Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How far down on dips

Try just you natural range of motion.
You can test it by rasing your arms in the same motion you'd do when you do dips.
Dont go past it but do go all the way to it.
If you keep doing it like that you natural range of motion will increase with time.
Also when doing dips bend your knees and keep them in front of you not behind. This will allow for increased range and better healthier form. Read about Vince Gironda dips.
Best stuff

Good info joh.
Many guys blow out shoulders after a chest day, then doing dips out of their range of motion.
<-- like this guy

Guess I've been doing them wrong then. I dip down past the point where my elbow is higher than shoulder, with legs crossed behind. Am I trying to keep the elbos joint 90 degrees inline with the shoulder?

i like to go to 90 degrees and no further...i have had too many shoulder injuries going too deep on weighted dips.
btw i cross my legs behind me...it helps to steady the plates on the dips belt.

90 degrees unless you want surgery.

RD

I have to disagree with this. Although this is the convention used by many i think this will actually lead to injury as your strength in that particular ROM increases, creating an imbalance of strength along your natural ROM.

I suggest going as far down as your body is comfortable with even if that means using the assisted dip machine to facilitate the deeper portion of the movement. Work up your resistance SLOWLY from this point - if you can't handle the resistance at one portion of your ROM don't do it at any part of your ROM. Wait until your body catches up.

It is also hugely important for the safety of your shoulder to strengthen the stabilizer muscles of this movement (post delt and traps particularly) AND warm them up before doing dips and keeping them warm throughout your dip routine.

Using this method I've been able to increase my dips to bodyweight + 130-150lbs extra weight (working sets) while going almost knuckles-in-armpit deep without even a hint of pain or discomfort in my shoulders.

sometimes i go deep, sometimes i don't. sometimes i go for volume reps, sometimes i just squeeze out some tough ones.. it varies

the pumps i get are amazing with dips after a crazy chest workout. i recommend everyone do dips and use their body weight to their advantage

Top Bottom