Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help Me Understand Wrestling Please!

P

PolfaJelfa

I am realy getting into this... Before i was completely turned off at the fact that its staged and fake...but now i see that is not the point...its like a big continuous movie.....all the theatrics...etc...and the guys take real punishment too...blood etc..injuries many times to make it look good. I respect that. After watching some pathetic boxing matches lately i am totaly into WWE. I know my guys...pretty much the beefs they have with other people....the whole ECW..WWE thing....Game vs batista.........Cain..vs the guy who took his wife..lmfao..Its all good.

But now i need to understand the Smackdown thing, Raw, etc..what are the diferences..who is in control ( at least in pretend over there)...who are th e boses..what are the divisions, rankings how the hell do things work in this world. Also how does the real WWE choose who will win fights etc....and who will loose championships...do they vot eon it be4 hand...does anyone know. Im looking for a detailed posta a few pages long on the complete history...etc...working of wrestling.

Btw..my favorite guys= Kurt angle....psycho...stitsky....and Batista....

A complete history would take more than just a few pages, but I'm sure we can get you pretty close to where you want to be a little at a time...

First off, in reality...the mastermind behind everything is Vince McMahon.
I believe his kids still have some creative control, but I have been out of the loop for quite a while to give a perfect answer on that. Just in case you didn't know, the Game is married to Stephanie McMahon. This combines with the fact that he is a very good worker, helps him stay at the top (staying in the spotlight, challenging for titles, and most importantly winning titles.) There are several writers in the WWE and there are writers for each show.

Everyone typically has to get titles the old fashioned way. They have to earn their shot. This means that they have to be good worker, not just in the ring, but on the mic as well (You have to get the fans to buy your story, and if you can talk, your reign may be short lived.)

Up until June 6th Raw...
Each "Show" had it's own Major Title and Intermediate Title, Raw with the World Heavyweight and the Intercontinential Titles, SD with the WWE and United States Championships. Each has a Tag Team Championship as well. Titles are "awarded" to do one or more of a few things...reward a wrestle for doing good, (and they may lose them for being bad); for shock value with the fans; tag, US, and IC titles are stepping stones to see if a wrestle has what it takes to go to the big time.

Currently both Majors are on Raw. Having both majors on Raw is probably going to kill SD, so I anticipate that we will see something happen to move one (probably the World title) over to SD. Because of a stipulation that was brought up on the 6th, with how the HITC match for the world title is a "protected" match, leads me to believe that one of the two men may be drafted to SD, and that man will probably be the winner of HITC, because he then reports to SD after the PPV. Theory 2: Edge gets drafted and uses his money in the bank contract to get a match (an he wins its, taking it to SD.)

(Note on my theories: I have not been on any of the wrestling boards lately because most of them are engulfed viruses and pop-ups. But if you want to fight through the garbage, you can get some great insider info to really get what is behind the scenes. Ironically you mention Edge stealing Lita from Kane. In reality, Edge stole Lita from Matt Hardy (who was recently released.))

Between Raw and SD, you have 2 GMs Eric Bischoff on Raw and Teddy Long on SD. These individuals have been selected to "Run" each "Company" basically because they can get a rise from the fans and they can work the Mic. (A little history here: Eric was the Man in control of WCW when it took off several years ago and I personally feel that he is responsible for Professional Wrestling being the level of Entertainment it is today. McMahon was able to push his cookie cutter product until Bischoff talked Billionare Ted into backing Monday Nitro to go Head to Head w/ Raw. This led to great storylines and even greater characters. Because Nitro beat Raw in the ratings for a little over 2 years (i believe.) It made a lot happend for these guys. And a lot happened for the fans... Check out more info on the history of the NWO and info on DX. Also check out The Monday Night Wars, it will give a pretty good history of what happened.

Another bit about who stays and goes has a lot to do with their contracts. Keep in mind, these guys and gals don't get health insurance, so they need to have a nest egg and they need to pay for serious injuries. (Every see a full emergency room visit bill or worse a surgery w/ hospital stay and therapy bill?) So there is a balance to take care of the wrestlers but VinnieMac still wants to make money. So the marketing draw (how many shirts you sell) is also important.

