Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to turn my strength into power

the.gladiator1987

Platinum
Ok so getting ready for football, Im understanding that its a lot about power and no size/strength. I have enough size/strength so I want to start turning it into power.

Plyometrics and sprinting will do this but I wanna know how I would lift weights. Obviously I cant lift heavy weight slowly that wont do anything. So what should I do? 75%-85% of my 1RM and do 3-5 explosive reps?

I'm sure ur coach will whip ur ass in shape practicing hits or whatever the hell u guys do.... But post up n tell us all about it I'm curious.. I like power lol

how often do you do olympic lifts like cleans? My cousin's boyfriend helps train the Michigan football team (nothing to be proud of now lol) and he has cleans as the foundation of their program

In under a month you will find it pretty hard to mae a big difference. Without sounding harsh, expect to loose some hard earned muscle here aswell. Sucks, but training for any sport takes a huge amount of energy and dedication towards reaching the specific fitness requirements of your position or role.

Plyometrics as you have already mentioned will help. Plyos can fuck you up if you do not do them properly so dont just go down the track or gym and start jumping around. Get someone who knows there shit to show you.

Short and sharp sprints (can use a weighted sled or harness if you like....that works well). Doing explosive/fast lifts is key so:-

Power cleans
Push Press
High Pulls
Power Shrugs
Squat Jumps
Hang Cleans
Clean and Press
Snatches

Also look up the "bear complex" on you tube. That is wicked for power/conditioning for a sport.

There are also methods such as bench pressing (reps 1-4) followed by clap press ups to failure. Squats (same low reps) followed by bodyweight jump squats....emphesis the power element of the clap press ups and jump squats - explode with each rep.

I used to play semi-pro rugby over here, not sure if you guys really know what rugby is but its alot like american football in terms of fitness training/demands. I have done my fair share of this sort of thing. All the best for the season.

What's your vertical jump at right now? I have recently gotten interested in improving my vertical jump and I think it would help your overall leg power a lot to increase it.

Have no idea what my vertical jump is. Last time i did that test i was about 16!! Yeah, id go along with leg power goes along way there too!

Yea Im sure the coach will have us doing stuff like this, just sucks I cant follow my own program. he said we have a push/pull day for lifting (T and TH) and then plyos on Wednesday and Saturday.

Im also on cycle right now so maybe I will keep some muscle.. dont really care now since I want to play rather than be big

Thanks for all the advice! I will start doing the bench/clap pushups and squat/jump squats right away. Sure Ill have to go down in weight but I will train my body to be explosive.

In under a month you will find it pretty hard to mae a big difference. Without sounding harsh, expect to loose some hard earned muscle here aswell. Sucks, but training for any sport takes a huge amount of energy and dedication towards reaching the specific fitness requirements of your position or role.

Plyometrics as you have already mentioned will help. Plyos can fuck you up if you do not do them properly so dont just go down the track or gym and start jumping around. Get someone who knows there shit to show you.

Short and sharp sprints (can use a weighted sled or harness if you like....that works well). Doing explosive/fast lifts is key so:-

Power cleans
Push Press
High Pulls
Power Shrugs
Squat Jumps
Hang Cleans
Clean and Press
Snatches

Also look up the "bear complex" on you tube. That is wicked for power/conditioning for a sport.

There are also methods such as bench pressing (reps 1-4) followed by clap press ups to failure. Squats (same low reps) followed by bodyweight jump squats....emphesis the power element of the clap press ups and jump squats - explode with each rep.

I used to play semi-pro rugby over here, not sure if you guys really know what rugby is but its alot like american football in terms of fitness training/demands. I have done my fair share of this sort of thing. All the best for the season.

What's your vertical jump at right now? I have recently gotten interested in improving my vertical jump and I think it would help your overall leg power a lot to increase it.

MAYBE 30 inches. Probably not. Last time I tested it it was 27 inches lol, but I was also only squatting around 250. Now Im squatting around 400.

Top Bottom