Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hmb

Int J Sports Med 1999 Nov;20(8):503-9

Effects of calcium beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation during resistance-training on markers of catabolism, body composition and strength.

Kreider RB, Ferreira M, Wilson M, Almada AL.

Department of Human Movement Sciences & Education, The University of Memphis, TN 38152, USA. [email protected]

Calcium beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation has been reported to reduce muscle catabolism and promote gains in fat-free mass and strength in subjects initiating training. However, whether HMB supplementation promotes these adaptations in trained athletes is less clear. This study examined the effects of HMB (as the calcium salt) supplementation during resistance training (6.9+/-0.7 hr x wk(-1)) on markers of catabolism, body composition and strength in experienced resistance-trained males. In a double-blind and randomized manner, 40 experienced resistance-trained athletes were matched and assigned to supplement their diet for 28 d with a fortified carbohydrate/protein powder containing either 0, 3 or 6 g x d(-1) of calcium HMB. Fasting venous blood and urine samples, dual energy X-ray absorptiometer-determined body composition, and isotonic bench press and leg press one repetition maximums (1 RM) were determined prior to and following 28 d of supplementation. HMB supplementation resulted in significant increases in serum and urinary HMB concentrations. However, no statistically significant differences were observed in general markers of whole body anabolic/catabolic status, muscle and liver enzyme efflux, fat/bone-free mass, fat mass, percent body fat, or 1 RM strength. Results indicate that 28 d of HMB supplementation (3 to 6 g x d(-1)) during resistance-training does not reduce catabolism or affect training-induced changes in body composition and strength in experienced resistance-trained males.

Did not do shit for me although my diet was far from what it should have been... From what I have read, only a few studies show it to work BUT you have to take a LOT!!! Like over 3 grams per day.... Its EXPENSIVE!! Not worth it to me.. Just my .02

vtec96 said:
Did not do shit for me although my diet was far from what it should have been... From what I have read, only a few studies show it to work BUT you have to take a LOT!!! Like over 3 grams per day.... Its EXPENSIVE!! Not worth it to me.. Just my .02

Like stated, it to expensive and you need to take a lot. I don't understand how farmers can aford to supplement this expensive shit to livestock. Here's the research that been done on HMB.

There is some evidence that HMB reduces muscle catabolism and may protect against muscle damage. For example, creatine kinase, an indicator of muscle damage, is reduced following exercise is subjects consuming HMB. This may indicate a reduced level of muscle damage and could lead to improved muscle function. Research in animals (cattle, pigs and poultry) and humans suggests that HMB can increase muscle mass and strength. Leucine is also a common additive to chicken feed (which is normally low in this amino acid) for the purpose of improving the muscle tissue and providing bigger chicken breasts for dinner

HMB has also been tested by NASA as a dietary approach to preventing the muscle wasting associated with prolonged spaceflight. Supplementation with 1.5-3.0 grams of HMB daily during weight training for 3 weeks increased muscle mass and strength and decreased the rise in exercise induced muscle damage. In one study, untrained subjects lifted weights for 4 weeks with or without 1.5 to 3 grams of HMB per day. The HMB supplements resulted in significant improvements in muscle mass and strength as well as significant decreases in muscle breakdown compared with placebo subjects. Even in trained athletes, HMB supplements of about 3 grams per day resulted in a significant increase in muscle mass and strength as well as a decrease in body fat. One study looked at the effects of HMB supplements (as the calcium salt) on muscle breakdown (catabolism), strength and body composition during a resistance training program (7 hours per week for 4 weeks). Subjects were 40 experienced weight lifters who received either 3 or 6 grams per day of calcium HMB (or a placebo). Results showed that HMB supplementation resulted in a significant increase in blood levels of HMB, but no significant difference in muscle anabolic/catabolic status, lean body or fat mass, or overall muscle strength. Another study looked at HMB supplements (versus placebo) in 39 men and 36 women (aged 20-40 years). Subjects received 3 grams of HMB per day while training 3 times per week for 4 weeks. In the HMB group, blood levels of creatine phosphokinase (an indicator of muscle damage) were reduced compared to the placebo group, and both upper body strength and fat-free mass were increased. Overall, the study showed that a short-term period of HMB supplementation can increase upper body strength and minimize muscle damage when combined with an exercise program in both men and women.

I'm very interested in this post. I haven't taking HMB (yet!). So hopefully someone that has a great diet and supp routine has added HMB to the mix.

:mix:

THANKS bros.....I haven't heard a good report about HMB yet.. I guess it isn't worth crap afterall..anyone had positive results off of the recommended doses?

Top Bottom