school plus better relationships with their classmates and family than did children receiving lower quality care.

Psychostimulants are the most widely used class of medication for the management of AD/HD related symptoms. Approximately 70 to 80 percent of children with AD/HD respond positively to psychostimulant medications.21 Significant academic improvement is shown by students who take these medications: increases in attention and concentration, compliance and effort on tasks, as well as amount and accuracy of schoolwork, plus decreased activity levels, impulsivity, negative behaviors in social interactions and physical and verbal hostility.22 A new, nonstimulant medication—atomoxetine--appears to have similar effects as the stimulants.

Other medications that may decrease impulsivity, hyperactivity and aggression include some antidepressants and antihypertensives. However, each family must weigh the pros and cons of taking medication (see the CHADD fact sheet, “Evidence-based Medication Management for Children and Adolescents with AD/HD).

Behavioral interventions are also a major component of treatment for children who have AD/HD. Important strategies include being consistent and using positive reinforcement, and teaching problem-solving, communication, and self-advocacy skills. Children, especially teenagers, should be actively involved as respected members of the school planning and treatment teams (see the CHADD fact sheet, “Evidence-based Psychosocial Treatment for Children and Adolescents with AD/HD).

School success may require a variety of classroom accommodations and behavioral interventions. Most children with AD/HD can be taught in the regular classroom with minor adjustments to the environment. Some children may require special education services if an educational need is indicated. These services may be provided within the regular education classroom or may require a special placement outside of the regular classroom that meets the child’s unique learning needs (see the CHADD fact sheet on educational rights).

Adults with AD/HD may benefit from learning to structure their environment. In addition, medications effective for childhood AD/HD are also helpful for adults who have AD/HD. While little research has been done on interventions for adults, diagnosis and treatment are still important.

Summary

Although the symptoms of AD/HD—inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity—are present to some extent in most children, when these symptoms are developmentally extreme, pervasive and persistent a diagnosis of AD/HD is warranted. This diagnostic category is associated with significant impairment in family relations, peer interactions, school achievement, and risk for accidental injury, which are domains of crucial importance for healthy and successful development. Because AD/HD can become a lifelong disorder, careful diagnosis and treatment are essential. CHADD is seeking out solutions that will lead to improved quality of life for children, adolescents and adults.

Good read thanks!

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was around 13 y/o ... 22 now.

As you can see it's 3:55am and I'm up reading about things that interest me and researching random stuff because of my restless mind. (actually it is because I'm sick as can be with a nasty head cold, been sleeping all day off and on... can't wait to be able to fall back asleep again... anyway..)

Been on a few Rx Drugs for ADD in the past. And currently I take Adderall occasionally to help me with course work (full time student, full time work, full time lifting entushiast:)). I take it I'd say 4-5 x's max a month. Without it I would NEVER be able to focus on what I need to accomplish sometimes.

ADD can be a curse or it can be a blessing... all depends on how one views it.

I take it as a love/hate relationship :)

- SGT

EDIT: Soo sick I can't spell anymore.... I HATE BEING SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok, I'm happy... had to vent real quick ;)

sgtslaughter said:
Good read thanks!

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was around 13 y/o ... 22 now.

As you can see it's 3:55am and I'm up reading about things that interest me and researching random stuff because of my restless mind. (actually it is because I'm sick as can be with a nasty head cold, been sleeping all day off and on... can't wait to be able to fall back asleep again... anyway..)

Been on a few Rx Drugs for ADD in the past. And currently I take Adderall occasionally to help me with course work (full time student, full time work, full time lifting entushiast:)). I take it I'd say 4-5 x's max a month. Without it I would NEVER be able to focus on what I need to accomplish sometimes.

ADD can be a curse or it can be a blessing... all depends on how one views it.

I take it as a love/hate relationship :)

- SGT

EDIT: Soo sick I can't spell anymore.... I HATE BEING SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok, I'm happy... had to vent real quick ;)
I read alot on this particular subject.. i have it myelf.. most of it i save on my computer but some i post here..

Only reason i consider it a curse is because i find it difficult to get other ppl to understand or i have trouble intereacting.. i'm definately different.. :)

*MissFit* said:
I read alot on this particular subject.. i have it myelf.. most of it i save on my computer but some i post here..

