Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I will risk asking a serious question here...

pintoca

Is there a "rule of thumb" for deciding when it might be a good idea to get a lifting belt?

I'm by no means a hevy lifter, currently doing 250lbs (5x5) in both squats (full squats) and deadlifts...However, my back is bothering me a bit... I'm sure form is in check, so i was wondering if there any "wives tales" rule.

Something along the line of ... "if you deadlift your BW you should be getting one of those belts, before you don't really need it"... or is it only common sense and I should simply go and buy it?

I'm pretty sure you'd just want one to try to look pretty. You'd probably get a flashy white one with "Princess" written across the back in blue glitter.

A) post this shit in the training forum bro - people on C&C don't train, for the most part

B) personally, it's all about feel for me. At first I only used a belt when DLing heavy (for me), but then started using it all the time and it felt good. Some people will say that by using a belt all the time you are somewhat handicapping yourself, and I somewhat agree, but it's all about what works for you. I think using it for relatively "heavy" sets and up will do just fine.

yeah im with Killah, but IMO if youre in the 225# range with squats or DL's- wear a belt...lower back issues are nothing to brag about...plus it holds my MP3.

I'm roughly between 275 and 285 with 12 years lifting experience and I've pulled 730 raw, squatted 664 raw, and recently did my first OLY squat over 495 on Sunday with 592, raw. No issues yet.

When I do my events, I will wear a belt on my heavy sets. It does help to protect my body so I have fewer pains the next day (belts, knee sleeves, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, etc...).

If you are having pains, I'd look into doing some reverse hypers, good mornings, and making sure that your spinal erectors are strong enough, your spine is in alignment, and that you are not overtraining them too often.

B True

Squat592.jpg

I used to wear a belt all of the time. I found it hampered my squats and form on squats. I nixed the belt and did empty bar squats - 2X15-20 and then good mornings 2X10-15; 1 set at 85 and 1 set at 135. Since doing that for about 2 months, I have no need to wear one. I'm no power lifter, either, but now, wearing one seems weird. I do deads once a week w/o a belt and can lift 455#, atf squats at 335#, no belt.
It's all in how you feel. When I do deads or squats, if I don't feel right, I re-rack or drop it on the floor. Then I wait a bit and try again. If my body still doesn't feel right, I lighten the weight and try again. Some times, I won't do them because it doesn't feel right and I don't want to screw myself up.

Top Bottom