Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long should each set last for muscle growth?

lunarsea

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone could please answer the question of how many seconds each set should last if your aim is muscle growth?

I've read on different sites that sets should last anywhere from 45 seconds to between 40-70 seconds, and I'm just wondering if there is any scientific evidence to back up these numbers or any other length of time?

I've also read that the optimum amount of reps per set for muscle growth is 6-12, training to failure. Is this correct too?

Thanks very much in advance for your help :)

i have read that performing reps slowly intentionally is sub-optimal. all concentric motions should be performed at max velocity, if you want to do a slow eccentric/negative portion that is beneficial, but the actual "lift" should always be done rapidly. if you can get 12-15+ reps up the weight, to make it more difficult. your reps shouldnt be super fast unless you are an oly lifter

because of the way your muscle fibers are recruited and contract and respond metabolically to this

Well I know that Poliquin says most people in the gym that have any concept of slow/fast twitch muscle fibers are in total denial about their fiber makeup, thinking that they're a lot more fast twitch than they really are. He is one of the originators of the concept of time under tension, and more than anybody he probably popularized the idea of 40-70 seconds for hypertrophy.

Some say that the reason most people in the gym seem to never make any progress is that it's rare to see anybody do sets that last over 30 seconds.

I'm definitely in favor of varying rep speeds and using various tactics such as supersets to extend time under tension for hypertrophy at least part of the time. Whether or not 40-70 seconds of time under tension is a magic bullet or not remains in doubt, but it's pretty clear that the majority of lifters doing the brief heavy sets with long rest periods aren't genetic freaks with an extremely fast twitch makeup.

Top Bottom