Only reason i consider it a curse is because i find it difficult to get other ppl to understand or i have trouble intereacting.. i'm definately different.. :)

I know what you mean for sure.

Do you often think about, let's say 5, other things while someone is trying to engage you in conversation? ... yeah, I'd call that trouble interacting :) haha

- SGT

EDIT: Post up some more of the info you have on your pc, I'll check it out later... I'm cleaning up and heading off to work, sick as shit... bastards. lol ;)

ADD/ADHD Symptom Reference
Often, adults have symptoms of both ADD and ADHD. By examining Attention
Deficit Disorder Symptoms, it becomes easier to identify if a
treatment
plan may be necessary.
ADD Symptoms and/or ADHD symptoms:
fidgeting with hands or feet difficulty remaining seated
being easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
difficulty awaiting turn in games or group activities
blurting out answers before questions are completed difficulty in following instructions
difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
shifting from one incomplete task to another
talking excessively
interrupting or intruding on others
not listening to what is being said
forgetting things necessary for tasks or activities
engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences

The ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD are further broken
into three specific categories, each with a specific clinical presentation
that can better describe behavior.

Types of ADD / ADHD
These ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD categories are;
Inattentive Type (classic Attention Deficit Disorder),
Hyperactive/Impulsive Type (classic Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)
and Combined Type (a combination of inattentive and hyperactive).

Inattention ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder:
fails to give close attention to details
makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or activities
becomes easily distracted by irrelevant sights, sounds and extraneous stimuli does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace
has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
avoids tasks, such as schoolwork or homework, which require sustained mental effort
loses things necessary for tasks or activities, like school assignments, pencils, books, or tools
is forgetful in daily activities
rarely follows instructions carefully and completely
People with ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder who are inattentive
display difficulty keeping their mind on any one thing. They may get bored
easily and move from one task to the next, without any completion.
Organizing and completing a task proves troublesome, though they may
give
undivided and effortless attention to activities and topics they enjoy.
People with ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder often find that
focusing deliberate, conscious attention to learning something new is
extremely difficult.

Hyperactivity/Impulsive ADHD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder: (ME)

fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
runs about excessively in situations in where it is inappropriate
has difficulty acting quietly in leisure activities
is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
talks excessively
blurts out answers before hearing the entire question
Interrupts or intrudes on others
A bit more:

ADHD Characteristics

Physically Hyperactive
Impulsive
Intrusive
Rebellious
Irritation
Attracts friends but doesn’t easily bond
Show Off/Egotistical
Is ADD a real disorder?

Most people experience distraction, restlessness, and impulsiveness at one
time or another. Because of this, there is controversy as to whether ADD is
an actual disorder at all. What distinguishes those with ADD from those who
do not have the disorder is the frequency and intensity of these symptoms,
as well as the negative impact on one’s life.
Studies have shown that the physiology of those with ADD differs from that
of those who do not have the disorder . The area of the brain that controls
Impulsiveness is smaller in those affected with ADD. PET scans reveal that
boys with ADD have much higher levels of blood flow in their brains than
their non-ADD peers when tasks involving thinking were being performed, and
lower blood flow the rest of the time. Researchers found that children with
ADD had considerably lower levels of key fatty acids, such as omega-3, in
their bloodstream. This lack of fatty acids has been linked with memory
loss, temper tantrums, sleep disturbances, hyperactivity, and
learning
difficulties. Many more studies are being conducted every day to help diagnose, treat,
and ultimately cure ADD. If a child is unsuccessful in school, they will
not be able to meet the demands of education as

they get older. In turn, they will not be able to achieve the goals that he or she sets for
themselves in the job market. This, coupled with a lack of impulse control,
can lead to very real problems for those suffering from ADD as well as
society as a whole. Adults with ADD often find it difficult to maintain
employment or long-term relationships. They find themselves feeling
deprived of a normal life. ADD is a very real issue, and to begin
treating the disorder, one must first understand
it.

