Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I will risk asking a serious question here...

Cuthbert said:
Under no circumstances is a belt a substitute for a strong core. "Low-intermediate" lifters who might not have a strong core should DEFINITELY not use a belt; they should spend time strengthening their core. Doing compound movements with good form without a belt is a great way to help strengthen their lower back, abs, etc.

Good lifters attack areas where they are weak; they don't rely on their belts when strengthening the core will do most help.
That's mostly part of what I was saying. The rest I disagree with. The belt has a limited place in any lifter's lifting.

Cuthbert said:
Unless you are competing, don't bother with a belt.
True, but then couldn't someone say the same thing about gear or other things?

To each their own. If you want to feel strong, then wear a belt and lift more. If you want to be strong, then don't and work your way up there. Either one is fine.

Not that I'm a fountain of strength either... :)

EnderJE said:
True, but then couldn't someone say the same thing about gear or other things?

To each their own. If you want to feel strong, then wear a belt and lift more. If you want to be strong, then don't and work your way up there. Either one is fine.

Not that I'm a fountain of strength either... :)
I wouldn't really compare the two.

I don't wear belts at all. At current 190lbs my lifts are squats-325 3x3, Deads-375 3x3. Every once in a while my lower back may get sore when I am really pushing it but my core catches up and it goes away.

There are folks in my gym that put on belts from the time they walk in the door until they leave whether they are doing bicep curls or taking a piss. I guess because they see it in the mags or something.

IMO a belt seems like the last thing you should use if your core is weak.

Where are you at in the 5x5 because it may be time to deload?

i look at using gear in the same light as when I see someone talk about their 2 board press or partial rack pull, its just another means of training. If someone says they can squat 350 raw then throw on a belt and squat 400, thats great, so they know what the gear gave them. The same thing can be said if I say I can raw bench 305 but 2 board press 350, in my own mind, i can differentiate between the 2. as long as you can do that too, then its fine to strap on a belt and go for the gold. main thing is to make sure you don't negelect your core training.

go for it, if need be, but by all means don't forget the word "raw".

Cuthbert said:
I wouldn't really compare the two.
Why not? A belt could hide the weakness in the core and allow someone to press more. Gear (with proper diet and nutrition) allows people to press more.

If you're career doesn't depend on you pressing more or being bigger then the next person, then why aren't both considered optional as both are only to support a "hobby".

However, like I said, whatever works for you...

If ya start to wear a belt, you will always have to use it. You wont be able to lift without it.
Much better au natural, no belt.
I,m not special, but DL 350 no belt, no problems.

Top Bottom