The draft lottery with Raw and SD is basically a way to move a bunch of talent from one show to the other without having to write individual storylines. Oh yeah...Even though you won't find too many WWE officials admitting it, SD is the WWEs B-Show. They put some top talent on the program, but it doesn't have the same appeal as RAW. Raw is live, while SD is taped on Tuesdays. If you go to a SD taping, and they fuck something up, well, the guys may come back out and re-record something. So these shake ups are necessary to keep this from being a very distinct difference and to keep the shows from going stale. In the past, contracts would end and you would see guys go from WWF to WCW and WCW to WWF and ECW to WCW, etc. So you could get things really stirred up all year round. Even though SD is becoming a better product, it just isn't the same level as Raw.

Now I know I am skipping a lot, so don't anyone give me shit, because I need to talk care of a few things. I will add more later as we have just scratched the surface...

Thanks so much bro..karma to you...i will be waiting for more..

Very good post..what i was looking for!

Now a few questions...Damn that ECW shit looks real hardcore...do you think they will "run it again" after this weeks let the bodys hi tth efloor match ( which i didnt see yet )No pay per view :)

Who the hell is Johcn cena..how can he be champion.....he keeps showing his belt...what is he champion of? A smaller weight class..?..wasnt he the guy who made it in thru the want to be a wwe star comp .....where there was 5 guys who wanted to "make it pro"

Is there weight divisions?

Man i have to go out to one of these shows when it is in my area.

Im goign to wear a tank top...and start screaming at batista...." i will destroy you....."lol

Thanks for the K bro!

Part 2:

let me start with your questions...

Weight classes...
WWE and WCW have had a history of a "lighter" class of wrestling. WWF's Light Heavyweight Championship was around for a coupl of runs and was eventually combines with the Cruiseweight title that is on SD and originated on WCW. I think the weight limit is 225lbs, but don't hold me to that. This weight class is probably one of the most to watch if you like fast and high flying action. The only downside to watching these matches is that after a while it seems that every match will have the same set of moves, especially when there are more than 2 wrestlers involed in the match. For example, everytime you see a 6 man match, you can bank on a flying plancha out of the ring on to a wrestler on the floor, then one by one, each of the other wrestlers will then take turns flying out on to the wrestlers that are on the floor, just as they get up. (Oddly enuff, every time they get up they group together.)

John Cena...
He is the WWE Champion. To fit his character he has added a little "Bling Bling" to the titles that he wins. He made a US Championship Spinner belt on SD when he held it. And dont let John's size fool you, his move is the F-U (a shot at Brock Lesnar's F-5). It is a firemen's carry that results in the opponent being flipped feet over head off of Cena's shoulders. What's so important about that...He has performed this move on the 500lb Big Show.
John also worked hard to get where he is at. His gimmick is a lot of fun and his rhymes are pretty funny. He has great mic skills and excellent ring skills. He also has a good body that has the attention of straight women and gay men. I know this because my wife and my best friend both say he his hot.
John has also paid his dues and worked his way up through the system. He was an up and comer with the likes of Brock Lesner, Randy Orton, and Dave Batista going waiting for their chance to move up from OVW.

Oh, sorry...OVW is Ohio Valley Wrestling. This is the "minor leagues" for WWE. There used to be two (Heartland Wrestling), but they had to cut ties for financial reasons. But in general, any of the "local" associations (of which there are many) are potential breeding grounds for potential superstars. The current local that is hot shit is NWA-TNA. (For history sake, NWA has a long history itself, as far as its associations and life cycles.) TNA was added (by the Jarretts) to try to draw attention. TNA stands for Total Non-stop Action, but lets face it...any male hormones will take it differently. and the Jarretts wanted the exposure. TNA has also been the competition for WWE, which is a good thing. They are not a major competition, but they are an alternate product that has its gimmicks, but it has breed life into new talent and has given second life to some stars that have parted ways with WWE and WCW. (Double J) Jeff Jarrett, Kevin Nash (Diesel), Scott Hall (Razor Ramon), Sting, Sean Waltman (X-Pac, 6-Pac, Syxx, 1-2-3 Kid, Lighting Kid), Shane Douglas, Jeff Hardy, and countless others to name a few. This is good, because it gives these guys big exposure while they are out of the big show (WWE).