How Can an Attention Deficit Affect My Life?
Attention Deficit Disorder, both with and without hyperactivity, can have a
great affect on an adult’s life. ADD/ADHD is a very misunderstood and
commonly undiagnosed disorder. Those who have suffered from Attention
Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder for the duration of their lives can be
stunted socially and mentally, and this can have a negative effect on one’s
self-esteem. ADD/ADHD is an invisible handicap, and without proper
understanding of the
disorder by the one affected with it, as well as
people around that person, it can leave a person unable to function in the
mainstream of life.
Attention Deficit Disorder often results in social difficulties. The person
with ADD/ADHD is often described as immature, with a lack of
self-awareness, and a high demand for attention. The ADD/ADHD person may be
irritable and easily upset. He or she may have difficulty expressing
feelings or accepting responsibility for behavior. Since people with
ADD/ADHD often have a difficult time verbalizing a problem or complaint,
they may become victims. Poor social skills are often
associated with
ADD/ADHD as a result of low-self esteem and a fear of criticism. A lack of
impulse control and a difficulty considering consequences can put those
with ADD/ADHD in physical danger.
Many of the symptoms of ADD/ADHD make daily activities difficult. Since
those with ADD/ADHD are often
distractible, they may not be able to
complete simple tasks. The lack of short term memory may cause a person
with ADD/ADHD to forget relevant details to function fully at work, home,
or school. Attention to detail is nearly impossible for those with
Attention Deficit, and this often results in careless mistakes on work.
Those with ADD/ADHD may be misjudged by their peers and viewed as careless
or unintelligent. If left untreated, ADD/ADHD can negatively affect many
aspects of adult life.
Frequently Asked Questions about ADD/ADHD

What is Attention Deficit Disorder?
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a syndrome which is usually
characterized by serious and persistent difficulties resulting in:
poor attention span weak impulse control hyperactivity (not in all cases)
ADD also has a subtype which includes hyperactivity (ADHD). It is a
treatable disorder which affects approximately 3 to 6 percent of the
population (70% in relatives of ADD children). Inattentiveness, impulsivity, and often times, hyperactivity, are common
characteristics of the disorder. Boys with ADD tend to outnumber girls by 3
to 1, although ADD in girls is under identified.
The term ADD is usually referring to ADHD. ADD without hyperactivity is
also known as ADD/WO (Without) or Undifferentiated ADD.

What are some common statistics on adult Attention Deficit
Disorder?

The exact statistics on Adult Attention Deficit Disorder are unknown at
this time, though several studies done in recent years estimate that
between 30 percent and 70 percent of children with ADHD continue to exhibit
symptoms of adult Attention Deficit Disorder in the adult
years.

What are the common symptoms of ADD/ADHD?

fidgeting with hands or feet difficulty remaining seated
being easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
difficulty awaiting turn in games or group
activities
blurting out answers before questions are completed
difficulty in following instructions
difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
shifting from one incomplete task to another
talking excessively
interrupting or intruding on
others
not listening to what is being said
forgetting things necessary for tasks or activities
engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering
possible consequences

