Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HIIT vs. moderate cardio, which is better

eck

I'm curious what the opinions are on this. Most of the studies and articles I have found online say that HIIT is more benefitial for bodyfat lost than moderate cardio but I can't but feel that it's just not enough for me. The personal trainer I have at the gym(and her colleagues) don't seem to really believe int he 20 minute HIIT solution and advocate 30-40 minutes minimum of moderate interval cardio.

Thoughts?

Both are interesting (though I think HIIT is more beneficial)

BTW do what you like or you won't do it for a long time :)

More people have better results with HIIT, but you have to find something that you will stick with that works for you. Try HIIT for at least 4-5 weeks to give it a fair chance and see how you like it.

If you do HIIT do you have to do it for only twenty minutes or can it be extended to thirty minutes?

SuckMyClit said:
If you do HIIT do you have to do it for only twenty minutes or can it be extended to thirty minutes?

If you can do it for 30 minutes, it isn't HIIT. You need to increase the intensity.

Anyway, nice handle. Ok, I admit it, I just read this thread because I saw the last person posting goes by the name SuckMyClit....

SuckMyClit said:

Everything I have read on HIIT says to do it no longer than 20 minutes 3 times a week.

Ic Ic. Thanks Body. I love my handle too. Now do as it says!

BodyByFinaplix said:

If you can do it for 30 minutes, it isn't HIIT. You need to increase the intensity.

Anyway, nice handle. Ok, I admit it, I just read this thread because I saw the last person posting goes by the name SuckMyClit....

I know there are various ways to do HIIT as far as what the intensity of intervals are and the frequency but do all ways give you the same benefits?

I follow the BFL way of doing HIIT. Is there something else that would work better?

For those who are not familiar with it, it goes something like this:

2 minutes level 5
1 min. levl 6
1 min. levl 7
1 min. levl 8
1 min. levl 9

I repeat this 4 times hitting a "10" at the very end followed by a warm down at level 5.

I use a heartrate monitor to make sure my intensity is changing and it will usually vary between 70-92% of my max heartrate.

On a true HIIT program, you can not keep going up. To truly do a HIIT like routine, you have to challenge your system so that you'll actually need a type of active rest when you are done w/ that segment. An example would be.

2 min warm up
1 min up
1 min down

Repeat for cycle 6-8 times then cool down.

I generally go 10-12 mph on the up part and go down to about 6 on my slower phase.

Yup I do both for variety.

Yesterday I did the BFL type workout for 10 min (just 2 "cycles"), then for the last 10 min I did one min. ON, and one min OFF (not off just low). Then cooled down for 5 min. or so.

Tomorrow I'll do 10 min of one min ON/one min. OFF. two days later I'll do a whole 20 min. BFL workout.

I don't know which works better (probabbly the same), but they are both based on the same principle and I feel about as whipped from both.

I use the eliptical trainer.

I have been pushing my cardio to 25 min. with 4 more min of cool down (basically one extra BFL "cycle" or another 5 min. on/off). I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I'm still not smelling ammonia when I'm done so I'm thinking it's O.K. I'd like to hear opinions though.

Top Bottom