Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Guys wearing weight belts no matter what exercise.....

gymtime said:
I'd be VERY careful with this one. According to this, I wouldn't need a belt until I put 450 on the squat rack. To anyone other than an experienced lifter, powerlifter or otherwise, that's just insane. Hell I've been lifting for over ten years and I don't even approach those kinds of numbers. I put on the belt starting at 285, roughly 65lbs over my bodyweight.

Yes. It's all very cool and macho to put up a bunch of weight without a belt. And granted, belts do tend to be overused. However they do serve a purpose. Not everyone who uses them is an idiot. I know a lot of the guys who wear them for every excercise probably don't need them. However I know guys who have had chronic back problems and the belt stays on through their entire workouts. It's not a fashion statement, it's a necessity.

So keep in mind, sometimes they are there for a reason.

I don't understand why pushing up 450 without a belt is a big deal at all? If you need a belt at lower weights (like at 265) your core is too weak. You need to strengthen your spinal erectors. You risk an injury by relying on a belt for lower weights like that because when you do go heavy, your body won't be able to handle it and you'll have to use your belt as a crutch instead of just for support.

I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but body builders are weaker than Powerlifters. Body builders are more likely to use improper form and rely on equipment like belts to braces to help them get by. (Not saying that this is the case with you). We powerlifter use as good as form as is possible and then use our equipment to push us beyond the natural limits... where again.. some bb's use their equipment to get them close to natural limits.

I'll say this, I squat close to 700lbs and I don't put a belt on untill I get at about 500lbs (I weigh about 265). The guys on my powerlifting team (from all over the midwest) Refrain from using belts till they get to about 2X body weight in training. So I know that I'm not the only one. I've been to Seminars By Metal Militia and by West Side barbell, and that is where I got the 2X bodyweight for belts to begin with.

You should go to a powerlifting meet sometime and ask the fella's there when they put on their belts.. after reading what you just posted.. I think you'll be very suprised.

Phreezer_Machine said:
I don't understand why pushing up 450 without a belt is a big deal at all? If you need a belt at lower weights (like at 265) your core is too weak. You need to strengthen your spinal erectors. You risk an injury by relying on a belt for lower weights like that because when you do go heavy, your body won't be able to handle it and you'll have to use your belt as a crutch instead of just for support.

I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but body builders are weaker than Powerlifters. Body builders are more likely to use improper form and rely on equipment like belts to braces to help them get by. (Not saying that this is the case with you). We powerlifter use as good as form as is possible and then use our equipment to push us beyond the natural limits... where again.. some bb's use their equipment to get them close to natural limits.

I'll say this, I squat close to 700lbs and I don't put a belt on untill I get at about 500lbs (I weigh about 265). The guys on my powerlifting team (from all over the midwest) Refrain from using belts till they get to about 2X body weight in training. So I know that I'm not the only one. I've been to Seminars By Metal Militia and by West Side barbell, and that is where I got the 2X bodyweight for belts to begin with.

You should go to a powerlifting meet sometime and ask the fella's there when they put on their belts.. after reading what you just posted.. I think you'll be very suprised.

You are making enourmous and incorrect assumptions here. Not everyone wants to be a powerlifter. No, 450 is no big deal...FOR YOU. But for the majority of people who workout regularly, it's huge. And to advise those people not to wear a belt until they start putting up those kinds of numbers is simply irresponsible.

My core is too weak? By who's standards? Yours? Powerlifters in general? Dude most people who go to the gym are not putting every ounce of energy they have into becoming as strong as they can at all costs. Most people go to get or stay in good shape and maybe put on some muscle. It's not always about strength.

And yes, bodybuilders are typically weaker than powerlifters. But powerlifters are fatter than bodybuilders too. I mean we could go down that road all day long, but that's not really the point. And no, bodybuilders do not use improper form, they use a different form that is comensurate to their goals, which are completely different from yours.

And thanks, but I have no desire to go to a powerlifting show. I have all the respect in the world for you guys, but what you do is of no interest to me, any more than going to a bodybuilding show would be of any interest to you. My goals are completely different from yours. That doesn't make either of us smarter or better, just different.

You need to keep in mind who's reading this board. Most are NOT powerlifters. That's why we have a PL board. You really need to consider that when you're giving out advice to people that is potentially dangerous.

If you don't have a bad back, and aren't lifting near your 1 rep max then there is no need for a belt.

Most people with bad backs rely on belts as crutches. They just make their lower back weaker by relying on the belt and not strengthening their weakness. If you have a bad back then belts definitely have a time and place in your workout. If you don't have a bad back and aren't working towards a 1-rep max then why where the belt?

Most people with bad backs rely on belts as crutches. They just make their lower back weaker by relying on the belt and not strengthening their weakness. If you have a bad back then belts definitely have a time and place in your workout. If you don't have a bad back and aren't working towards a 1-rep max then why where the belt? If you're maintaining proper form there shouldn't be a problem.

crew9 said:
Most people with bad backs rely on belts as crutches. They just make their lower back weaker by relying on the belt and not strengthening their weakness. If you have a bad back then belts definitely have a time and place in your workout. If you don't have a bad back and aren't working towards a 1-rep max then why where the belt?

Alright. So what if your back problem is not a muscular problem, but a disc problem? Or some other spinal problem. Then what?

these guys that i am talking about look like they have been lifting for a while. They are really rude though, if i ever speak to them they act like they didn't hear you. They are just cocksuckers plain and simple that think they are pro's.

crew9 said:
Most people with bad backs rely on belts as crutches. They just make their lower back weaker by relying on the belt and not strengthening their weakness. If you have a bad back then belts definitely have a time and place in your workout. If you don't have a bad back and aren't working towards a 1-rep max then why where the belt? If you're maintaining proper form there shouldn't be a problem.

This is my sentiment as well. I don't ever anticipate using them unless I tried a 1 RM and I have no intention of doing that.

Gotta build the core.

i feel that using a belt is cheating myself of core strength and functionality of power. i cant squat 2x my weight. actually i havent tried because my core is too weak. if i had a disc problem and it was the only way i could lift, then maybe. but then i would be dealing with more issues than just a bad back, like how the hell do i keep my abs in shape? anyway, maybe for serious weight with squats or deads i would use one. but otherwise its a waste of my energy to weaken my core.

Top Bottom