What Causes ADD/ADHD?
ADD/ADHD Symptom ReferenceOften, adults have symptoms of both ADD and ADHD. By examining AttentionDeficit Disorder Symptoms, it becomes easier to identify if a treatmentplan may be necessary.ADD Symptoms and/or ADHD symptoms:fidgeting with hands or feet difficulty remaining seatedbeing easily distracted by extraneous stimulidifficulty awaiting turn in games or group activitiesblurting out answers before questions are completed difficulty in following instructionsdifficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activitiesshifting from one incomplete task to anothertalking excessivelyinterrupting or intruding on othersnot listening to what is being saidforgetting things necessary for tasks or activitiesengaging in physically dangerous activities without
consideringpossible consequencesThe ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD are further brokeninto three specific categories, each with a specific clinical presentationthat can better describe behavior. Types of ADD / ADHD These ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD categories areInattentive Type (classic Attention Deficit
Disorder),Hyperactive/Impulsive Type (classic Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)and Combined Type (a combination of inattentive and hyperactive). Inattention ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder: fails to give close attention to detailsmakes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activitieshas difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or activitiesbecomes easily distracted by irrelevant sights, sounds and extraneousstimuli does not seem to listen when spoken to directlydoes not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplacehas difficulty organizing tasks and activitiesavoids tasks, such as schoolwork or homework, which requiresustained mental effortloses things necessary for tasks or activities, like schoolassignments, pencils, books, or toolsis forgetful in daily activitiesrarely follows instructions carefully and completelyPeople with ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder who are inattentivedisplay
difficulty keeping their mind on any one thing. They may get boredeasily and move from one task to the next, without any completion.Organizing and completing a task proves troublesome, though they may giveundivided and effortless attention to activities and topics they enjoy.People with ADD symptoms
of Attention Deficit Disorder often find thatfocusing deliberate, conscious attention to learning something new isextremely difficult. Hyperactivity/Impulsive ADHD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder: ADD/ADHD often have a difficult time verbalizing a problem or complaint,they may become victims. Poor social skills are often associated withADD/ADHD as a result of low-self esteem and a fear of criticism. A lack ofimpulse control and a difficulty considering consequences can put
thosewith ADD/ADHD in physical danger.Many of the symptoms of ADD/ADHD make daily activities difficult. Sincethose with ADD/ADHD are often distractible, they may not be able tocomplete simple tasks. The lack of short term memory may cause a personwith ADD/ADHD to forget relevant details to function fully at work, home,or school. Attention to detail is nearly impossible for those withAttention Deficit, and this often results in careless mistakes on work.Those with ADD/ADHD may be misjudged by their peers and viewed as carelessor unintelligent. If left untreated, ADD/ADHD can negatively affect manyaspects of adult life. Frequently Asked Questions about ADD/ADHD What is Attention Deficit Disorder? Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a syndrome which is usuallycharacterized by serious and persistent difficulties resulting
in:poor attention spanweak impulse controlhyperactivity (not in all cases)ADD also has a subtype which includes hyperactivity (ADHD). It is atreatable disorder which affects approximately 3 to 6
percent of thepopulation (70% in relatives of ADD children).Inattentiveness, impulsivity, and often times, hyperactivity, are commoncharacteristics of the disorder. Boys with ADD tend to outnumber girls by 3to 1, although ADD in girls is under identified.The term
ADD is usually referring to ADHD. ADD without hyperactivity isalso known as ADD/WO (Without) or Undifferentiated ADD. What are some common statistics on adult Attention Deficit Disorder? The exact statistics on Adult Attention Deficit Disorder
are unknown atthis time, though several studies done in recent years estimate thatbetween 30 percent and 70 percent of children with ADHD continue to exhibitsymptoms of adult Attention Deficit Disorder in the adult years. What are the common
symptoms of ADD/ADHD? fidgeting with hands or feetdifficulty remaining seatedbeing easily distracted by extraneous stimulidifficulty awaiting turn in games or group activitiesblurting out answers before questions are completeddifficulty in following instructionsdifficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activitiesshifting from one incomplete task to anothertalking excessivelyinterrupting or intruding on
othersnot listening to what is being saidforgetting things necessary for tasks or activitiesengaging in physically dangerous activities without consideringpossible consequences What Causes ADD/ADHD? single cause has not been conclusively proven (idiopathic). Somepossibilities are: Genetic/ HereditaryBrain damage (head trauma) before, after or during
birthBrain damage by toxins (internal: bacterial and viral, external:fetal alcohol syndrome, metal intoxication, e.g. lead)Strongly held belief by some people (including at least one book,Feingold's Cookbook for Hyperactive Children) that food allergies causeADD. This has not been proven
scientifically. Chemical imbalance of key neurotransmittersStructural brain differences Talk Therapy Talk therapy involves the idea of healing through communication. Talking tofriends, family members, or a therapist can help one to find support forthose dealing with ADD/ADHD. Communication comes naturally to humans, andthe simple act of discussing one™s problems can be extremely helpful in
thehealing process.To Learn More About Talk Therapy for ADD / ADHD click here. ADD/ADHD Behavioral Therapy Behavioral therapy helps you weaken the connections between troublesomesituations and your habitual reactions to them. Reactions common toADD/ADHD such as fear, anxiety, depression, anger, and self-damagingbehavior can be controlled. Behavioral therapy teaches you how to calm yourmind and body, so you can feel better, think more clearly, and make betterdecisions

Tips for increasing your self esteem when you have ADD

1.Decide that you want to change and accept that you can. Change begins
the moment you decide. The changes may not come as quickly as you want, but
with patience and persistence, it will come.

2.Keep a diary. Keep a small notebook with you and write down whenever
someone gives you a compliment or something you have done that you are
proud of. Review it at times you are feeling low. This will help to remind
you that there are many things that you do that are worthwhile. Remember
that you should be looking for internal worthiness such as helpfulness,
caring for others, showing compassion, being honest or trustworthy as well
as any accomplishments.