ECW:
ECW was a local association (a branch of NWA at one time) know as Eastern Championship Wrestling. Paul Heyman, (aka Paul E. Dangerously of NWA/WCW fame) was the brains behind this operation. He changed the name to Extreme Championship Wrestling and made it hardcore. The attitude that they took was that if you want to see them fight with a frying pan and an iron, then bring them to the arena and throw them in the ring. ECW had a variety of wrestlers, some were technical submission wrestlers, some were high-flyers, and some were just hard-core madmen. This was an excellent opportunity for these guys. Paul had a deal with WWE for a while and they had some cross promotion, but they didn't see exactly eye to eye. WCW and WWF raided their talent and eventually, there was nothing left. Some of stars of ECW definitely had a following that made them instant superstars in WCW and WWE, for example, Mick Foley, the Dudleys, Rhyno, Tajiri, and Rob Van Dam. Some other big names that did a tour in ECW include Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Steve Austin, and Dean Malenko. ECW's tv time was not very well advertised in my neck of the woods, but, I did catch some of their shows from time to time. And they spent a lot of time promoting their videos and PPVs. They cut their promos in a basement. It was very rough and very raw. These guys gave it their all.

The best thing of all three shows running was that there was wrestling on virtually EVERY day of the week. Monday was RAW and Nirto. Nitro was 3 hours towards the end there and they replayed the show that night, so you could watch the first hour of Nitro, then all of Raw and then the end of Nitro on the replay. (Tuesday was an off day.) Wednesday was WCW Thunder (orignially it was Thursday Thunder) and Thursday was Smackdown!. The ECW ran their show on Friday nights. Saturdays and Sundays saw a couple of "recap shows" from each brand. These shows would have replays from the weeknight programs and some low and mid card matches that were recorded before the weekly shows. Then Sundays were PPVs. If you were a fan of all three and didn't have a black box, you could go broke! I don't recall if ECW had monthly PPVs, but WCW and WWF did. (Thanks to Eric Bischoff.) So there would be one or two Sundays a month that didn't have a PPV. The 90s was a great time to be a wrestling fan.

The one problem with their style of wrestling is that when they made it to the show (either WWE or WCW) they had to relearn how to work, because they had a tendency of hurting the guys that they wrestled. This is the biggest thing that held down RVD and it is probably theonly reason why is was never "awarded" the WWE or World Championship. The extreme was a good gimmick. Ironically, both WCW and WWF had "Hardcore" championships which are now defunct.

As WCW went belly up, ECW was already under. Vinnie Mac got pieces of both organizations. What this did, was helped everyone "connect the dots" with all of the history between the programs. This was really cool, because for the first, the announcers could talk about a wrestlers accomplishments in the opposing organization AND they could use all of their aliases.

Now will ECW make a come back...
It is a possibility. Again, I haven't stayed up with the insiders, but I can definitely see more of ECW in the future. The only question is "how much."

Another thing that is nice to see, is now that the rivarly is gone with WWE, ECW, and WCW, we get a full appreciation for what these wrestlers have done, and when a wrestlers passes away, they get the respect and acknowledgement that they are due.

Another thing that I think will have an impact on ECW, will be the ammount of talent that WWE has and wants to keep, and if they are filling the arenas that they are in now. Can they afford to stretch their talent pool any further. You have to remember that all of these wrestlers are going to be paid out to the same pocket, unlike when the three organizations were all on there own.

I'm going to take another break here. I still have more for ya. But I do want to know what your pro-wrestling exposures have been. When did you start watching (recently) and did you watch it before? If so, when, for how long, and what brand?

The reason for me asking is so that I can try to share some of the better storylines without wasting time in regards to what you have already seen.

:coffee:

I Started watching about 1 yr ago. I guess today is Vengance...."Hellin a Cell" main event...shoudl be awesome......but i dont have PPV:(

starfish1 has a fine understanding.

Add to this is the overriding considerations that:
(1) It is a business
(2) It is only entertainment
(3) The entertainers earn based on sales and they have egos
(4) The stock of the Company is publically traded and its value is MOST important

I have always enjoyed it over the years, and found it to be FUN and fresh.

TheLion2005 said:
starfish1 has a fine understanding.

Add to this is the overriding considerations that:
(1) It is a business
(2) It is only entertainment
(3) The entertainers earn based on sales and they have egos
(4) The stock of the Company is publically traded and its value is MOST important

I have always enjoyed it over the years, and found it to be FUN and fresh.