3.Take inventory of your character.
Decide what parts of your character are noteworthy and which could
use some improvement. Work to improve those, but don't lose sight of
those that are already developed.

4.Take inventory of your accomplishments. Look back over your life and
list your accomplishments. Write down all you can think of, large and small
accomplishments. You may be surprised to see that there are many more than
you thought there was.

5.Raise your awareness of your inner voice. Each of us has an inner
voice we listen to. Listen to see whether yours is saying that you are a
failure or a success. Write down something positive to say about yourself.
Each time you hear your inner voice saying you are a failure, read your
statement. Over time you will begin to change what your inner voice says.

6.Many times those with low self-esteem do not believe they are worthy
of nurturing. Begin to take better care of yourself, telling yourself that
you are worthy of being cared for. Even when alone, prepare a nice dinner
for yourself, pamper yourself, make time to do activities that you enjoy.
The more you take care of yourself, the more you will begin to believe you
deserve to be taken care of.

7.Reward yourself for your accomplishments. Take pride in what you do
and reward yourself for a job well done.

8.Learn from your past. Look at what you may have learned from
different setbacks in your life. Begin to use the word âs setback rather
than failure. Find the lesson in each one.

9.Forgive yourself. Healing can begin only with forgiveness. Forgive
all of your past mistakes and begin your life with this moment.

10.Find someone you can vent your problems to. Find a friend that is
willing to listen to you vent without trying to fix your problems.
Sometimes venting can help us to find the answers or solutions ourselves.

11.Ask friends and relatives to tell you one thing they like about you.
Ask them to only give one thing. This can help you to start seeing yourself
positively through other peoples eyes.

12.Talk with a therapist, counselor or coach. Use professionals to help
you follow the steps and to help keep you on track to changing your self

Much has been written about Attention Deficit Disorder
(A.D.D.) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
(A.D.H.D.)* that most people are aware of the general
characteristics of this syndrome. For those of you who
are not current on this subject the following brief
review is given. ADD tends to be of three types. The
inattentive type where distractibility, the inability to
focus, pay attention, remember, follow through with
instructions, absorb study material, and other focusing
problems are troublesome. The second type is the classic
hyperactive/impulsive type where the child constantly
experiences excess energy and therefore fidgets, can't
remain seated, interrupts others, gets bored easily, is
self absorbed, acts wild, disobeys parents, and is
frequently in trouble. The third type, which is most
frequently seen in boys, combines both inattention
traits with hyperactive/impulsive traits. Both types
tend to have wide mood swings, are more sensitive to
their environment, and generally have a low tolerance
for frustration.
Because of these characteristics the ADDer almost always
has trouble in school and at home, or later, as an
adult, maintaining stable relationships and achieving
his potential. The cost to the untreated ADD individual
can be very high. Since the ADDer never accomplishes age
appropriate tasks as well as his peers, he tends to
develop low self esteem. The ADD child is compared,
analyzed, evaluated, interpreted, reviewed and measured
against social norms. The child is too clumsy, slow,
loud, wild, disrespectful, aggressive, inattentive,
unmotivated, unscholastic, misbehaving, ad nauseam. His
measure is never as good as others. Parents, teachers,
relatives, ministers, and the media all scold, and draw
attention to the fact that something is wrong with these
kids.

As the ADDer moves through life it seems to him that his
total environment has drawn the same conclusion. This
child is at the end of the pointed finger. Wherever the
finger moves, it points at him. It is impossible for the
child to protect or insulate himself from the idea that
the lacks what others seem to possess. Loss of
confidence, self-doubt and low self esteem breed rapidly
in this environment. Self comparisons occur very early
in the child's mind. The ADD mind constantly processes
these comparisons, sometimes repressing the thoughts,
other times entertaining them. This is the curse of the
child's mind and it continues for the most part until
the adult becomes aware of his thoughts and begins to
question their validity. Recently a four year old girl
told me she was a "bad girl" because she didn't behave
well in preschool. Another four year old girl had scary
dreams about being with the devil because she was not
good. These children are not exceptions! The most
frequent answer I receive from a young child when he is
shouted at is that he feels mom or dad doesn't like him.

Many parents are concerned with the outward
manifestations of ADD They are worried about their
child's behavior in class and at home, his lack of
motivation, inability to progress academically mood
swings, temper tantrums, obstinate behavior and so
forth. These concerns are important. Learning new
behavior is very important and I consider it a necessary
part of the treatment process. However, what concerns me
deeply is what is going on beneath the surface. My
concern is that the child learn how to trust himself,
feel good about himself, and have confidence in his
worthiness as a person. Eventually the child leaves
school and steps into the adult world equipped with his
skills and attitudes. Getting A's in life is much more
important to me than whether the youngster graduated
with a high grade point average in high school. The
young adult facing life leaves behind the school books
of the past and stands before life equipped with the
attitudes, confidence, values, and ability to accept
responsibility he has learned during his developmental
years.

As ADDer's go through life, if they have not had the
chance to change their distorted thinking about
themselves, their thinking infrastructure needs to be
corrected. It remains distorted until it is confronted
and disputed and more accurate ideas about self worth
replace old thoughts. The older the person is, the more
work it takes to unravel the measuring tape. As children
reach their teens and develop more independence, if they
have not learned that they are okay, they are in danger
of hurting themselves through use of drugs, teenage
pregnancies, skirmishes with the law, and even substance
addiction. Many children that do not receive help
develop other disorders, such as Oppositional Defiant
Disorder. ODD is a disorder where children disregard
those in authority, deliberately annoy people, and
actively defy adult's requests and rules. Others develop
a more serious disorder known as Conduct Disorder. The
behavior of these kids is more serious in that they
repeatedly violate the basic rights of others. Typical
behaviors include aggression to people and animals,
destruction of property, theft, and serious violation of
rules (runaways, school refusal, etc.). Many of these
youngsters, if not treated properly, graduate to adult
criminal behavior.

Recent statistics have shown that up to eighty percent
of all inmates in our prisons are ADD adults! More
parents of ADD children I meet are caring, giving,
loving parents who are deeply concerned about their
children. They care about their child's welfare. They
are also bewildered and don't know how to help their
kids. They become emotionally involved and get upset
with their children. They also push, prod, pull and
admonish their kids in an effort to help them. These
very actions are misunderstood by the child and
perceived by the child as further proof of their
personal inadequacy. Parents and children view reality
through different visual lenses. They experience and
interpret the same interactions between themselves
differently. One of the saddest facts I encounter with
ADD children is that the parent's effort to give love is
not perceived or experienced by the child as receiving
love. What are parents to do? By the time most parents
have read an article like this they are bewildered, worn
out, and frustrated by their efforts to work with a
"troublesome" child. Some wonder if their kids are bad.
Others believe their situation, in which they have tried
everything, is hopeless. Others shy away from a
diagnosis of ADD because that may mean something is
wrong with them or their kids.

My suggestion is to seek help and gain information where
it is available. Find out if your child may be suffering
from ADD and its complications. A number of good books
are available at the book store. The Internet has a lot
of information offered by C.H.ADD, which is the National
Association of Children and Adults with Attention
Deficit Disorders. Ask in the community for referrals to
professionals who are knowledgeable in this field.
number of psychotherapists, from psychiatrists to social
workers, have special knowledge of ADD Most communities
have local C.H.ADD chapters that can put you in touch
with someone who can help you. If your child is acting
out and having attention and behavior problems, you
should obtain an evaluation to determine whether he had
ADD Not all children with behavior disorders have ADD,
therefore you don't want to try to diagnose your child
after reading a few books or getting a check list from
the Internet. Approximately twenty five percent of the
children I see do not have ADD Their symptoms are caused
by a variety of factors, such as specific learning
disabilities, over anxious disorders, depression, and
the like. A professional who works with ADD can help you
determine if your child's problems result from
Attentions Deficit Disorder.

ADD is not difficult to treat properly, and significant
gains in attitude and behavior are the rule rather that
the exception. Most professionals agree that a
combination of medicine therapy and behavior
modification therapy yields the best results. Remember,
there is more at stake that just resolving conflict and
the particular problems you and your ADD child struggle
with. You can help your child begin to feel better about
himself, learn a sense of responsibility and accountability, and help him develop the ability to
value and esteem himself. *For purposes of simplicity in
this article I refer to both ADD and A.D.H.D. as ADD.

Top Bottom