Excellent points.

With that said...
Mgmt will whore the market and exploit everything that they can to get $$$.

This is why they are creating a new title for SD. Cena and Batista are excellent draws. Keeping them as champions is good for business. This also helps establish Raw as the Majors and SD as being just a step down.

Here's how I see this laying out...

The WORLD Championship is on RAW, but it is framed as THEE biggest title.
The WWE Championship is also on RAW. (Let's face it, WWE is big, but no as big as the world.)
Now the Smackdown Championship will be on SD. This is named for the show, not the company. Because of this I see this as the #3 champion. I see the SD champion as being better than the Intercontinential champion, but not quite good enough to be the WWE champ.
Then the IC is on RAW, followed by the US Champion on SD, and finally the Cruiserweight champion on SD. The women's title is also on RAW, but that is appropriate as the only decent women wrestlers are on RAW.

This recent development of adding a new title is good, if the two titles on RAW are handled properly. The World title should become mobile...in that I mean it should be seen on both shows. When the company originally split into two brands, The WWE champion was not exclusive to one show. And I believe the Women's champion was not exclusive either. This was because after the merger with WCW, The World and WWE titles were merged under the first ever undisputed championship. (In the eyes of long time wrestling fans, this was a true milestone and accomplishment as THEE 2 BIGGEST titles in wrestling were united.) Chris Jericho beat the Rock and Steve Austin in the same night to take both belts and unify them. After that, title reigns seemed like a doorknob...everyone got a turn. The title turned over nearly monthly so that the BIG EGO guys could say that they were the undisputed champion. Then...

During the early stages of the brand split, writers put a twist on things and made the WWE title exclusive to SD. Then they had Bischoff revive the classic World title.

[A quick note here. The WORLD Championship belt has a lot of history itself. Although it is not the original belt, because they added the WWE scratch logo to it, its design is identical to the NWA World Heavyweight Championship Belt. Ric Flair actually OWNED that belt. When WCW came into existance and Ric Flair went with them, that was the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt. And Ric FLair still OWNED it! So what? right? Well, back in the early 90s when Ric Flair left WCW and came to the WWF...well, he was Champion, but more importantly...he OWNED the BELT! So he took the title belt with him and writers got to play the angle where Flair said that his title was the only title in wrestling that mattered. (Eventually, WCW got the title back.) ]

Back to my original thought... So we saw period of time where the WWE and WCW tag titles were merged, the US and IC titles were merged, and the light heavyweight and cruiserweight titles were merged, prior to the split.

During the split, Raw had the World Title, the IC, and the Hardcore. They then merged all three titles in a period of a few weeks. Leaving Raw with just the World title, the World Tag titles and the Women's championship.

So my point...
We may see the WWE and World titles merged together. I personally don't like that idea, but I have a feeling that we will see that as a greater possibility versus maintaining 3 top tier titles. I have a funny feeling that they are going to have an "undisputed" champion again. But the only problem is that SD will still have their champion. So it won't be truly undisputed.
But if they have the RAW superstar drop the World title to a SD superstar at a combination PPV (such as Summerslam) then things could get to be interesting. Agains working off of the idea that the WORLD title is the top title to hold over the WWE or SD championships. Hell, if it looks like a bomb, they can always use Edge's money in the bank contract to get the WORLD title back on RAW if they can wait until the next combination PPV.

-that's all for now. Next Rant Preview: The Factions.

Remember too that Vince is a nerver say never guy. There have been people that sued him, publicly trashed him and various other things done that normal business associates would never speak to each other again over. And yet, you'll see them show up time and time again. Sable, hulk hogan and Eric Bischoff come to mind. If Vince thinks he can make money, all personal issues go to the way side.

Scratch my last post...

I guess VC's post was timely...
Never say never...

Batista is now on SD. They will bring him out in a kick ass fashion, but I am sad to see him go.

I don't watch a lot of SD, but know with Batista there, I will have to make a point of taping it. Unfortunately, I am going to also lose some interest in RAW as Batista was a major reason for me watching it.

But I guess I had it coming, in a round about way...
I did say the HITC winner was going to be going to SD.

I guess we'll see Bastista tear up SD and hopefully put some tenure in a champ.

(But keep in mind, there is still time for Trades to take place.)

Top Bottom